Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

THR On the waiting list - still have questions

MoveOn1

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,
My surgeon/hospital has me on the waiting list due to COVID. They said it will likely be after the new year. Which gives me plenty time to figure things out. My surgeon stated that he would need to lengthen my leg as part of the surgery by just a small margin. I asked if this was common he says that it was unique to me. I have read that people will have a limp after replacement due to leg length differential but I’m not sure if the surgeon purposely lengthen their leg. Any experience with this? He also said that there is a 10% chance I’d need a hip brace for a few weeks. Anyone heard of this?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My surgeon stated that he would need to lengthen my leg as part of the surgery by just a small margin.
Did your surgeon indicate that you already had a LLD. He may just be correcting a difference. Best to ask him about this.

My surgeon corrected my LLD during my RTHR. Before that time I used a lift in my right shoe.
He also said that there is a 10% chance I’d need a hip brace for a few weeks.
Hip braces are not routine. But a 10% chance is pretty low. Sounds like your surgeon is just going over all the possibilities. They need to do this as a part of getting your consent for surgery.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi @MoveOn1 and :welome:
Sorry you are on hold for your new hip but you definitely are in the right place for advice and support.
I found the forum a great place to get the scoop from those who have been there and done that.
My surgeon stated that he would need to lengthen my leg as part of the surgery by just a small margin. I asked if this was common he says that it was unique to me
Each of our anatomies are unique so a good surgeon is going to take that into consideration when assessing how to best give you a new hip with the best results. I've heard many members speak about the surgeon correcting the leg length differential with their hip surgery.

I have read that people will have a limp after replacement do to leg length differential but I’m not sure if the surgeon purposely lengthen their leg. Any experience with this?
Well, we all limp temporarily after surgery until all that soft tissue settles and our bodies adjust to our new hips.
:) :-) (:

Last edited:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Allijaxley
Recent bookmarks