Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

@mikeycat , you are doing tons of chores. I hope you take a break in between them and get those legs up and iced :ice: . One chore per day or one small chore every so often might help. Overall, it sounds like you are doing great which is nice to read:wow:.

I get you.My problem now is carpel tunnel -so painful. If I do too much which I have today my right hand is killing me and the pain is shooting up my arm. Just napped and took ibuprofen for that pain.I should follow you. Now that I have those poles I will evenly distribute the weight so my right hand won't take it all.I just damp mopped everything. Hubby does vacuuming 2x a week. He used to work with his mom on their rooming house.I can,t seem to stay still now that I am so mobile.

I love to read and yet when recovering I had no concentration. With the knees especially my brain was mush and I ended up watching/sleeping through tv shows that were mindless since again could not handle anything serious. Luckily after a while I could read again. It is so tempting after all the pre op pain and unable to do things to get carried away because it feels so good to be able to move - totally understand.

Oh, yeah, I am not looking forward to that energy drain and loss of focus/concentration starting next week! I don't think I was prepared for that. Like you, @mikeycat I, too, am an avid reader and it's been so hard the last few months as sitting really hurts over about 10 - 15 minutes in formerly comfy chair. After my first surgery I swear I watched more daytime TV than I had in forever--old movies, HGTV, cooking channel, etc. I simply couldn't focus my mind on the written page in what seems like weeks. And like you, @leejaa, I used TV as a sleeping aide, drifting off in the middle of one of these mindless shows. Fortunately, once the brain fog cleared I was able to return to reading and while I can still focus on a book, I have such a hard time sitting that reading isn't as satisfying as it once was. Next year: War and Peace!

Well I don't know what my excuse is. I am ok but I have 2000 books here. t. I was able to do crosswords for a bit while sitting in my recliner but you are right the tv was a sleeping pill and I remembered nothing that had been on. Maybe it was the general anesthesia probably destroyed a ton of brain cells like I needed that but some other things are coming into focus.'War and Peace' good book.

@Barbaraj day fast approaching all ready?

Hi my bilateral buddy.
Glad to see you are getting better and better all the time.
Lots of improvement to come:ok:

War and Peace' good book.
:umm:

Must be a different War and Peace that I read the cliff notes on.:shrug:

ODIC here I believe with the additional setback of painful carpel tunnel and I was ill this am with sorry for this diarrhea.Did not sleep last night and have the added bonus of thunderous construction going on outside my door. Glad to be leaving for the country tonight.But I will miss my Liliput my little cat, and the other wanderer Moussette but my son will come over.Have a good week-end all.

Thank you ceezee I will. It will be cooler and I sleep so well there. I am nervous for some reason about my 6th week appointment with the OS so this will be a treat before. Next week seems fraught with activity I could forego but can't. Find it is exhausting.

I understand the treat aspect! You deserve it.

My treat (and for my husband) is going to Manoir Hovey in Quebéc for 4 days near the end of October. I guess the colorful trees will be gone by then but I’ll still love it. Hopefully I can get some canoeing in. After that it’s 2 nights in Montréal. Food!!!

@mikeycat Glad to see you are going out to the country. I think it will really be beneficial to your psyche. Peaceful, restful, yes, sounds fantastic!!!♥️

Relax and enjoy your time away @mikeycat :flwrysmile:

Ooh, a peaceful few days in the country will probably go well, @mikeycat, and with better sleep I'm convinced we all feel better. And don't stress about your 6 week check up, I bet you'll get good news from your surgical team and then maybe no more appointments until you're a year out. Hang in there, hoping it's getting better every day despite the rotten carpal tunnel issue. Enjoy your time away.

I hope you had a good weekend, mikeycat
You'll have to tell us all about your getaway when you have time.
Is your 6 week appt with the surgeon this week? Want to wish you luck, whenever it is.
Happy Sunday!
@mikeycat

I have one leg which is bigger than the other due to that bite a few years ago. I am seeing the os on Tuesday and will ask him. It was the pt who recommended but even prior to surgery I had a prescription. There are different strengths mine are 20-30 mmHG. I may opt for the knee high. I notice the difference in my leg girth when wearing them and when I immediately take them off. I need to increase my water intake and elevate my legs if I could only find pillows that my legs don't roll off.

Hi @mikeycat :wave: your country getaway sounds so lovely. I could use a little getaway right about now! And I'm still a little under 3 weeks post op.!!
In regards to your legs rolling off a pillow? I use a very firm king sized pillow,, it does a very nice job and supports both legs well. A firm bolster is too firm but the firm king size pillow still gives enough to not close down lymph vessels that you are trying to help. another little trick to help your swelling-- while lying on your back with your feet elevated-- try taking big, deep breaths.. our bodies have a large amount of lymph nodes deep in our abdomen and "priming" them with deep breathing will help create a drawing (suction) effect. You can also help things along with placing your hand on your naval area.. take a deep breath, enough that you will see your hand move and then as you breath out press gently, yet firmly down on your naval area and do this at least 5-6 times.
I find, if I repeat this breathing exercise several times a day, that I can get things moving.
Your situation might be a little more tricky so I'd love to share some more tips with you, if you are interested?

I also used a firm body pillow under my legs or next to me since they are extra long I could place it crosswise and my legs could not roll off even if I shifted in bed or recliner a bit. It was easier to grab with the grabber also.

Thanks CricketHip I will use your tips. The edema is ebbing it seems as I haven't put on those dreaded stockings. The week-end was great but I have several bites leading to inflammation, extreme redness and oozing.@Layla As I am seeing the OS tomorrow he will not be pleased with this because I was sent an envelope of instructions prior to my apt. In it is a table of all the types of surgeries and other procedures I would need antibiotics for along with the name of antibiotic to be given and dosage. Think I will need antibiotic for the bites. I forgot yet again to bring insect repellent. I am loathe to use it but I must.
@leejaa I will look around for a king size pillow. I have only standard here.
@Barbaraj carpel tunnel is causing me havoc. I had a hard time straightening my hands and painful.
I don't know if anyone else gets this but when I take benadryl I sleep and then when I get up my muscles are sore and I can barely walk.
Anyhow cancelling physio today as I will not be able to make it tomorrow to OS as I will be too exhausted
@ceezee North Hatley--we had our place in the Eastern Townships as well. Yup we are a foodie city and when I came home (I live a hop skip and a jump) from all sorts of places, Greek, Italian, Iranian, Indian, Mexican, Caribbean, Japanese, Korean, even Louisiana cuisine and a cheese place that has cheeses from all over the world with sandwiches to die for made in front of you--people stand in line at lunch.Oh and the brunch places...
@Cecropia thanks for the well wishes. You are lucky as it appears you are in a peaceful rural space with quiet blissful quiet.
The noise has commenced at 6:50 outside my door and another added bonus no water today as the main valve will be turned off on this street. The street is closed so no cars or taxis can get here so I am marooned.
@Mojo333 merci. We are going back On Thursday for 4 days.

Oh and I found something for the hair loss thing--apple cider vinegar. Apparently it removes the film of shampoo which blocks the follicles. I tried it--burned because I have bites but I found a difference. Can't use it yet again because I have more bites.

Oh, the price we pay when we play sometimes, @mikeycat! Sorry that bug bites and carpal tunnel are causing problems, and I hope these ease up a bit. While gardening this past weekend I must have stuck my arm into a hive of something yesterday and really annoyed some sort of insects, as my right forearm has got about 5 or 6 very itchy bug bites on it. But not much I can do about it, and I'm powering through. Hope you get both your OS and physio appointments rescheduled--one step forward, two back it sometimes feels, but you ARE headed in the right direction--hang in there.

Thanks @Barbaraj. I have the OS tomorrow and I can't miss this one as per my physio. The physio apts. are all scheduled 2x a week Monday and Wednesday so I will be there Wednesday probably with all the restrictions lifted so the physio will certainly push. I am doing some of the exercises today. They are the ones that are to improve my gait. Toes forward and a bend of the leg backward to get me ready to push off with my leg extended in the back--done with leg off the bed.Also other exercises to have me walk straight using pelvic tilt and removing pressure from my back and stopping the the foot and toes going inward.
Nuisance those biting bugs-my arm would have been swollen and I'd have been in the hospital with an indwelling catheter. Was not too positive this week-end I can tell you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back