THR On the other side!

Nothing like being outside for some nice summer air. I used one pillow on my recliner and just reclined back. I did not have a wedge so did not attempt that. I did ice constantly though when reclining.

I also used a pillow to make the recliner seat at least level and then reclined which kept everything 90 degrees or less. I later used a wedge on regular chairs and the car seat to raise my hips up a little higher than my knees. A pillow would still work but the wedge was more convenient to move around. Glad you got out in the sunshine. My first outing was in a March that had a little early Spring snap. It was WONDERFUL!

Hello @Creampuff
Following is an article on ELEVATION from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven’t made it through all of the articles. I hope it helps clarify, but if you have any questions please let us know.
Wonderful news you made it outdoors for some fresh air and beautiful sunshine. Hopefully you can do it again soon! :SUNsmile:

I have learned over the last 9 days that I don't understand the concepts of rest, ice and elevation. I have done more than is optimal everyday and ended up with swelling and discomfort. Finally,
I think I am doing this right! So, not doing much of anything and I'm much more comfortable after the last 24 hours.

Wonderful that you are more comfortable. Lesson learned. Now to remember it and not over do again. This can be a hard lesson to learn for most of us. Listen to your body and your hip. Just because you can does not mean you need to do everything right now. Let yourself heal. It is a major operation even if we come out of it walking and talking and out of the hospital so quickly these days. I hope you have a restful night and have another easy day tomorrow full of comfort.

I think I am doing this right!

Great news, Creampuff! If you haven’t made it through the Recovery Guidelines yet, please take the time to read the article I linked. I referred to it often in the early weeks of my recovery and it kept me from overdoing it.

Glad you’re feeling more comfortable! :)

I think I am doing this right!

Great news, Creampuff! If you haven’t made it through the Recovery Guidelines yet, please take the time to read the article I linked. I referred to it often in the early weeks of my recovery and it kept me from overdoing it.

Glad you’re feeling more comfortable! :)
I did read these and of course believed that I am an exception! I'm having a restful evening. Thanks!

So, another milestone! Staples came out today, all 40 of them. The incision looks good and the xray is good. I go back in 6 weeks. Apparently, most their patients opt for home health and come to the office in the 3rd week after hip replacement so I am unusual. All is well and I will need to determine when I will be able to return to work. I'm going to PT tomorrow for my 2nd visit and continue this recovery process.

:yahoo:YAY, staples removed. I always felt so much freer once that occurred. Enjoy and celebrate your milestone.

Definitely celebrate those staples being gone! They are definitely the pits. :snork:

if you can hold off going back to work until 10-12 weeks post-op I think you'll be feeling so much better.

Hello All,
Now 3 weeks post op. I haven't taken narcotics for several days and I can drive to therapy or other errands. Here's my question, when I first stand up after sitting or reclining, my hip feels very uncomfortable and I am very unsteady, like weight bearing is difficult. After a couple of steps, all is well. I asked my PT about it and she said the last person she took care of with a hip replacement said the same thing. In therapy, I am finding that lifting my leg up is very challenging when doing steps or the marching. She asked me if I could do that pre-op. Who marches that isn't in the band or military? I doubt that I could have!

Hello All,
Now 3 weeks post op. I haven't taken narcotics for several days and I can drive to therapy or other errands. Here's my question, when I first stand up after sitting or reclining, my hip feels very uncomfortable and I am very unsteady, like weight bearing is difficult. After a couple of steps, all is well. I asked my PT about it and she said the last person she took care of with a hip replacement said the same thing. In therapy, I am finding that lifting my leg up is very challenging when doing steps or the marching. She asked me if I could do that pre-op. Who marches that isn't in the band or military? I doubt that I could have!

I'm having this same thing happen to me, specially when I wake up from bed. I feel best mid day when I'm wearing my shoes, I can with out my cane. I think it maybe do to the trauma of the surgery which was about a month ago.

There is the stutter step at first after standing. I had it for a bit. I would stand up and make sure I was upright and oriented before taking first step and concentrating on proper gait. Some people do some stretching while seated before standing to help with this.

Often people take some time before they can march or lift that leg easily. Slow and steady progress will normally get you there. Did you do stairs normally before surgery? I could not so it was a relearning for my brain and leg to be able to lift up and carry my weight on stairs. I had stairs in the house so instead of marching in place I would try to do one or two stairs the normal way just to see how I was progressing. I would add to the stairs (I have 15 total to get upstairs) as I progressed slowly till my hip decided I could do them all.

Have a peaceful day.

I did stairs one at a time preop so there is relearning to do. The biggest issue is lifting that left leg high enough. I made it happen in therapy with a 6 inch step but it was a stretch. I thought the "stutter step" was probably normal but wanted to ask others.
Thank you for the information. I find that I am pretty tired and need my rest.

Another question...I was sitting outside today and tried to lift my operative leg up to rest on a chair in front of me. I felt some pain and sort of grinding. Could that be some scar tissue or maybe I was trying a motion contraindicated by hip precautions? I am resting and icing now. I can bear weight so don't think it's serious. I have therapy in the morning and I think I need to pull back a bit on the exercises at least tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts