THR On day 5 after THR, I found you. This is rough - thankful you're here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ncarlson :yes!: It's wonderful to hear that you are doing so much better! I found a walker very annoying to use. While mine did have wheels I still had to pick it up over edges of my rugs and yes it did hurt my hands. I found crutches much easier to use plus they helped me stand up straighter and were a bit easier on the hands.

It sounds like you have a very good set up for working from home :)

Glad you had a better day today @ncarlson, one day at a time and we'll be here for you all the way! :thumb:

The walker will only "slide" if you put tennis balls on the two back legs. It does make things easier for most people. The sliding works best on hard surfaces....not so good on carpets and even less so on throw rugs. You actually shouldn't have any throw rugs at all around your house when you're in recovery. So if you do, I suggest you put them away for a while. They are a tripping hazard and you most certainly don't need a fall.

My walker was like the one in the diagram that was posted, it had wheels on the front and legs on the back. With my first THR my house had all carpet that we knew we were replacing so I just slid it through the carpet and it was quiet. Between my first and second THR I had replaced all of the flooring so for the second I didn't want to slide it on the floors I had just installed and it was noisy and I didn't want to scratch the floor. I took 2 tennis balls and made holes in them and shoved them on the back legs.

I am right there with you! Day 6 for me today. And people are so misinformed it is ridiculous! This is MAJOR surgery, a lot of pain, and a LONG recovery period. At least 6 weeks - my doctor put in 3 months on my disability form! Some "friends" will tell you that they heard from their sister in law's cousin's neighbor that she ran a marathon 2 weeks after hip replacement. Do not listen to them, only to you and your doctor. Keep the faith - this will get better.

Some "friends" will tell you that they heard from their sister in law's cousin's neighbor that she ran a marathon 2 weeks after hip replacement.
Yes, you will probably hear several versions of this urban myth - how the friend of a friend's second-cousin's great-grandmother leapt off the theatre table, ran down the corridor, and was country-dancing a week later.

The truth is that this is a very long recovery and complete recovery of all your tissues takes as long as a full year, although you'll feel almost back to normal by about 6 months.

We do usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work, if you can, and then doing a
Phased return to work .

I am right there with you! Day 6 for me today. And people are so misinformed it is ridiculous! This is MAJOR surgery, a lot of pain, and a LONG recovery period. At least 6 weeks - my doctor put in 3 months on my disability form! Some "friends" will tell you that they heard from their sister in law's cousin's neighbor that she ran a marathon 2 weeks after hip replacement. Do not listen to them, only to you and your doctor. Keep the faith - this will get better.
There's a reason your OS put 3 mos, evidently he's a realistic OS. Anyone that told you 6 weeks was one of those "friends".

Again, you all lift my spirits like nothing else right now.
I wish I could have taken more time off work, but it isn't possible. I don't have the PTO time. I kind of slipped this in an available time slot they had - to get it over with. And told very few people at work - we've been remote since March.

I'm trying to keep the work stress to a minimum, and get the leg up a couple times during the work day with ice. Have to say, yesterday was a pretty good day. I made it entire day using one crutch, so have retired the walker.

Night time was a different story. :sigh:
First time I struggled to sleep - lots of weird thoughts, and I was very uncomfortable in the 2 positions I have available. (Are there more?)
And I again felt emotional. Still do today. :sad:

Also - what is the deal with the night sweats? I saw it mentioned in another thread. Is this a post-op thing? I'm on very few meds and no narcotics (I'm rethinking that for bed-time). Waking up drenched (not hot flashes - that's under control :) ). Is this part of my body healing? Or is it post-anesthesia related?

@bjkasz - hope you are doing well and having a great day 10 of post-op :yes:

:hi: Hi and Happy Wednesday!
Sleep can be elusive early on, but it‘s normally only temporary. I became a back sleeper out of necessity and what helped me was pillows. Lots of pillows, one here, one there, one everywhere, like a kid in a fort. I’d plop an arm over one, a leg over another etc. I highly recommend a Body Pillow, about $10 from Amazon or any Target, Walmart etc. Well worth it and I can’t fall asleep without mine three and a half years post op.

Post Op Blues are common also and short lived. Things aren’t normal for you right now as you begin healing. There are physical limitations, fatigue, pain, lack of mobility and flexibility and then there’s ”all the crazy” in the world. Enough to make anyone have a down day. But cheer up, your days will get brighter...that’s a promise! :SUNsmile:

I‘m sharing some info I found on Night Sweats -

Night Sweats - Severe episodes of excessive sweating that can drench your pajamas and sheets.

Surgery can be difficult on your body in many ways and night sweats after surgery are not uncommon. Because inflammation is common during healing, this may contribute to the sweating you are experiencing.

Night sweats can be a side effect of the anesthetic. A number of medications can potentially cause night sweats as a side effect. The drugs in your system will raise your body temperature and your body will try to cool through sweating. This is normally short lived. Staying adequately hydrated may help your body cleanse more quickly providing relief. Since medication can be a possible cause, consulting with your physician may result in adjusting dosage or initiate a switch to an alternate medication resulting in relief from the night sweats.

Hope this helps and hope your day is sweet! :)
@ncarlson

@wiggle - I only take a single 500 mg pill if needed during the day. Seems to be ok.

@wiggle .... that's a perfect question for your recovery thread. I see you asked a version of it there so I'll address my comments there instead of derailing ncarlson's thread.

Oops. Didn’t realize I shouldn’t have asked that question! ☺️

No sweat.....we have a good discussion about it going on in your thread now.:thumb:

Sleep can be elusive early on, but it‘s normally only temporary. I became a back sleeper out of necessity and what helped me was pillows. Lots of pillows, one here, one there, one everywhere, like a kid in a fort. I’d plop an arm over one, a leg over another etc. I highly recommend a Body Pillow, about $10 from Amazon or any Target, Walmart etc. Well worth it and I can’t fall asleep without mine three and a half years post op.
@ncarlson

I'm going to make a pillow nest in my bed tonight. Looking forward to some comfort. I don't get bandage off for almost a week, plus still just not comfortable trying to lay on surgery side. Hoping pillows will give me some options.

I welcome any other sleeping position suggestions from you wise people. Thanks, and sweet dreams.:sleeep:

I'm a side sleeper. With both my knees, I found that putting a row of pillows in the center of the bed so I could lean back into them and be partially on my side helped me to sleep.

Last night is my first day home. I put a body pillow next to my operation leg and one in between my legs. Having head slightly elevated helps me somewhat. You can also give it a try. :)

Thanks for all the great pillow advice!

@Layla, I went in before bed time and made a nest of pillows. It really did help. For some reason I had felt like I needed to keep my legs stiff and straight. Nervous about hurting anything I guess. I relaxed last night and nudged up against the pillows wherever they were. It felt so good to get some change in position. Just even a little bit helped. And now I realize, I can lay however I want as long as it’s comfortable.

Better each day. Nitey nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back