THR One crutch

midouri

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I’m 2 weeks over left THR surgery and all is fairly good so far I think. I’m following the advice here and have only been going around the house walking and also doing very little physio which seems to be paying off as I’m only taking solpadeine at night and I’ve no real pain with hip.

Have good strength (can lift the leg extended a few cm off the bed and hold for a few seconds). The only thing is, I’m waking at night with a stiff numb big toe which is sometimes painful. I put a heat pad on the foot today as it is very cold and prob poor circulation as foot is elevated most of the day. Did any of you experience this??
L x

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us. I'm unfamiliar with what you've described but possibly our Nurse Director, @Josephine can advise. I've tagged her for you so check back in case she has questions.

Please find below the Recovery Guidelines. Consider reading through the articles thoroughly as the information is beneficial.
Stop by often, we'd love to follow your journey.
A great weekend to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @midouri

I’m waking at night with a stiff numb big toe which is sometimes painful.
That's very curious! But first, some questions:

1. what are your pain levels in that toe? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of walking, housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.
Please describe in detail

Hi Josephine,
I’m thinking it’s probably poor circulation. I’ve no pain in general, off all pain meds. I’m only walking about the house so not much walking yet. There’s no change in colour of the foot but it’s cold. They toe usually only pains me at night.

May I suggest you bring it up at your post op visit and follow your OS's direction.
Wishing you all the best in the New Year as you continue healing.
Stay in touch, we love updates.
A great weekend to you!
@midouri

Hi @midouri
We have had our operations just 3 days apart, mine was revision of my left hip replacement.
When I red your thread, what immediately popped into my mind is Raynaud phenomenon or adverse effect of the medications used. I would recommend you to visit or consult a rheumatologist if the situation continues.
Take care

Thanks Sansabosa,
It’s not as painful now. I’m thinking it might be due to inflammation from the peroneal branch of the sciatic nerve maybe. I hope it passes. I’m up now walking a good bit so maybe it’ll ease.
Lisa x

:hi:Hope you are doing well and finding your groove with this recovery business.
Lots of come and go sensations with this journey...so keep the faith!:ok:

Thanks Mojo,
I think the toe is ok now sort of. I suppose I do always have cold feet. I’m week 3 today. I hope I’m progressing at a good rate; I’m walking in the evenings outside for 10 minutes but not doing much physio. I’ve no pain but leg still feels quite swollen; if I try to gently bend the leg backwards whilst standing it doesn’t go back much is this due to swelling? I guess it’s normal?
I’ve been trying to see what others are doing at 3 weeks. I saw many people on YouTube doing squats at 3 weeks and I was horrified (I’m sure that activity will come against them a day or two later).
I’m still on 2 crutches.
L x

I’ve been trying to see what others are doing at 3 weeks. I saw many people on YouTube doing squats at 3 weeks and I was horrified (I’m sure that activity will come against them a day or two later).
This is just plain risky so early out. Please don't believe these silly people. They are not at all normal and the fact they had to post something to prove their ignorance says it all.

We all progress in this recovery differently. Sounds like you are doing just fine at so early out. Are you still icing and elevating to help control that swelling?

I’m not icing that much, should I be?
In terms of elevating, I sit on my bed with legs outstretched ... should I elevate the leg a bit?
L x

I would keep icing especially if you have any swelling or pain. As far as stretches go what did your OS recommend? My OS gave me a book all about THR and a simple handout sheet of basic stretches. Do you have any restrictions?, what was the approach? Others here that have had anterior say there is a restriction about moving your leg rearward.

Hi midouri,
Yes, Ice and elevate (toes above nose) Josephine the forum Nurse recommends icing for 40-60 mins each session. Do it several times per day. Target 4 x daily and see how it goes.
I hope you have a nice evening!
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

Keep the Avtivity Progression for THR in mind as a rough gauge of where you should be.
It's much more realistic than doing squats at three weeks post op.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Lastly....for your reading pleasure - :heehee:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/

@midouri

Last edited:
Eman, before I left the hospital the physio just said to do some ankle pumps, buttock squeezes and heel slides which I’ve avoided.
I’m just mainly walking that’s it

@midouri You don't need to do any exercises. All new hips really need is walking and then not to excess.

Do try the icing as Layla recommended. It does help reduce any swelling.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom