Bilateral TKR Oliver7598’s Bilateral TKR

Oliver7598

Country
United States United States
Hi All. I just found this forum. I had bi-lateral TKR November 10, 2022. Some where I was told that after 3 months I would be back to normal...yah, not so much. What is the expectation for pain free knees. I talked to a guy who had TKR and told me it took him a year

@Oliver7598 Hi and Welcome!

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

This recovery does indeed take an average of a year, though there are many stories out there about different time frames. Everyone is different and we can’t compare our recovery to anyone else’s recovery.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Some where I was told that after 3 months I would be back to normal.
No sure who told you this but they obviously had no experience with knee replacement. Recovery from TKR can take up to one year or longer. Then factor in that you had both knees replaced at the same time.

Be sure and use ice to get any swelling reduced. And don't get discouraged. My colleague @Roy Gardiner had bilateral TKR and is an avid cyclist. I've tagged him to see if he has any input for you.

Thanks for the feed back. My biggest issue right now is going down stairs. It kind of bites under the knee cap with each step. Other wise I am able to do pretty much what I want. Hiking, golfing, I walk a couple miles a day. But I do get tired easily.

My PKR was just a couple of weeks before you on October 25th. I can walk about 3 miles ( with a break) or I have done an almost 2 mile country walk on uneven ground ( with a stick) but not really anything I would call a hike.
I still can't reliably go downstairs or even upstairs all day correctly. I think downstairs is last to come. It sounds as though you are doing amazingly for bilateral. How many flights do you do per day and how did you manage initially without a "good" leg?

I decided that if I was going to get TKR I would do them both at the same time to go thru the hell only once. It was a little rough getting around for the first 3-4 weeks but not having a "good" leg meant not favoring one or the other. We have been playing golf (with a cart) for the last couple weeks with no pain. Also been walking/hiking in the south of Portugal on the cliff trails. Wonderful. Tiring, Again, my only issues is going down stairs

We have been playing golf (with a cart) for the last couple weeks with no pain. Also been walking/hiking in the south of Portugal on the cliff trails. Wonderful. Tiring, Again, my only issues is going down stairs
Wow :xmark: Awesome progress at four months you brave bilateral.
Happy Four Month Anniversary! May it only get better. :)

I might have over done it lately. My left knee is pretty sore all the time and seems to be getting worse. What are the initial symptoms of an infection?

Is there any way you can send a photo of your knee to your doctor? Do you think you are overcompensating with your left vs your right knee? Are you still elevating, icing, and resting? after too much activity?

Is it hot/ swollen/ red? Is it still like that after icing/ rest?
If so can you get your GP to do some blood tests if you are worried. A raised white count or raised CRP ( C reactive protein) indicates infection.
Agree it is probably just overdoing it- but reassuring to get it checked if it is troubling you.

I went to my physiotherapist this week. See did a lot of stretching and massage which has helped a lot. I probably just pushed it too hard over the last couple weeks.

@Oliver7598 I think you are doing great so early on in your recovery. I too had BTKR and found I was doing great right out of the gate but over did it and had a significant set back that held my recovery back a few months. I am now 18 months post op and can honestly say I feel normal and am doing everything without pain. Going down stairs took a while before I was comfortable and without pain.
Just be very mindful that you are still in the recovery phase as complete recovery can take upwards of a year or more. I found I turned a corner right around the 12 month mark. Today I seldom think of my knees and just go about my day pain free.
All the best to you.

Thanks for the light at the end of the tunnel. I was flying back from Portugal last week. A woman was standing waiting for the toilet swinging her lag back and forth. I said "Knee replacement?" She said "yep" This seems to be one exercise that helps loosen them up after sitting awhile.

I probably just pushed it too hard over the last couple weeks.
Yes, it's likely you overdid it since you mentioned playing golf and walking / hiking while on vacay.
Thankfully after some stretching, hopefully gentle, and massage, you're feeling better. You're only four months into recovery and while that may feel like complete healing some days, unfortunately it's not.
Go slow now...to go fast later. :egypdance:

I was walking to a baseball game the other day, and I tripped on a piece of exposed concrete. I landed right on my right knee hard. Obviously it hurt for a few minutes but there’s no permanent damage. I guess these new knees are pretty strong.

I have fallen at least 3 times on mine and the implant is fine. The soft tissues didn't like it one bit, but otherwise, I was OK.

Had my 6 mo check up with the surgeon. Everything good to go. Range of motion about 130. So finally I can walk pain free, play golf etc. so for those with recent TKR, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back