THR On the Other Side

I now have 2 artificial knees and 2 artificial hips
Wow! The pain you must have endured for all of that….I can’t imagine. I’m so happy for you that all of the surgery is now behind you. Wishing you lots of luck in this final recovery and a quick job search. It is rewarding to be employed and feel like you’re doing something worthwhile, so I can understand your reasoning there.

If you can let us know the date of your other knee replacement (maybe month, year) we can add it to your signature.
I can’t figure out how to edit my signature…Maybe it has to be done by an administrator???
I had LTK (Left Total Knee) done 10/13/20
So if you can add that for me please do so…

I still use one crutch occasionally around the house, when my hip starts complaining, and i am five weeks post surgery. I feel I need that support still, and especially when walking outside eventually. Crutches also help when trying to adjust my gait, which is a problem at the end of the day when I suspect my hip feels a bit tired.

Happy Four Months, Lefty!
Hope you’re doing well this week. Wishing you a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Polarbear1965
Thanks Layla, Doing well I think. I’m a little over one week post-op with the right one now, but still working on finding the muscle strength to lift my leg…Can’t remember having this much trouble with the left one…

Don’t be disappointed. Keep reminding yourself that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. Even though we’d rather get the more difficult one over first. :wink: Very early days and it’s all temporary. My dad has his hips replaced five months apart and his second recovery wasn’t his best of the two either. I can’t help but think it may have something to do with your body still in healing mode from the first controlled trauma (surgery) it endured. You’ll get there though.

I’ll bet you’re feeling different and better a week from now. Ice, elevate, rest and repeat. You know the drill. I hope you sleep well tonight.
@Polarbear1965

I feel like I have a tight groin muscle on this latest surgery that I do not remember dealing with on the last one…I am trying to stretch it out, but it continues to be a source of pain and frustration… I really hope this is a temporary condition…

Remember that those hip and pelvic area muscle are mostly interrelated, and what affects one can affect its 'friends'. And yours are still so early on in recovery from major trauma. In my experience an angry muscle can be made even more upset with stretching or other work. Maybe try ice/heat and leave off stretching for a little while?
I hope you feel better soon.

I too had a much sorer thigh with the second hip. I had log leg, which was definitely a new experience. I didn’t stretch or exercise it, just iced, rested and elevated, and it got better by itself. The second recovery was slower than the first to start with, but then quicker. Currently, at nearly 4 months, the second hip has fallen behind again. Or possibly it is having its post 4 month setback early, so it might still be the winner. (I hope so, having placed a million pound bet on it). But seriously, it doesn’t matter, they will both end up in the same place.

subie21 Okay, maybe I will just ice it and rest it and not try to stretch it for awhile. I don’t wanna make the muscle “angrier” by being impatient…
Klassy, What do you mean by “log leg”…??? If you mean basically “dead” and cannot lift it up onto the couch or bed under it’s own power and has to be lifted, then that is what I’m dealing with…That top thigh/groin muscle won’t lift it, and it doesn’t want to straighten out and let me stand up straight either…It almost feels like the muscle is not long enough now if that makes any sense…It’s keeping me back on crutches at this point.

Hello and Happy Saturday!
At only ten days post op, you don’t need to be doing much aside from icing / elevating, resting and taking a 5-10 minute walk every hour or two which can usually be accomplished by a trip to the bathroom, or kitchen to get a drink or something to eat.

Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

Here is a more detailed explanation I found through researching -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

If you don’t have a Leg Lifter, the belt from a bathrobe will work just as well. Hope this helps. :)
@Polarbear1965

Just a little over two weeks post-op on my last total hip replacement…
Getting better every day now.
Walking without crutches, but not very far.
Hoping to start some serious walking outdoors within the next couple weeks, and cycling soon after…
Need to build back stamina, strength, muscle, and lose a lot of weight that has accumulated since my journey began in 2013…
Sure have enjoyed the encouragement and information I’ve received from this forum.
I wish everyone here the very best…

Hi @Polarbear1965
I noticed that your thread was locked and so I copied your above post from Four Replacements Club.
Don't know how that happened? :shrug: Gremlins!

Sounds like you are starting to get over those rough first weeks and looking forward to getting back to life.
Still early days, so do keep it slow and steady.
I know this isn't your first rodeo, but just don't want to see you put yourself in the dreaded O.D.I.C.:nah:

Hope your weekend is sweet!

Need to build back stamina, strength, muscle, and lose a lot of weight
This is how I feel too. I feel so incredibly out of shape and weak. I cannot wait to be able to do more exercises. Congrats on feeling better each day! You must be so relieved this is your last recovery.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope the last couple weeks since you posted have been good and you continue to enjoy steady progress. Sounds like you’re doing well.
Have a wonderful weekend! :wave:
@Polarbear1965

Just over 4 weeks post-op.
Went for a bicycle ride over the weekend.
Muscles are sore, but in a good way now.
Hope to incorporate some water therapy and swimming into my rehab soon, as well as walking and cycling. Still getting better every day. After several years of struggling with this stuff, I finally have no bone on bone pain in my knees and hip joints…
So I feel it is just a matter of getting all the muscles built back up now and regaining strength…When I stop to think about it, I find it hard to believe that I now have 2 artificial knees and 2 artificial hips, but modern technology is amazing and I am very thankful for it…

:wave:So good to see your update @Polarbear1965 :happydance:
After several years of struggling with this stuff, I finally have no bone on bone pain in my knees and hip joints…
:yes!:This is why we go through all this recovery business...and you friend, have certainly had quite the time of it.

So I feel it is just a matter of getting all the muscles built back up now and regaining strength…
Yes... the tricky part...
Adding activity incrementally and trying to build up slowly so we can get back to healthy and happy.
You are inspiring to many members and I hope things continue to get better and better.:) :-) (:

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
When I stop to think about it, I find it hard to believe that I now have 2 artificial knees and 2 artificial hips, but modern technology is amazing and I am very thankful for it
I hope both hips and knees are serving you well and I am wishing you a wonderful Summer 2022. Enjoy!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • eaglemom
    Staff member since May 24, 2021
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member