THR On My Feet Again

SE Florida

post-grad
Country
United States United States
And I'm back at home; 2 nights in hospital. Surgery went very well but had problems with low blood pressure and hemoglobin levels. I had 2 transfusions. First night home was a bit
sketchy but doing much better today. Doing a little walking and ankle pumps. A lot of ice and sleeping though! Thanks to all who wished me well wishes!

Hi, Welcome to Recovery! :welome: Congratulations on your new hip.
It sounds as though you had a bit of a rough start but thankfully you're home and moving forward.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often. We'll be here to offer support as you're healing.
A peaceful evening to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @SE Florida

Last edited:
Hi, my new hippy pal!
I do realize how jolting and tough early days can be.
Tried not to harp on it too much before op, as it isn't very helpful.:unsure:
I'm sure that the extra hiccups with bp and blood transfusions had your lived ones on edge.
Good news...all done now.:egypdance:
Sending all the best mojo your way !:roseshwr:

SE Florida I’m pulling for you! I had mine 1 day after you. I hope you continue to feel better and better! And keep up with your rest and pain meds! We’ll be back to our beautiful selves before we know it!

Sounds like everything went well. I lost a lot of blood and blood pressure was low also. I did get released but it took me 2 weeks to get any color back in my complexion. I guess you know you'll be doing a lot of sitting,icing and sleeping for a while.

Very good to see you home. I am sure you will be feeling a bit better just from the comforts of home. Rest and ice as much as you can over this next week.
:flwrysmile:

@Eman85 boy isn't that the truth! I try stay up for about 2 hours, then back to bed another 2 hours. Hope you are feeling much better now!

Last edited:
@SE Florida
Glad you are home. I didn't need extra blood but I did have the low BP problem. I think it's quite common. Luckily, it usually passes fairly quickly.
From my experience for hips you just need lots of rest now and just general walking to and from bathroom.
Expect to have a few rocky days but the light at the end of the tunnel isn't far away.

@SE Florida Congratulations, you made it. I also had low BP for a couple of days after RTHR. Resting, icing, elevation and limited activity will be the key to a smoother recovery. @Mojo333, @Layla and other advisors and members on this site will be so valuable during your recovery. I can't imagine not having this site as a resource for all the issues encountered after joint replacement. Best wishes to you.:loveshwr:

When you are recovering from surgery, those first few days can be so uncomfortable that it seems like you are just trying to get through them. But once the extreme pain and foggy brain lessen, it really helps if you try to frame the recovery as a "gift of time", as I'm sure you found out in your first recovery. It was kind of freeing, when I realized that all I had to do was rest, sleep, eat, etc. and that for one of the few times in my life I could be a "Happy Slug" and just move from one lazy position/activity to the next. I hope your recovery goes smoothly now that you are home. :flwrysmile:

:hi: Hi there...
I hope your pain is well managed and you're resting comfortably.
I know early days can be rough. Hopefully yours aren't.
Wishing you a peaceful Tuesday! :SUNsmile:
@SE Florida

Hi @SE Florida
Hope you are just taking these first days as they come (like there is choices, right?):unsure:
I just kept the mantra "all temporary...all temporary" in my head.
Healing hugs...and a flower:flwrysmile:

Hope you got some more much needed rest today and are healing comfortably. I'm guessing you are in SE Florida, the weather has been great to get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine if only for a few minutes even though we are in the midst of a "cold front" :heehee:

I need to start repeating your mantra everyday @Mojo333 because it's been more difficult than I remembered on my first hip. Or maybe it's because I'm 5 years older this go around. Everyday is a tiny bit better so adding your mantra to my routine might help get me over the edge :tiredwheel:. I've found it hard to hit the right keys on my computer or tablet so I've gotten behind but I want to thank all of the posters on my thread. It really helps to know that you are all out there. And best recovery wishes to all in recovery!

I'm sorry...even though lots of hippys discussing their experience...never want to pretend this isn't difficult.
But it IS temporary and we do emerge better than before.
Take care of yourself...try to stay hydrated, iced up, and know we are on your side.:friends:

Oh the brain fog and impaired fine motor skills ~ I remember it well after all my major surgeries! I have decided I only need to line 2 or 3 Netflix shows for the first 2 weeks this time due to A) nodding off and B) not remembering what happened 10 minutes ago! :heehee:

@Layla
I'm having problems with swelling and have been reading all of your pointers for icing & elevation. It might seem like a crazy question but I had anterior THR. My thigh, knee & foot are really swollen. Where is the best place for me to ice? My knee seems the worst with pain & swelling which makes it hard for me to do any walking. When I had my other hip done, I just iced where the incision was but I didn't have the same swelling problems. I do see my OS tomorrow. Any thoughts on this? I have not had any PT other than in the hospital before I was released. Just walking for now. I start out fine in the morning but by mid-day it gets worse.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom