Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

@mikeycat
Well you did have fun this weekend too. Hope the bug bites heal quickly. Love all the types of food you have in your neighborhood. I might not ever cook again if I lived there. :heehee: And you are going back for 4 days? Dont forget the bug spray....I hated using it too, but I've managed to stay out of their way so far this summer... I dont go for walks outside, mosquitos are bad here. I usually ride my bike in summer when mosquitos are out, they can't keep up with me, but that's not happening this summer, I'm not close to riding a bike yet. :bicycle2:

I'm thinking of a net--really. Since the spider bite it has been awful as I get blisters etc. I read somewhere that type O blood attracts biters too--well...Fla. was the worst as I had fire ant bites and blisters and swelling and redness and my leg looked a mess.But black flies here in the north are murderous usually in May and June.
I haven't ridden a bike in awhile because of the arthritis.We have bixi bikes on every 2nd street-- public bike system plus all kinds of bike lanes but getting around in construction city is quite a challenge. Almost 6:30 here and no water--great and hot.

@mikeycat Really? Type O blood attracts insects?! Well, that's me and the mean little critters love me! I have a right forearm covered in a number of miserably itchy bites from some cantankerously aroused bug. Hope otherwise things are chugging along. One day at a time, but you are moving forward.

Hi @mikeycat
Those bites sound miserable...like they were feasting on you. I hope you've found some relief from the itching. Want to wish you luck with your OS visit today. Hopefully you get a good report and all of your questions answered. Will look forward to an update...if you feel like sharing.
Have a good one!!

So I had my apt. I must have walked a least a mile because this is a huge hospital with many wings several floors of parking and it is a maze. Good thing I was with hubby. All restrictions lifted and doc says I can do anything anything I want to do. Says I should be walking freely sans cane shortly. I saw x-rays and beautiful and equal.Gave me a letter for travelling and contact should I need any help.Tomorrow rehab and I am going out with my walking canes to the major street here about 200 yds . from my house and the hair salon just across the street. So it is forward and I am not looking back.This place has been amazing and the people so supportive and wonderful and I shall be eternally grateful. I have recommended it to people and my own doc.

Thank you. And removing all vestiges of these hip things along with riser in bathroom and all paraphernalia grabbers etc.seat in shower--only used once anyway and it takes up space-a new chapter. Going out for a walk and to the bank. Will use those brand new walking sticks and doc says I should be walking freely soon--I sure hope so.

I agree, that’s going to feel great! It’s a major take back your life step.

When this is all over for me in a few months, I’m getting rid of everything but the grabbers and of course my Leki walking sticks which I’ve had for years.

@mikeycat
Awesome doctor appointment! You are on top of the world now. But be careful sitting on your toilet after you take off the riser. I took mine off too, long way down after having the riser.
I felt like I sat in a hole or something. lol. Enjoy your salon visit. I did my egg yolk, honey, olive oil treatment this morning, my hair feels so much better. I need to get back to doing it once a week. I use the egg whites in an omelet. I don't normally eat the yolks ever except in tater salad. So I found something to do with them so they are not wasted and it makes my hair healthier.

@CecropiaI need the yolks for iron ,folate and vitamins and protein and lutein as I don't generally have lunch except for yogurt and fruit and breakfast for me is the meal.
In the country I don't have a riser but some toilets are higher than others. My hubby said he could install a higher one but the exercise is good for the quads and I am getting up just using the quads and I want more practice.Also if I must use a public bathroom something I am loathe to do anytime even previously I must practice.I know it will be a challenge but I will try with our bathroom in the basement which doesn't have a riser.I have just gotten rid of my walker, grabbers (will keep one since I am getting older not younger alas) and rolled foam (used in the bed to separate legs)also bed rail--did that a couple of days ago.I want nothing to remind me--also I am about how I was prior to surgery and moving upward. I had no pain either prior to surgery except after long treks then I would sit and all would go away--years and years of adaptation.Told OS I wanted to go to the Y for aquarobics in the near future much less stress on the body.He said do whatever you want.

I am using apple cider vinegar and it is helping with the hair loss as shampoo blocks pores and my hair is curlier than I have ever seen it.It also looks thicker.I can't have the pores blocked a problem creating the hair loss among others. That sounds like a good recipe and must make your hair feel great.
I am looking forward to PT at rehab tomorrow. I did not go on Monday.But a challenge for cabs to get here .I cannot go down into any abyss now though I will definitely have relapses I am seeking things to deal with this. I want to take courses at the university just 8 minutes from here--audit courses--so cheap for seniors--guess that is me. And my reading list gets longer.When my own PT returns from holidays I will have her work on the carpel tunnel problem which may also abate when I cease using walking devices-- particularly the cane.
@ceezee Coming up very soon for you. How do you feel now? It was just 2 weeks before me.

@mikeycat
Thank you for asking. I’m mainly trying to give my unoperated hip the least amount of stress as possible while st the same time continuing to build up strength in my operated hip. Quite the balancing act.

I don’t know how you had the nerve to do both at once (and my OS doesn’t do them anyway) but I am so glad I was able to schedule this one at the closest time after the first one. I go to my final pre op visit with the OS the day before the surgery and I hope nothing comes up. I think he just wants to be sure I’m fully capable for the second. I know he’d prefer 12 weeks instead of 10.

The university audit courses sounds wonderful. I should check into that...I’m more than 8 minutes away, more like a train ride into town. But doable.

Take it easy and try not to overdo it! Easy to say but not so easy to do.

I envy you living in Montréal.... my favorite North American city.

@ceezee How nice of you to say.Fun maneuvering around,huh?I had no choice with the bilateral thing. I am glad I did though. I saw the results on the x-rays and it was magnificent and equal.The doc said bilateral. He does many has done the most in Canada.I am walking without devices today in the house and just outside in the garden practicing that back extension of the leg and toe straight, pelvic hip thing. It seems to be working. I am loosening up. I am-- yippee-- sleeping on both sides . I tried it today to rest what an oxymoron with that thunderous noise outside my door and it was glorious--the resting on my side not the noise. The taxi wont be able to get here so I will have to meet him at the corner if I can get there since the construction workers are setting up lounge chairs on the sidewalk essentially blocking passage having their lunch can u believe--restaurants feet away and they make a truckload of money here in Québec? It's like a picnic and no one can pass.I am writing a letter to our mayor.
I don't know how you do it either. 1 surgery so close to the other. I was out to lunch for 2 weeks like I was in the valley of the damned.

Happy Wednesday!
You've really come a long way in the 7 weeks since your surgery. You're doing great! @mikeycat
And the thought of it continually improving must feel so promising. Keep up the great work and enjoy the rest of the day! :SUNsmile:

Every day forward puts a smile on your face, doesn't it :yes: @mikeycat ! Zip a dee do da zip a dee, my oh my what a wonderful day!!!:egypdance:

That’s good news from your OS appt @mikeycat! Sounds like you have really turned the corner. I have my appt with OS next week. It’s been a long road, but must say this week I feel so much better. I think I’ve learnt not to stress about every little pain and ache, and just take it as part of healing journey.
It must feel so good to get rid of all your “aids”, very liberating!!

I am so glad fellow bilateral hippie that you are feeling better. It makes all the difference on that lonely road.As said I felt I was in hades the first 2 weeks and wondered what the heck I did.Yup but I still walk with the cane but inside practising not to do what PT says I do when walking. Says leg is straight behind and pushes forward than knee bends mine does so from the back which makes my hips swish like a washing machine and causing harm to my back.He says some people walk like this but usually both hips are doing this with the same intensity but only one of mine is doing it so forces my back one side of it to work harder and causes pain. This PT is just the best. Says I should slow down do at my pace but I am doing frog legs and both my legs are falling to the sides and I am surprised at how far they go and how easy now with all restrictions lifted.But what a challenge to get there--sheesh.

Wow, @mikeycat, I can’t even imagine how challenging it must be for bilateral hippies. We Singletons usually find the start of recovery difficult but double or triple that for you brave souls! Glad PT is helping with your gait. When you have a good PT, it can make all the difference. I have to wait at least 6 weeks but I will definitely as for for a PT referral from my OS, you are over a month out now, so we’ll along on the recovery journey—hurray for you!

@HipsterKat The walking sticks are 'activator professional'. I ordered them online--a real chance-because of getting here due to construction--from a seniors store that has every orthopedic device imaginable recliners too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks