THR On the other side!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hello! :welome:Welcome to recovery and congratulations on your new hip.
Please request ice if they're not already providing as it does help with pain and swelling.
I hope your pain is well managed and you’re able to rest comfortably. Please stay in touch, we look forward to following your recovery. :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your shiny new hip. I am glad that they are working on pain control. Don't forget to ask for ice if it is not provided. I hope you get some rest and have lovely dreams of a nice strong hip taking you places.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to see you on the Healing Side :flwrysmile:
The first days certainly can be a bit jarring....All Temporary and well worth the end result

Hugsxxxxx

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the recovery side of things! You did it! I hope you were able to snag some restful sleep last night and when you are up to it, read the helpful recovery links that were left for you.

Most important, speak up if you are in pain and keep the ice packs coming..

Looking forward to seeing your updates, when you are up to it. :ice:

OP
OP
Creampuff

Creampuff

Country
Slept off and on last night and this morning. I had my first PT session and I want to stay another night, Covid or not! I need the time. Just ordered a bedside commode for home in case I don't feel like doing the stairs.
Thanks all!

TomT

Country
Congratulations on coming to the other side. I'm a little over a week since my surgery. I wish you a quick recovery. Good call on the beside toilet you'll definitely not want to climb some stairs every time you need to go. Specially since you'll be drinking plenty of fluids not trying to scare you or anything but once you get home from the hospital and the constant supply of drugs is out of your system your pain will increase a bit but not enough to worry but enough that constantly going up stairs will not be fun.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
I didn’t have the Covid concern but I stayed another night as well. I would do it again even now. I did need it because I got to my room late in the evening after PT had gone home. Also we never got a handle on my pain that first 24 hours. That would have been horrible for my hubby to have had to deal with. The resident doc really tried to convince me to go home but in vain. When my OS rounded, he said no hurry on that or PT just do what I felt up to. It was a great decision and I felt much more ready to go home the next day. Best wishes for a comfortably productive day balanced with rest and the best night you can have tonight. Looking forward to your next update. ❤

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I hope you are having a good day and pain is controlled and of course :ice:. I am glad you spoke up about staying to make sure you are totally comfortable before leaving the hospital. You know yourself best. Wishing you a restful night.

OP
OP
Creampuff

Creampuff

Country
After the therapy today, 2 PT and 1 OT session, I am very sore. We increased the oral pain med and keeping things iced up. My doc told me that once he got into my hip joint, the arthritis was much worse than it appeared on xray.
Anyway, resting tonight. I appreciate all of you so much!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Creampuff welcome to the healing side, sounds like they still need to work on getting your pain controlled. Don't be afraid to speak up if you're still in pain, also in need of more ice. Resting, ice and elevation right now are the best things for you.

Sounds like a pretty aggressive PT/OT schedule. If something hurts please don't hesitate to stop doing it or not do it at all. Right now you need to concentrate on your recovery not building up muscles or training. Hopefully you get some good rest tonight.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Creampuff rest well! I understand about wanting another night.
That PT/OT schedule does sound rough! Remember, you can always refuse in-home PT and save your benefits for after your hip is more healed.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey there :wave:
Thankfully your pain is under control. I hope you sleep well tonight. Safe travels home tomorrow. Will look forward to hearing from you once you’re resting comfortably in your own space.
@Creampuff

OP
OP
Creampuff

Creampuff

Country
I am home and recovering. The stairs have turned out to be easier than I anticipated. I did put a bedside commode nearby and it's convenient. I'm blessed to have family and friends bringing food over. I am learning to ice anything that hurts! I am doing well so far and expect to continue to improve.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yay for home, nothing compares! I had some apprehension about steps also, but it turned out to be easy peasy. I only had to go up three though, so easy for me to say. I did begin practicing stairs the day after I got home because I wanted to feel comfortable navigating them. It sounds like you’re in good hands with devoted family and friends. I love your positive outlook, it will take you far.
A peaceful evening to you, Creampuff!
@Creampuff

Ava J

Country
I'm blessed to have family and friends bringing food over. I am learning to ice anything that hurts! I am doing well so far and expect to continue to improve.
Having someone help with essentials seriously cannot be overrated. We also had several people bring us food and offer other assistance, and it's been soul-warming. Definitely a huge blessing. Glad you have such good network of friends.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
There is no place like home and especially with family there. It is strange how the idea of stairs seems overwhelming till we get a new hip. It was so much easier for me to do stairs immediately after surgery than before the surgery. Have a great day with your family and keep resting and icing.

OP
OP
Creampuff

Creampuff

Country
I've made it out on the back porch with some sunshine! What did you all do to best elevate the area and maintain precautions. I have used pillows on my lift chair and tried a wedge but wasn't really sure about it. Thanks.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom