BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

OK.. 3rd Time is hopefully a charm

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by tennis23, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

United States United States
    Well, Feb 17th with Dr. Jonathan Clabeuax at Virginia Mason is a go for my left THR anterior approach. He uses the Medacta AMIS approach and is very well known and has done quite a few hips for tennis players. I was originally scheduled back in Dec 23. 2015 and about a week prior to the surgery, they said I needed a cardiac anesthesiologist. Apparently, William Barrett location in South Seattle didn't have them. Fast forward to 4/4/2016 and was set for a hip w/Dr. Clabeaux and he had me get my own physical (pre surgery) from my own doctor, who by the way is also on my tennis team. For some strange reason, he did the physical exam and on the blood work requested a PSA test. It came back at a 5.0. Long story short, surgery was off and it turned out I had 3 of the 12 samples at a GLeason score 9-Highly aggressive Prostate Cancer. So, on 8/25/16 Dr. James Porter at Swedish (Who IS THE GUY) removed my prostate and as well I had a nerve sparing (left) and lymph node dissection 12 each side. Which doubles the Radical Prostitechomy time to 4.5 hours. So... I am hoping the hip surgery this time goes smoothly and not much pain. I just took Tylonol with that surgery for the prostate. My only fear is the pain, but all my friends that had theirs down with him said little to no pain. I am just glad it won't be a 9 hour surgery like my Open Heart for my aorta dissection at 40 while on the tennis court or my recent 4.5 prostate. He said the surgery should be wrapped up in under 1.5 hours. More to come on the other side w/hopefully positive outcome and someday soon being able to tie my shoes vs my tennis opponent having to do it :) God Bless brian :)

Tags:
  2. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    @tennis23. I wish you all the best and hoping you have some great recovery.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator Staff Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @tennis23 If you have been through all that surgery your THR should be a walk in the park! Yes, in most cases surgery take about 1.5 hours. Pain is easily controlled with the right meds. And you will be up and walking the halls in a matter of hours post op.

I look forward to following your recovery journey!

4. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Thanks for all the support - I appreciate it very much. I really do!

• Like Like x 2
  5. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Is there a recommended Ice Pack to use? I have like a flat 16 by 12 ice pack.. But, I am under the assumption that I want to pretty much keep Ice on my left hip for the first couple of days.... for most of the day? Any icing tips/tricks?

6. Jaycey

Ice packs are really a personal preference. Here's a thread from our Library describing the options including making your own ice packs: Ice to control pain and swelling . I bought a 6 pack of gel packs and rotated them throughout the day. Ice and elevate as much as you can. It really does help ease the swelling.

7. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Tomorrow is the big day for me... called to come in at 0745am and surgery at 0945 am or around there.
    Brian :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Graduate

Hi @tennis23 . Stopped by to wish you luck on your big day tomorrow, this is your last night of arthritic pain!

I read your initial post and believe the THR will be a breeze for you, sounds like you have a wonderful OS and it's certainly a shorter surgery. The first few days I needed the big painkillers, then after a short time at home I went on XS Tylenol, taking it on schedule as is recommended here plus ice, ice and more ice. See you on the other side :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cherdonnay

Cherdonnay Member

@tennis23 Best wishes on your big day tomorrow. Wishing you a complete recovery.

10. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Thanks... just took my last shower and waiting an hour to wipe myself with the antiseptic wipes they gave me. Had a light dinner and they said no shower in the morning, just to use wipes again. My wife and son are going with me and my parents are meeting me there in the morning too! My team at work took me out to lunch today and my tennis team (I am the captain) has their line up for Saturday nights match. So... it's just a matter now to have the surgery and wake up and see my beautiful loving family. Hopefully my daughter will come by after work, she works downtown Seattle. Thanks again for all the support. I have my ice packs coming via Amazon tomorrow and got my walker and cane plus grabber. I just have to realize my surgeon is top notch and well trained. You would think 400+ a year is a good track record :)

11. Jaycey

@tennis23 All the best today. See you back here soon!

12. sammylou99

sammylou99 Senior

Good luck today!!! I'm right behind you - going in on Monday. Hope you have a great recovery :)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

13. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Saturday morning.. I got up around 5:30am today, came down the stairs (2 flights) twenty stairs not a problem.
    My drainage where they used it to drain blood, is not quite stopped bleeding. My wife is concerned, but it's seems to me it's getting better, but she's been putting the pads over it. Using my icepacks, and just took a shower too!
    I feel I can walk around w/o the walker as I can just grab a piece of furniture if needed. But... doctor said to keep on it for a week. Any ideas as to how long the drainage bleeds? Other than that little distraction, haven't had a bowl movement since the morning of the surgery on 2/17. Friday. It's Sunday morning and have been able to pass gas, but no urge to go number 2. :) My folks are bringing us lunch today. Again, just taking Tylenol, long term (one a day) advil and 1 type of pill at bedtime to make you drowsy, but does something with nerves I believe.
    More to come..... overall condition I feel 9.5 out of 10!!!!
    Brian :)

14. Jaycey

This should ease in time. Just keep the wound clean and as dry as you can.
    Try over the counter stool softeners - not laxatives. Laxatives can make you cramp and feel sick. Warm prune juice seems to work as well.

Sounds like you are doing really well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nohipwndr

Nohipwndr Junior Member

Wow! I am so impressed and encouraged by your quick progress. Amazing! Good for you!

16. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Ok... It's Wednesday morning. I had my surgery on Friday last week, so it's been 4 days I believe :)
    I am able to walk without the walker, in fact, I only think I used it the first day home. No cane either. Been icing it off and on most of the day, don't see any swelling at all. My drainage was still having a slow leak, but that appears to have stopped as well. Pretty much just taking 1 Advil extra strength daily, Tylenol every 4 hours and at night, a pill to help sleep/nerve block? I have a prescription for a pain medication, but have not taken any of them. I would say that things are going pretty good for me. I even got on the treadmill for 2 minutes! LOL. Thanks

17. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Graduate

Wow, you are having a great recovery... happy news!

18. Jaycey

Please slow down! You have just had major surgery. You need to be resting, icing and elevating only. There will be plenty of time for treadmill later.

I'll leave your recovery articles here. Please pay attention to the healing time frame and the chart representation of recovery.
    First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor Forum Advisor

Have to agree with Jaycey - you're overdoing it. You've been given walking aids for a good reason and you are most probably causing additional strain on your new joint as well as muscles which are unaccustomed to this extra activity. There are no prizes for rushing and you're very likely going to pay the price if you don't reign back. Follow the Bonesmart mantras - they've been tried and tested over and over - for the best outcome.

20. tennis23

tennis23 Junior Member

Appreciate the comments. I am really NOT overdoing it. Trust me, I would know. The treadmill was literally 1 minute 30 seconds at a snails pace. I have just been sitting in my lazy boy chair and icing my hip off and on. I went to the grocery store and walked with the cart while my wife shopped. Then came back home and have just been resting and icing. Brian :)