BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Oh help, stuck in denial, and whats with this knee locking?!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Luluk, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Luluk

Luluk new member

United States United States
    Still have pain with 3yr old TKR while other knee now shows bone on bone and advanced degenerative changes and osteophytes and sclerosis. The surgeon said knee is a candidate tor TKR anytime, but of course as they always say, its up to you.

I was happily thinking I could put it off til December and enjoy a fun, active summer. Well ha ha on me. Walking downstairs is very painful. The prospect of biking or hiking is scary.

And that knee locking! Every day it locks up on me and the pain is excruciating! I'm sure my sounds of agony alarm my young students! On the one hand, I need someone to push me over the edge, on the other hand, losing the summer and all my dreams for it is an unbearable thought.

2. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh yes, yes, yes. I have been there and thought I could wait til after a planned holiday to set the process in place. I'm tough. I can do it! Trouble with for me was I didn't know how quickly things can turn to custard. I was coping with pain and disability right?
    So I was on holiday in Buenos Aires. Just leaving the hotel to fly to Cuiaba in Brazil (to see jaguars) when my knee buckled and a big effusion appeared. That was the last day I could walk any distance. Pain and swelling stalked me until my TKR. I fell alot and was on the verge of being immobile.

So I think its a lottery. Hopefully if you decide to wait it will be fine. At 3 weeks post op I have much less pain than pre surgery so I would take the surgery. Recovery time is a gift especially in the summer. Each day you will improve and slowly expand your horizons. I would pick surgery over pain, disability and misery. Dream wonderful sweet dreams of summer with less suffering and no agony because that's what close for yoy xxx

3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It should be OK by now, what are the symptoms? What action are you taking?
    And all summer you'll be in pain, and every day you'll be no closer to recovery. You know you'll only be really down for about 6 weeks, then you'll be able to enjoy yourself in lessening pain.

Come on - you know it makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Doesn't sound to me as if you will have any kind of "fun" summer with that bad knee. No one likes to face major surgery but putting it off will only lengthen and complicate the recovery. Get this done and get on with living again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

That's right - it isn't their job to make these decisions for you!
    Let me tell you about this pain

Prior to my surgery I had barely any ongoing pain, just what I refer to as an occasional 'stone in the shoe' pain which came and went erratically. Sometimes it lasted for an hour, sometimes for a week, once it lasted two weeks, but I knew what caused it so let me share that with you.

Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step as you can see here

ai64.tinypic.com_wb2fr6.jpg

It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a craggy, rough edged bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this excruciatingly horrible pain that all of a sudden goes away!

[​IMG]

It's every bit as disabling as the constant bone-on-bone pain so many others suffer and is a very good indicator that a joint replacement is needed.

You don't want to have more of these crippling episodes, do you? And you will, and they will get worse and worse!

To assess your need for replacement, print off the form in this link, read the instructions and fill it in Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

• Like Like x 2
  6. Luluk

Luluk new member

Thank you everybody for your support, encouragement and frankness. Today i did an experiment of pretending i had normal knees. I tried to walk with a normal gait and pace up and down hills. Everystep is painful and i cant walk normal pace or normal gait. And that exrucating pain of he crumbling concrete - yikes.talk sbout disrupting a kids piano lesson.
    So i got on the surgeons schedule for july 15.

I still have fair amount of pain in the other knee replacement, 3 years out. The surgeon has no idea whats wrong.he says the x rays look good, he doesnt understand why i have so much pain.

Wondering if knee injections would be a good option to try, to help me make it to july. I have not seen good comments about the off loader knee brace.

7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Surgeons usually like a three-month gap between the injections and your surgery date, so if you decide to have an injection, make sure that you have it fairly soon.

8. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 senior

@Luluk The locking/catching is what finally pushed me over the edge. I've had it happen on stairs twice, to where I was just about stuck. I was coming UP though and had to scoot on my bottom to get to the top---and my husband as out of town for the week when it last happened. :hissy: I had surgery 3 wks later to clean things up enough to lessen the chances of it happening again immediately, as the quadriceps starting shutting down too due to the swelling. Both TKRs are now on the calendar though.

9. Irish471

Irish471 senior

Hi @Luluk , you made me smile. I used to play that little game, too, pretending that my knee was normal . I had lots of good days, so I wasn't 100% sure it was time yet. I decided I would do all the things I wanted to do and I got stopped in my tracks pretty fast and would pay for it for days after. Truth be tokd, my good days were good because I wasn't being active. But that's not living my best life possible. It actually really helped me to make the decision to do the surgery. You're making the right choice :)
    In the meantime, I would try to get to the bottom of why your other knee still gives you trouble. Maybe a second opinion is needed. You will need to depend on that knee for your recovery. Keep us posted!

10. Luluk

Luluk new member

That is funny,another member who likes to play the game of pretending to be normal! In an effort to try to survive til scheduled tkr date in july, i had a a corticosteroid injection last week. It feels so much better! Its really easy to pretend im normal, except when i walk too much or go downhill, or try to put on shoes and socks. If my knee goes slightly sideways it locks up. How many times can a person goes through this? the knee locks up, and you have to force it to unlock, and the knees go snap. Before those bones cant take it anymore and just break?

Anyway, i got a visit scheduled with the knee surgeon to comtinue to complain anout the bewildering perplexing pain in the three year old right tkr.
    Wondering if any members who have one or more total knee replacements, and or total shoulders, also have had a complete spinal fusion .?? Im wondering if because of a total spinal fusion my knee joints have taken a whole lot more abuse that they werent suppose to....

11. Irish471

Irish471 senior

That’s great that you got that steroid shot! Hope it helps with the pain while you wait :)