TKR Okay, I just had a great fall!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skigirl

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
I have had a few great fallls since my tkr---

the time that I was huckleberry picking while two months out from surgery and slipped on some bear grass and fell about 100 feet---squashing all of my huckleberries all over me!!

the time that I was six weeks out and had made some food for church for a funeral. I dropped it off and tried to hurry since the funeral attendees were arriving and I was in capri pants. I tripped over the head of a sprinkler--tried to stay upright and went about 10 steps before I fell flat on my face!!

But this time, I tripped over the dog's leash, fell onto my right knee, skiinning it, then fell forward and smashed my right breast into a concrete statue that is on our porch and then fell backwards and hit my head on the step!! It was quite spectacular---I could hardly get up because i was laughing so hard. But, my breast is pretty sore, it is hard to take a deep breathe and when I tried to play golf, it was torture!!

Falls are always a little weird when you have artificial joints---once on the mountain, I heard something snap and was so happy when I realized that I had pulled a tendon in my calf--that my knee was fine.

But, I think I am more clumsy after the tkr---or maybe, I am just getting old. Actually since I have ADHD and do everything at warp speed, I do fall a lot----I just cannot seem to slow down and be careful. Happily for me, the joint is very strong and so far, seems to be A okay.

OMG!!!!! You sound so much like me--no matter how hurt I am I end up laughing so hard that I pee all over myself!! Now that I have my new knee, I keep telling myself to be more careful. So glad you are okay!!!! Slow down--you don't want to break a hip and have to join the hip forum!!!!! :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

You? Getting old? Perish the thought! I think that high velocity brain of yours is the culprit. Or the dog! :heehee:

Hope you're feeling better now. Can you take a deep breath without pain? If not, perhaps an xray to check for a cracked rib might be in order. Mind you, they don't do anything for them anyway so :shrug:

Glad you're okay and can laugh at yourself. As someone who has learned the hard way (I fell and broke my pubic bone in 3 places a couple of years ago), I try to be really mindful and to give up on multi-tasking. Take care and hope the pain you do have goes away quickly.

Dorothy

Ouch! Reminds me of the time my dog was running up behind me and caught my flip flop with his paw. Needless to say I went flying and it sent me right into my door with my head. I laughed too, lol. So another dog trying to do us in, got to love them :puppysmooze:. But didn't feel so good after and I was in my thirties. I think I would be scared to death if it happened now. I am so glad you are ok.

Ouch! Like Josephine my initial thought was cracked or bruised ribs. I've had that and it hurts. Mine took 3 months before I could breathe easily. I'd bruised the little muscles in between each rib.

Kelly, I thought Jo made it clear no falling!!

Hope you're not too sore after the very graceful fall. I always seem to find the aches the day after!

Take care,

Dawn

Jo, I did have an xray since I am in a lot of pain--a deep breath hurts. But, luckily no damage to the bones, it is all soft tissue. I am always amazed to realize how easy it is to hurt those soft tissues and how long it takes for them to fully heal.

Kelly, so sorry you fell. I know you are aware that you are my hero and that whatever you do, I want to do--uh-oh, maybe not. I don't want to fall. Kids in the hallway in Middle School are always "almost" falling into me. Crazy! I call out as they head my way, "No crashing into me! This might be my last day as a teacher if you do!" We all laugh, but actually I mean it. Teaching in Middle School is hazardous.

But I am worried about you, Kelly. How is your knee? Your rib? I am wishing you better. It will work, I have super powers. What does your summer look like? I hope you have good plans. My husband is a finalist for a new job...so we're holding off on buying our tickets to fly to California for a trip to Juniper Lake in Lassen. I hope he finds out soon. I would love a summer vacation.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly....what ever can we do with you. No matter how spectacular, falls are just not allowed....unless, of course someone gets them on video and you win the $100,000 prize on America's Funniest Home Videos. It sounds like this one would have been an excellent submission.

Seriously, though....I'm so glad you are okay AND that you agreed to get checked out. I would be worried because your body parts other than the knees hit things like concrete statues and steps. Those items are notorious for doing damage.

Just a word to the wise (which I know you are)....it will take FOREVER for those soft tissues and bones to stop hurting. I took a fall a couple of years ago and really bruised my shin bone. It was literally months before the pain got to where I didn't think about it 24/7. That waiting was the worst part of the fall. Well....that and hoping that the roofers I was watching on our house when I stumbled didn't see me. Vanity lives forever!!!

Take care, hon!!!! Chocolate....ice cream.....pampering are in order.

What, no video?
Seriously, young lady, if you start getting headaches or such-like, get thee to a hospital, pronto.
The bruised breast/ribs, ouch.
And the dog is in the doghouse?

Yikes what a fall! Glad there was no major damage

Kelly, just because I fell flat on my face in my living room on April 1 (makes me a fool, I guess), you did not have to outdo me---this really shouldn't be a competition.:heehee: So happy that there is no serious damage. I am still dealing with soft tissue aches and my jammed thumb is still very, very sensitive to any kind of pressure.

gentle (((skigirl)))

Kelly do you need that bubble wrap suit? You take care my friend! That does not sound fun at all! Hope you aren't too sore today. Go easy for a few days.

Skigirl,
I think you started something. The heel of my flip flop got caught under the sauna door at the gym today, and down I went. No damage, but a pretty awkward position was assumed as I tried to stand up with the flip flop stuck under the door.

Now Chris, you are only supposed to imitate the brilliant things that our moderators do...no falling allowed!

I hope you are okay!!

When I first had my BTKR, I was deathly afraid of falling. I slowly outgrew that fear---I have had an accident on my bike with a jogger who ran into me---I was careful to not allow my knees to hit the pavement---but we all fall, and those things do hold up amazingly well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker