Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Hoping you procedure brings you instant relief of the dreaded pain! You deserve a break from pain. Sending you healing vibes from across the pond.

Thanks Elf1,Layla,Barbarj,Mojo333,linette333--your words and concerns are so appreciated. You can't imagine how relieved I am already feeling knowing I have a date. My hands are smarting,burning, numb and I have electrical impulses shooting on occasion just lovely.The surgeon said the added pressure of the walker just sent this skyrocketing. He believes there is much nerve pressure and damage--oh well c'est la vie as we say here.I don't think my PT will be too thrilled that I will not be attending my session--oh well.I had all these plans with walking around the park-getting up early (not hard as I hardly sleep) and building stamina kinda like I did with marathoning--oh well later I guess.
@Barbarj apparently women get this 3x as often as men because the tunnel is smaller and therefore not much room if there is inflammation. I believe I got it as a result of all the carrying and maneuvering my books and subsequently closing the store. Moved 30,000 books for fairs etc. with little help--me and hubs and 2 other people.That is when this started but I just brushed it off at the onset as it was occasional and I could just shake my hands and all was ok. That was 26 years ago but afterwards I did heavy duty stuff with my husband--construction etc.so doubt another contributing factor and then the cherry the hips and hanging on to the walker continuously.

Oh, @mikeycat it does sounds like you've really given your hands and wrists a workout through the years with all those activities, so I guess it's not totally surprising (although completely unwelcome) that you've developed problems as you've described. I really do think, when I read about how your hips are doing, that you've had a good recovery there. The fact that you had that dreaded bilateral replacement, as you've come as far as you have, is remarkable. Now, just get the rest of you taken care of and then you can really go back to building stamina, strength and flexibility. If you've trained for and done marathons before (simply CANNOT imagine ever doing that) I am betting you will be able to get back to a better place eventually. Have faith in yourself, you've been through a lot and you are still standing! Things may take one heck of a lot longer than you'd like (nobody, I suspect, feels that hip replacement recovery goes fast!) but you ARE going to get there. Hurray for you!

Thank you so much Barbarj for those encouraging words . I was beginning to feel sorry for myself but I know it is just life and moving in directions down a path with a few detours not to worry or fret just keep moving.I feel sorry for hubby though . He also feels that nothing can happen to him while I am this way but he too realizes all is temporary.

Hi @mikeycat
That's great that your surgery has been scheduled for next week. Like me you'll probably wish you'd had it done years ago. I've had open carpel tunnel release surgery on both hands and the results have been absolutely wonderful. Good luck!

Thank you. I may have residual numbness in fingertips as it has been over 20 years but the hip thing sealed my fate. Doc says nerve damage but there will be no pain and hands will be able to straighten out and I will have more fine motor ability. I'll take it. It is the minimally invasive technique that takes 5 minutes under local and he will be giving me a bigger dose due to my inability it seems to absorb the drugs or whatever is my problem.Thing is I can use my hand right away and 6 days later totally fine.Will let you know about the results. Today I am cancelling PT at rehab as I can't feel my hands.

My OS doesn't do the endoscopic surgery but it does sound good. I still have a little residual numbness in the fingertips of my right hand but it no longer stops me from doing anything, it is much better than pre-surgery. I'd had problems for over 20 years too and had a large bag full of assorted splints and braces! Such a relief. :)

Oh glad to hear you had relief--glad in more ways than one. I used the braces at the beginning but then ditched them.I was ok for the most part. I am a person who copes. Now if I put them on the situation is way worse. It makes me cry.I have had all kinds of bone issues.Apparently carpal tunnel is in the arthritis category. There is a disease of the bone named after us probably a genetic thing.
I just had the PT call me and he isn't ditching me. Ordinarily after 3 cancels you're out but not me. I know I am a pilot project and I feel definitely watched by my OS albeit hidden.It is too suspicious. But they are definitely connected.PT says I have to continue with exercises on my own and when I return in a month WE have to work on my gait. I do not feel terribly inclined right now with my hands the way they are.I am writing with my left as it is less problematic. I had such high hopes with the hip progression-- walking in the park (they have exercise stations) increasing the distance,working on the gait, going to the Y. All on hold now. Well at least no more bites. But I have to pick up antibiotics for my teeth as I have a scheduled apt.with the dentist a day before the hand surgery--really nice everything all at once so no coming up for air--oh well.

I think you have to continue to be patient, @mikeycat, and realize that you will, all in good time, get your various issues addressed but more sequentially perhaps than all at once. With your hands being so painful I am sure it makes it hard to focus on other aspects of your recovery. Even though I am sure getting back into PT at some point and dealing with your gait, and strengthening/increasing flexibility, is important, I think putting that on hold until you can deal with the insistent and debilitating hand pain makes sense. Giving yourself a pass now doesn't mean you've given up, you are just somewhat postponing working on hip recovery in the fullest sense. But keep walking as you're able--that's critical, but don't worry that you're not doing it all. You are doing great--get that chin up! And have a great day.

Thank you Barbarj. I guess because I can't really go out for a walk- I like to bring my cane for security- the hands they scream. I almost felt jealous of my hubby as he is having a BBQ at work but he needs so much more time out I am ashamed of myself. I told him to go to the country or wherever he wants to have a reprieve but he won't. I am marooned in here have been for the past 10 days. It is sunny so I will have that great day. You have one too. Are you doing ok?

Well next Thursday at 3 pm that's my date and time for surgery. My hands are simply murder today but hips improving. I went for a walk for 3 blocks without any assisting devices and I did fine. I went to get the newspaper. Doing anything with my hands elicits so much pain. We are going to the country and just the movement of the car as it goes over bumps and potholes of which there are many brings me to tears but what the heck I want to go.
I better not have dental pain the day before the hand surgery as I will be over the moon.
Everyone have a wonderful, pain-free, restful week-end.

Well, take comfort in what IS working, @mikeycat and it sounds like every day those hips are getting stronger. And with a date set up for your hands, relief is in sight for that more troubling problem--and I hope the dental stuff goes well and you don't have any residual pain from that leading into your hand surgery. But, I think you said that the hand doctor was going to give you a stronger dose of anesthetic for the procedure so I hope teeth and hand won't be screaming at the same time. So, are you leaving for the country today? Sounds like it will be an uncomfortable trip for your poor hands, but I hope when you get there the peaceful atmosphere and quiet will be soothing, and you won't have to do much but relax and recharge. Cheers, and you have a good weekend as well.

Well, you know we're here for you @mikeycat
I'll bet next Thursday can't come quickly enough. You're BTHR Recovery is going so well and once you have the carpal tunnel procedure in the rear view there should be no stopping you! Hang tight, the pain will soon be history. I hope your weekend in the country helps serve as a healthy distraction as you await next week.
Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!

I am awaiting my husband now to go to the country. Today has been fraught with calls-the nurse who took a detailed account of my history along with a written one and asked about concerns. She sent me a lengthy tome to read and sign. Then she suggested I cancel the dentist apt. as it will be too much for the ole bod here. So I had to cancel that apt. and they called back with another and they had called in the antibiotics prescription to the pharmacy. So dentist apt. is in September. Than lo and behold another apt. with a hand surgeon on Monday this one is gov. and public but does traditional surgery. I kept it because my hubby will have an apt.too and he needs his trigger finger dealt with. It is always feast or famine here. They hate when you go private and expedite things. Don't know how they knew though.If they did this minimalist surgery I would definitely go with public as it wouldn't cost anything.How strange they called me though when I had sent in my hubby's referral. I guess mine was sent in by the doc I saw re bites. Boy are they on my tail.Other people say they take ages to call back. With me they won't leave me alone-- go figure.All this precipitated by my hip surgery.i really wanted to be left in my corner--with hands ok and hips doing ok but no go.I am starting to get anxious though--here we go again--no peace for the wicked.

@mikeycat Wow, what a schedule. You need the country this weekend. Enjoy yourself....

@mikeycat you sure do need this weekend visit to the country. You just need to get away from it all. At least it sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Just stay away from the insects this weekend!

@Cecropia and Elf1 . I had a good time in the country watching the blue jays, and chickadees and chipmunks scurry and fight over all the stuff we left out. My hands hurt like the dickens though. Went to apt. this am with public system. They dealt with hubby's trigger finger in a matter of 5 minutes. He got a cortisone shot. I was going to keep my mouth shut re private but doc wanted to give me 2 cortisones shots -1 in each carpal tunnel. I asked re surgery and she said she would try this first. Then I had to ask if I had surgery how long to wait post shots . She said a month so I had to tell her re private scheduled on Thursday. She asked if I was doing both and I said yes but within a certain time span. She offered immediate relief. I took a partial shot in the left carpal tunnel because I couldn't stand the pain so she was unable to proceed and also other thoughts were swimming in my brain. She said it looks like I can't stand needles. I said no it is the pain. I have had countless needles in my life and I don't even twinge. She said it is extremely sensitive in the hand. How by gawd will I endure the local anesthetic presumably in the hand on Thursday.Since the bilateral hip surgery I am paranoid and I seem I cannot endure things I did before and cannot stand anymore pain. Well now I know there wont be any surprises and I am bracing for a lot of pain the physical as well as the financial sort.

@mikeycatGlad you enjoyed the country and no bug bites. Sorry to hear your wrists hurts so bad. I will be praying for your recovery after Thursdays surgery. I think you will find the inner strength and courage to do it, especially knowing it will help your wrists get better.
It's always something, hopefully after this it will be better days.
I made an appointment with my OS next Monday. Everything has healed so well except my buttock pain after sitting or on awakening in the morning. I have no other complaints, and I want an xray of my implant even tho the nurse said if something was wrong it would hurt in my thigh not my butt. I need reassurance then I can better deal with this recovery and relax. I've been told by other people in ortho that all is okay, but I want to hear it from my OS. At least your hips are doing wonderful, now we need to cheer you on to get your carpal tunnel fixed.

Dont you just hate it when people dismiss your ailments. It's your body and you know best.I don't know how many times I was 'right' and they said I guess you were right. I am hoping your ailment is resolved and you are right to persist--be your own champion and advocate.
I don't know how I am going to get to the surgery as I could not even continue with the cortisone shot yesterday-it was that painful and today still sore.
I have had countless root canals and teeth surgeries, endometriosis, a natural delivery, countless needles and I gave blood countless times and now it seems due to chronic pain rather than acute (which whittles down your tolerance and reserves) and little sleep I can no longer endure stuff. Also when they inject as oppose to withdraw it is real agony. I have left twice now saying I can't take it.Boy am I glad I pushed for general for the hip replacements.

I'm really sorry you continue to deal with pain. I don't think anyone actually likes getting poked with needles, or doesn't endure momentary anxiety as they're anticipating a needle jab into their flesh. However, through your description this sounds excruciating. I'm sorry you have to experience this but hopefully through these appts and procedures you find permanent relief soon so you can finally move forward pain free. Best wishes for your Thursday appointment. Please let us know how it goes.
A great Tuesday to you! :wave:
@mikeycat

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom