Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

Today a scorcher and a heat advisory. Mayor asks that neighbours check on elderly 65 and over --hey that would be me. They keep pools open longer and malls for a/c but I am here in my office with a/c and the bucket is filled with water. But now overcast maybe rain yippee. When it is 33 and the humidity high it is the equivalent of 40. We had deaths last year because of it.
Milestone for me here. Ascending and descending stairs one foot after the other -not the same foot and bringing the up or down the other. Let's see if I can continue this.Now if only I could walk normally and without devices now that would be a real milestone.

Happy Friday @mikeycat it sounds like you're in good company with the heat and humidity from what I'm reading here. We're experiencing the same. Yesterday was very hot and humid. Temps and dew points both dropping today and the weekend sounds nice. Whew!

Great news on your progress with the steps. Walking unassisted will come. You're only coming up on five weeks post op from bilateral surgery. It seems to me you're doing well.
Enjoy the weekend!

You are doing so well. Stairs the normal way is always a treat after all the pain and then recovery. Your progress for a bilateral is wonderful. Heat seems to be everywhere up in the northeast and even Alaska is hitting high 80s and 90. I never thought of Quebec as getting hot. It is one of my wish list cities so will have to plan on spring or fall for a visit. I do not do heat.

Not Québec City as much but Montréal is an island and it is so humid that it is exactly like NYC. With all the brick and stone buildings it is positively unbearable at times.

I am walking with only a cane now and am awaiting the rehab nordic walking sticks to continue my progress and perfect my gait-outside.I went to the country this week-end and got a mosquito bite and it is infected. I am now allergic because of a previous spider bite.Another worry.I have physio today at a rehab center--not looking forward as I am sore from all the walking this week-end. Went to restaurant 2x and 'shopped' --eh gads.

Sorry about the bite @mikeycat I hope it heals up quickly.
It's good to read you made it out shopping and enjoyed a couple of restaurant meals. It feels wonderful to join humanity again, doesn't it? I recall it felt that way, anyway. You gain a new appreciation for so many of the things we took for granted before the pain set in. Take it easy in Physio and consider icing preventatively afterward.
I hope you have a wonderful week!

Thank you so much Layla. I thought today would be cooler as it was yesterday in the mountains of course but no dice. I see it will swelter again this week. I sure hope the rehab center is air conditioned as my time will be limited there. I believe if I miss they will cancel me well so be it. I will ice as it will also cool the rest of me down. Ofttimes when I initially ice it hurts more than abates.

Hi Mikeycat.. you are doing so well with your bilateral recovery! I wanted to mention that I have the walking sticks and I think I may be ready for those soon.. I love going out in pastures with our dog.. hoping soon to join husband and above mentioned dog :puppysmooze: and feel a little more "normal." Even when I am off all assistive devices I think the walking sticks will be great on uneven surfaces... ooh, now I'm getting excited just thinking about it!
Have a good start to your week and good luck with the PT.

Last edited:
I am walking with only a cane now and am awaiting the rehab nordic walking sticks to continue my progress and perfect my gait-outside.
I have been using one Nordic walking stick made by Leki as my cane since I moved away from the walker. Mine is height adjustable so I was able to lower it to my hip which is correct height for a cane. As a Nordic walker you make it so your arm is at a 90° angle. I have two but have been just using one.

It has a cork handle and a shock absorber and I’ve had people in stores stop me to ask where I got it. :heehee:

The PTs use them here and the one who came to my home requested I get them. Many people around I see use them both for rehab and exercises and prep for skiing etc. A fellow bilateral in BC jwadds on this site used them as well. I believe they help quite a bit for walking.Thank you CricketHip. I can hardly wait . I ordered them from a place for seniors in another province. They have just about everything and I find cheaper and free shipping so a bonus.

Well went to rehab yesterday and glad I did. They have a room with mirrors, double bars, beds and all kinds of devices. They have hydrotherapy as well. The PT took a detailed history,measured things, as I lay on the PT bed. Says ROM good on both sides. Checked scars and said surgeon an artist as a thin line. I myself have not really looked at them. Wants the rehab sticks says cane no good for bilateral as one tends to favor a side. Also says we will improve my gait and I should be walking correctly. Had me fill out a form regarding my objectives and aims for PT.I really like him and know I will greatly improve. I am not sore today at all save my upper back from tension I guess.i left feeling really confident. Bonus this place is only 10 blocks from my house.

@mikeycat Good to hear your update. It sounds like it went well with your PT. Just remember if anything they have you do hurts, then don't do it! Definitely an improvement for you, keep it up!

I’m so glad your PT session was so positive! It sounds like they’re going to get you further down the road.

My experience is confusing and I’ve been struggling with mine. At the time of the PT I feel ok but then the rest of the day and the next day I don’t do well and am in pain.

I am sorry to hear that. Maybe it is just time you need to heal.You ice and use your pain meds, right? You are only a couple of weeks before me and the PT says a year is more like total recovery so give yourself a chance and pamper yourself.

I have not had any pain meds for awhile finished after 3 weeks and have not been on any medication except aspirin which finished last night.The hospital only gave me 30 tabs of 5mg. oxycodone and after 2 weeks called and asked if I had any left and I said 12 tabs so they asked me to return them to the pharmacy.The PT said I got quite a bit less than others even when my dossier indicates I take no pills. They even remarked on it. So I am essentially on no meds. The PT said my history shows I am in excellent health no issues except arthritis. The thing is I could never indicate on any a scale where my pain was only if it went upward and beyond say 7 . I have always had high tolerance to pain. My periods were out of this world and I could not communicate and I would be writhing in pain and this went on since I was 12 until bc pills.So I guess other stuff paled and I built up endurance who knows.

Walking/Hiking sticks are awesome. I walk our fields (not now but will again) and it is all uneven so I always use them. No sense giving oneself an injury with all the replacements in my legs. I also find that with using arms it is good exercise for them and they assist in decreasing any back issues since I use two and it keeps my posture correct and balanced.

The walking stocks (Nordic) sound like a great idea. What brands/types are recommended? I’ve looked up Leki here and they are pretty expensive starting at AU$200. What are the features I would need, assume adjustable, and with ability to have rubber stopper at the bottom? Some seem to have a handle like ski poles, others a handle like a walking stick, which one would be best for a double hippy like me, I would need two to replace my crutches. I’m still mostly walking on the footpaths around home, but hope to venture more bush in the months to come!

I ordered from a senior care place specifically for rehab post op hip surgery. Mine are called 'activators professional edition.' I hope they arrive soon as I want to walk outside and I think the 1 cane use is giving me a backache on the more difficult left side. Well at least I have rehab tomorrow which I have to get to by taxi. I am getting down about the hair loss and edema I am experiencing.Have to find solutions to both. The compression stockings are difficult to put on but I may order a device from the same place that I will get the walking sticks.

Thanks @ceezee & @mikeycat for the info, I will go explore on google for sticks!!
@mikeycat I hear you about hair loss, mine has been falling out a lot in the shower. I have had this happen before after surgery, its considered a major shock to the body so my dr said, so hair loss can happen. I am taking my hair/nails/skin supplement, there are heaps on the market, plus some iron & vit D/calcium. My dr once prescribed minoxidil, it seemed to help but you had to keep using it continuously each day, and made my hair sticky. Hopefully my hair will get better over time as I recover. I have had it cut short again before surgery, so my pic is not quite accurate, it‘s now a bob above my shoulders, so looks a bit better as it‘s a bit thinner.
I have a stocking aid for my compression tights/stockings, got it online at mobility place that sells aids for daily living, sort of like a double gutter, it has helped with stockings, tights & even socks. My OS has allowed me to ditch the TED‘s early and I wear compression tights, like Lycra gym/exercise tights or skins. They are easier to put on & look better with my normal clothes.
Here’s a link to what my stocking aids look like:
https://images.app.goo.gl/3aQEqBsQjJSCV4Dg9

Thanks for the info. I have thigh high compression stockings-no fun and I had someone from our community health center come over very day for 2 weeks to put them on and hubby took them off. I needed extra weeks but they forgot so I cancelled. I need them again as my legs are leaky.There were 2 models one similar to the one you sent at the place I am getting the walking sticks.The compression tights sound better. But boy do I sweat a lot.I am going to get my hair cut as I can see right through. I had a dream prior to surgery that my hair would turn grey(it is still my original chestnut colour) it didn't turn grey but I didn't bargain or consider going bald. I was under a lot of stress as I am prone to it. Today rehab at 11 am.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom