Hip Infection On the healing side

Shine533

Country
United States United States
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday!

I had my first left hip replacement (posterior approach) on 18 December and wanted to take a moment to update my experience.

Going in I had real concerns on how mobile I would be, how dependent on others, the level of pain. I have been very pleasantly surprised! Of course, everyone's experience is different but I wanted to post on how it went for me to maybe calm others who are facing the surgery.

I was a bit worried about having the posterior approach rather than the anterior. Don't be. As so many have said here, it's not the approach, it's the surgeon's skill and experience.

Spinal: No big deal. They numbed me a bit beforehand and I hardly felt the needle. After that I remember nothing and woke up in recovery under a pile of warm blankets. (If you are worried about waking up during the surgery, don't. You'll be in good hands; they have this thing down to a system!)

The actual surgery took just over an hour and I was up and walking the length of my room using the walker about 4 hours later. No low BP or nausea, nurse had the bag ready just in case, but I was very careful and deliberate taking those steps. Also used the bathroom about that time without aid.

Time in hospital: Everyone was very nice but you do get interrupted frequently at night to check vitals, take blood, give meds, etc. Be prepared to give your name and date of birth date about a hundred times. Don't expect to get much sleep! Bringing your own nightshirt gives you more modesty than the gown and a comforting sense of wearing something familiar.

PT while in hospital: Wear shorts and a tee shirt (mine was coed). Did some walking on the walker and shown some simple exercises like tightening the thigh muscle on the op leg.

Released with the usual restrictions (don't bend over, cross ankles, etc.) and weight-bearing as tolerated.

At home I did fine on the stairs, one of my biggest concerns. In fact, because I was used to going up/down one foot at a time and then bringing the other foot up/down, it was actually easier after the surgery than before.

Showering by myself, another concern, also went well (but how I miss my bubble baths!).
My biggest issue the first three days at home was a terrible sinus-type headache in the mornings. Maybe a lingering affect of the spinal. It went away and I haven't been bothered by it since. Also had a bit of nausea the first few mornings, but that went away as well.

Now just over a week out I am mostly using the cane and sometimes walking with nothing at all, only because I feel very sturdy on my feet. I don't advise anyone else tries it this early! I haven't experienced much pain except tightness at the surgery site (but still on pain meds: oxy 2x/day, Celebrex 2x/day, Tizanidine 1x/day). I do rest a great deal every day but haven't had the energy drain hit.

I find I can lean down adequately if I use the golfer's reach, keeping the op leg extended straight out behind me.

Now, a few caveats/tips:
Please don't compare my experience with your own, everyone is different! I share it only to say things may not be (and probably won't be) as bad as you may be thinking. It's true that the worst part are the days leading up to the surgery. Try and relax knowing you will be in the hands of a seasoned team who does this on a regular basis.

Do your homework beforehand so you have an idea what to expect. This site is invaluable. Set up your house and freeze a few meals. Line up some help when you first come home. All of this will help you feel more in control and ready.

Get your aids ready: I have a grabber, walker, cane, and of course, ice packs. Designate a big comfy chair (I use a recliner) and keep diversions handy: books, water, blanket, phone/charger, CD player, etc. (The cat on the lap was a favorite aid!)

Keep your walking and other movements slow and deliberate. Make sure you don't trip. Cconsciously lift your feet and walk heel-to-toe.

Most of all, trust in your surgeon. I attribute my recovery so far to his skill. Dr. Ranjan Maitra of Orthro Carolina, in Charlotte, NC.

You will be amazed because all of the energy-sapping arthritis pain will be gone!
Wishing all of my fellow hip travelers a wonderful, healthy New Year!

Hi there,
Welcome to Recovery and Congrats on your new hip!
What a nice informative post. I'm sure some pre-op members will be thankful for the info.
Following are the Recovery Guidelines of which many will still apply. Stop back often we'd love to offer support as you continue on your healing journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Shine533

:happydance: No more OA pain is indeed amazing!
You sound to be doing Very Well!
Keep your recovery slow and steady and you will be back to life in a big way in short order!
Healing hugs...and a flower:flwrysmile:

Thanks, all. I am taking it slow and steady but continuing to make good progress. Off the oxy as of a few days ago. Bandage is completely off the surgery site and all looks good. Now just taking Celebrex and Tizanidine.

Taking a cue from this forum and putting off PT indefinitely since I seem to be getting around well. I'm not keen on introducing anything that might get in the way of healing. I am doing stairs several times a day and walking. I thought I'd start doing a bit more walking over the next few weeks (maybe a jaunt to the mall).

My biggest problem are these recurring spells (several times a day) where I feel very hot and sweaty. Temp is normal. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now. Side effect of the Celebrex or Tizanidine? Or maybe menopause rearing its ugly head once again, because I had to stop pills (Orthro-Tricyclen, about a third of a tab) pre-surgery that helped prevent hot flashes? Whatever it is, I hope it eases soon! So hard to get a good night's sleep when you can't cool down. Anyone have suggestions on coping with this?
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2019! :loveshwr:

Sounds like a wonderful report ... very nicely organized ... love the writing. Hopefully the spells will disappear soon.

Shine, you sound like you are doing so well!:ok:
I had weird temperature fluctuations (premenopausal) after my surgery...but hard to tell if it was meds, after-effects of surgery, or hormones.
I kept a fan blowing on me at night..my husband froze!:umm:
Something was always interrupting my sleep for quite some time. Temperature, restless legs, you name it.
The aggravating parts of recovery!:doh:
Hang in there.
Still early days for you...
All well worth it in the end!

Last edited:
Hi Shine,
Happy New Year! It sounds like you're doing really well. Sorry about the overheated dizzy spells.
I'd start with looking up side-effects of any meds your taking. If you get no satisfaction there, I'd either
try to wait it out, or call my doc for some reassurance. It sounds med or surgery related since it's only recent. But, I'm not a medical professional. I hope it eases soon.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Shine533

Shine 533, I very much enjoyed reading your post op experience. I am getting my new hip this coming Tuesday also Posterior and have been obsessed on finding as much information as possible on what to expect after my surgery.
I also have second guessed myself on choosing a surgeon that only does the posterior approach but feel better about my decision after reading posts like yours and others.

What a great forum this is!

@goblue61, best wishes on your surgery! I'll be thinking of you! Don't fear the posterior approach. In the hands of a good surgeon the approach does not matter. You'll do great!

Turns out "night sweats" are one of the lesser-known side effects of good old Celebrex, along with ringing in the ears, which I also had a bit of. I checked with the surgeon's office and they gave me the go-ahead to stop taking it. Now on just 2 aspirin a day and Tylenol if I need it. Sweats have tapered off. Good riddance!
Have a good night, all.

I'm glad you are done with that....good for you for pursuing it with OS.
Hope you have a healing weekend!
:ice:

Hi :hi:
That news must be a relief. I'm happy you checked into it and are able to do without the Celebrex. It's great the symptoms are easing, that's the best news! I hope you have a nice weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Shine533

Hi everyone,
At just about 1 month out of a pretty strong recovery, I decided to do one session of PT yesterday just to make sure I wasn't missing anything important. The PT had me balance on the op leg, lift up the op leg knee as high as possible, moved the leg around to measure ROM, and had me do a few exercises. (I eyed the band with trepidation but did the exercise--very carefully!--lying with it around my knees and both knees up, pulling the knees apart as much as possible.)
He was pleased with how I did and everything felt fine as I was doing it, even good, although I didn't feel like I got that much out of the experience and decided afterward I probably wouldn't go back. (I am glad I waited one month before going to any PT. Can't imagine doing any of this a few days after surgery as was originally scheduled!)
I came home and iced the leg while relaxing on the recliner. Then I decided I felt up to doing 3 miles on the exercise bike. Again, it felt fine while I was in motion, and I didn't push myself much.
This morning I stayed in bed until 9:15 and felt like a truck hit me. Everything hurts, and I have no energy.
Guess I overdid it just a tad, yes??! Say hi to your newest member of the ODIC. :no-fin:
On the agenda today is nothing but resting and icing.
One question: Would it be good to start back on the Celebrex anti-inflammatory to help me over this hump? The night sweats continue, although not as bad, so I don't think Celebrex was the culprit for that.
Hope all my BS friends are doing well either pre- or post-surgery!

Hi @Shine533 , you are 8 days behind me chronologically and miles ahead of me in activities. Congratulations, it sounds like you are making an excellent recovery, other than this little detour to visit ODIC. I’m no expert, but I’ve been on Bonesmart long enough to predict that you will shortly be told loud and clear not to do those exercises, and that you are doing the right thing: rest ice and elevate and all will be well. I don’t know about Celebrex, but I have been off pain meds for a while, but have gone back on for a good night’s sleep as needed, then off again, no problem.

I too have hot flushes after discontinuing HRT in preparation for op. I make sure my bedroom is chilly ( husband and I have separate rooms for now, as he feels the cold) and I take a fresh ice pack to bed, which I move from hip to chest or forehead if I feel overheated.

Hi Shine, Your recovery is wonderful and thank you for your surgery journal. I am very anxious about the spinal and need to try to ditch that concern for peace of mind. I had to suddenly stop HRT due to a blood clot and can attest to being thrown right back into the night sweats, hot flashes with accompanying nausea. Especially annoying with all the other post surgical things you are coping with. Keep up the great work and try to stay out of the ODIC!

:flwrysmile:

Thank you Klassy and Carriemay60! It's nice to know someone else is in this same boat. I too think it's good old menopause rearing its ugly head, although I do remember hot flashes as being somewhat different. Determined to tough this out and not go back to the meds I was on for them. I'm taking some Black Cohesh thing but it doesn't help much. It's annoying as heck, getting that prickling feeling, sweating, throwing off the covers, only to feel chilled shortly after. Arrgh.
@Klassy, I've been following your thread and it sounds like you are doing just fine! (I'm betting you don't feel like you were hit by a truck today...)
@Carriemay60, Like you I was concerned about the spinal--naturally, the idea of a shot in the back scared me. But when they sat me up, I leaned into a pillow the OR nurse held, which was comforting, and the anesthesiologist applied something to numb the area before the injection. I truly didn't feel a thing.
Ask your anesthesiologist for something to help you relax before they wheel you in to the OR. That helped, too.
I'm betting you will do great!
I'm kicking myself I succumbed to curiosity and did the PT. The guy had a t-shirt on that said "We put the FUN in FUNCTION." He was working with someone else in addition to me. All he was missing was a whistle around his neck. Still, a nice fellow, and great for some--everybody's journey is different--but not for me, I think.

I am not quite as worried about the needle as I am the fear of waking up a bit or being aware of anything. I do plan to ask for something for relaxation as I always get so upset almost to the point of hyperventilating on the way to the OR. Sometimes I feel like that hallway is about 2 miles long!

Shine,
Its great you are doing well and feel good enough to want to do more. I think most all of us are a bit stir crazy during recovery and our minds want us more active that our body/hip will allow.
Jaycey and others keep reminding us of PT not being needed and you have given us a first hand testimonial.

Sure hope your discomfort is temporary and you are better tomorrow. Let us know.

Sometimes the only way we know what is too much is when we overdo.
:upright:hey...this doesn't feel so bad...think I'll keep going!:whistle:
It seems it never hurts until we stop!:sigh:
There will be muscle complaints along the way as we engage them in new ways...but still early early days for you.
A few easy does it days should get you back on track!
Back on ice..:ice:
Hope all eases soon @Shine533 :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie