THR Oh no! What did I do?

Almost6wksout

Country
United States United States
Um, I have a question... This past Tuesday(Monday was my 5 week after surgery mark)..anyhow... I jammed my left foot(new hip) and I'm able to walk, sit, stand but there is a bit of slight pain in my groin area. How much damage is possible to my hip this far along?

@Almost6wksout Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you give me the exact date of your surgery? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Can you give me a bit more details? I am not sure what you mean by "I jammed my foot". I doubt very seriously that you did any damage. These implants are very strong. You may have jarred the area where soft tissues are still healing. Groin pain at this stage is very normal.

I'll leave your recovery guideline here for you to reference.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

August 31st was my surgery.
Thank you for replying. Lol! I guess what I mean by jamming my foot is somewhat like stubbing a toe... I was walking forward with my cane and I had sandals on--there was a large piece of cardboard that I obviously thought I wasn't any where near..the cardboard got caught between my foot & my shoe and while going forward it then jammed into the wall ..which caused immediate distress to my hip.

Hello :wave: Welcome to BoneSmart, thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip!
I am also guessing you didn’t do any damage with the miss-step aside from irritating some healing tissue. Since you described It as “a bit of slight pain” and it’s not escalating in intensity affecting your mobility, I’d recommend you ice the area of discomfort several times per day, for no less than 45-60 minutes and take OTC meds as needed. If it gets worse, check in with your surgeons office for reassurance. Hope it eases soon!

Stop back often, we’d love to follow your progress if you’re willing to share through updates. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Almost6wksout

Thank you both for the warm welcome and thoughts and responses on my question. I wanted to join prior to my surgery..but I thought I was a big girl & I could do this on my own..stubborn yet shy I am. I'm sorry I didn't now...such a wealth of information!!
I am getting right on that ice pack and already had an appt on Tuesday to see my surgeon... I didn't want to call him if I was just letting my nerves get to me (which I tend to do). You go through all of this..get this far and then something stupid happens (caus I'm such a klutz at times)...my gut said "you're ok"...but my nerves were getting the best of me. Oy, I hate that. So, thank you! Thank you! Reading all this info that you guys have on here has realllly put me in a better (and calmer) frame of mind. I was frustrated because I didn't feel like I was getting far at 5wks (prior to the klutz act) and now I see I need to dig around in my purse for that dose of patience I put off to the side for emergencies... For sure I'm needing it!!! Y'all have a good weekend too!

I was frustrated because I didn't feel like I was getting far at 5wks (prior to the klutz act) and now I see I need to dig around in my purse for that dose of patience I put off to the side for emergencies... For sure I'm needing it!!! Y'all have a good weekend too!

Smart lady! We could all use an emergency dose of patience on hand. :flwrysmile:

Hey, there! I suspect that the sudden jar was alarming and scary but probably didn’t do any damage. I was a passenger in a car today and some jerk head pulled out right in front of us causing us to slam on the brakes. Talk about “OY!”. Lucky the windows were closed because he would not have appreciated my commentary. Man, did that ever hurt! So, another evening of sitting non the ice.

Not trying to be a jerk but I don't think sandals are the best choice of footwear post op. My OS had good program and outlined about everything and footwear was on the list. Slip on sneakers were the best for me, both Skecher type and my regular sneakers with elastic laces. Any misstep or slip can be tough on soft tissue because of normal tense reaction. There have been some on here that have taken a fall early on with bad outcomes. The last words from my OS after every visit was don't fall.

Woodstockhip...oh my goodness! Yes! Very alarming & scary!! I got so mad because I've worked so hard to be careful..then I busted out in some serious tears... But I can't even begin to imagine experiencing being in a car and brakes being slammed on because of some idiot... Oy...oy
Eman85: I didn't think you were a jerk for commenting about my sandals... My foot & ankle were swelling quite a bit in the beginning. Sandals were the only footwear that fit. I envy you.. There was no plan of attack given to me post-op...not from my OS nor from PT.. I was/still am winging it. Sans the sandals though, . Live & learn. Its been such an emotionally draining "ride"...not that I'm regretting the surgery!! Good grief no!! Just that there was no info to go on & you never know what is right/wrong in certain situations. I have my right hip still to go yet and I'm looking forward to getting it done eventually. (With better knowledge of do's & don'ts). Thank you both for commenting.. I don't feel so alone in this then.

No going it alone, plenty of good info on this site. We've all been there and done that in one form or another. I know I was very fortunate in finding my OS and his program. His office is very tightly run and laid just about every aspect out ahead of time including hip class and a handbook. I know Covid has changed some of the things.

Ok.. I'm confused.
I've been reading other posts on here and I know everybody heals at different rates. Yet, it seems as though I am regressing. Even prior to my foot jamming incident on Tuesday...it's been uncomfortable to use just my cane. Also, all week long I've been getting chills (never had them right after surgery and its mostly in the evening...my teeth are chattering kind of chills). Yesterday was an awful ugly emotional day... I didn't want to deal with anything anymore...
I dragged my walker back out & that helped...And yes-- I've been icing my groin re: foot jam it has helped some.
(I'm sorry this is lengthy..but I'm trying to be precise in my post--maybe someone else can see what I apparently am missing.)
Tomorrow makes my 6 week post surgery & I'm so disappointed because I thought I would be a little further along. I see my OS on Tuesday-but I really can't say anything to him..the first time I tried to discuss something he very sternly said "I can't replace your right hip right now!" (Wasn't asking him too... I was only into my 2nd week w/left hip). Then the next time I wanted to question an issue he said "you want me to put your old hip back in?" ( sorry.. I found that amusing..caus like yeah right...how's that gonna happen?)
So, yeah that's where I'm at... I know I will heal at my own pace & not to rush it.. .. I didn't think a 6week goal of some improvement was a lot to ask.

Hi @Almost6wksout
So sorry you are feeling so disappointed and down.
I know you mention you have another hip that needs replacing... Do you think this is affecting your recovery for this one and the uncomfortableness with using the cane?
I realize it seems like a step back but I think you are wise to use the walker to improve.
I had bilateral replacements and the walker was much better on two sore hips and to keep weight balanced out
Also, all week long I've been getting chills (never had them right after surgery and its mostly in the evening...my teeth are chattering kind of chills)
You aren't running any fever I suppose? You should make sure and check it.
If not, staying on ice and the weather chilling down along with your case of the blues...might be the cause?
I was a tad anemic after my surgeries so it seemed to make me cold even though it was summer. I upped my intake of iron rich foods and Vitamin C juices as this helps with absorption.
Prime time for the post op blues, so you might want to look back at that article in your recovery guidelines. It is real.:sad:
I see my OS on Tuesday-but I really can't say anything to him..the first time I tried to discuss something he very sternly said "I can't replace your right hip right now!" (Wasn't asking him too... I was only into my 2nd week w/left hip). Then the next time I wanted to question an issue he said "you want me to put your old hip back in?" ( sorry.. I found that amusing..caus like yeah right...how's that gonna happen?)
What a sweetheart, geez!:nah:

Maybe he was having a bad day...

Please bring someone with you if they allow to help you advocate for answers to some concerns you have.
You really are not behind the curve as this surgery was a big deal and even small missteps can cause setbacks to sensitive healing tissue.
Are you doing any other exercises in addition to the walking?

I hope today is a better day and I'm sending healing mojo your way.:console2:

Last edited:
Hello and a Happy Sunday to you :)
Also, all week long I've been getting chills (never had them right after surgery and its mostly in the evening...my teeth are chattering kind of chills).
Just a thought - look at your meds, if you’re still on any. A quick online search shows that both Acetaminophen and Oxy can cause chills as well as Naproxen (Aleve).

Your surgeon sounds dismissive which is frustrating I’m sure. If its not a habit of yours, prepare a written list of questions ahead of time and bring another set of ears to the appointment if you’re able. It’s easy to miss some info you’re receiving if you’re feeling rushed and thinking about your next question. I’d even consider recording the visit, telling your surgeon that you’re doing so in an effort to recall all he’s shared during your time together. I’m guessing he’d want to be on his best behavior knowing you were recording him, lol. At least I’d hope so.

Sorry about the post op blues, most all of us experienced this and while it’s cold comfort to hear in the midst of it all, it is only temporary. Stop by often we’ll do our best to encourage and lift your spirits. Here’s a little humor for you in the form of a squiggly child like drawing. You‘re probably tangled up somewhere in the middle, but brighter days are on their way! Think on that :SUNsmile:

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Best Wishes for your appointment on Tuesday. I hope your surgeon is on his best behavior and you leave the visit feeling reassured.

Unfortunately recovery is rarely a straight road. It has some ups and downs but we do get through it. It is a major surgery and our hips and our bodies all react differently and decide how fast we will progress.
As MoJo333 suggested with another hip needing replacing it could make this recovery slower. I had another bad knee that needing replacing when I had my first knee replacement. The first recovery was harder than the second due to that painful knee and me not trusting it.

Keep exercising that patience muscle and be kind to yourself. I hope your day is peaceful.

Also, all week long I've been getting chills (never had them right after surgery and its mostly in the evening...my teeth are chattering kind of chills)
Just wondering if you are trying to wean off your pain medications too soon, I had the same response. As soon as I went back on schedule as prescribed these symptoms went away.
Then as the pain went down I forgot to take my pain meds and weaned off slowly.

Wow! Lol.. You guys had me going straight back to the day of my surgery and reassessing things that happened along the way. What an eye opener!! 15 days after surgery my OS said "I'd like you to consider getting off the Oxycodone." (Ha! I'm not medically inclined & apparently dumber than a box of rocks.) Those first 2 weeks post surgery were awesome... I felt like I could conquer the world(at the least- Mount Everest) sooo.. I took him @ his word. Last one I took was @ 6am that morning..my appt was at 9am.. I stopped cold turkey. Which actually, was fine, until I went to PT again 2 days later. I was still taking Tylenol every 6 hours, but--pfft! It seemed a waste.

I wasn't in horrific pain after my PT sessions (but it was there and I see now in hindsight that's where I started to decline...)the pain was annoying. The exercises made my bad hip act up . And honestly, it's been frustrating ever since.. I stopped PT because my only ride for the week bailed on me (which was a blessing in disguise). My bad hip stopped acting up so severely.. I still do some exercises - ankle pumps/good leg heel slides/stretching calf muscles...and strictly using the cane around the house (up until jamming my good hip)..10-15 min of walking with the walker outside on a really nice smooth patch of concrete I have claimed for my own. Lol

Jamming my good hip/foot has put me on edge. The initial fear that I wrecked something...but my bigger fear is having to tell my OS.. I have had someone else in the room each and every week.. It doesn't stop him from saying anything "snarky". To be fair- every time I leave his office, he always says I'm doing great/walking great(w/walker) and my wound is healing nicely. Its hard to describe his demeanor/bedside manner..but he is the absolute best Hip Replacement surgeon in my area & I won't look for anyone else.

Ok... I've rambled on more than I should have. Thank you for helping me (especially the squiggle humor!! Best ever!! I loved it, because I get it now). You guys are so awesome!! So helpful!

Hello @Almost6wksout

More than a few people have listened to their bodies and stopped physical therapy or got a different therapist because they were being pushed too hard.

Sounds like you may have some transportation issues but, if there is any way you can get to a pool and walk, I believe that is one of the best therapies around. I found out about pool PT and I did that for both hips and what a difference! The water provides support so you're much more mobile on land. I just walked and did my PT exercises in the pool and it helped both mentally and physically.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads