Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

I seriously am doubting my decision which was never too 'pro' to begin with.

While these thoughts may cross your mind, I'd try to replace them quickly, you can't go back, but only figure out how to best move forward each week. I hope you're not expecting daily progress. You'll be let down if you are.

Tylenol simply doesn't work for me and I don't like the idea of kidney or liver damage with excessive use.

While I understand your concern, you're only using it temporarily, so try not to worry.

I read a study once where seniors took 4000mg of Tylenol a day for a year and their was no change in their liver function, which was good news.

Hopefully this eases your mind a bit in regard to using OTC pain relievers.

After chemo and several operations I found a new hobby.. Noticing.. details

It's wonderful you're getting out for a drive and walk with your husband today. I think being out in nature may give you a new perspective. Things can always be worse as in what mainegirl1 typed above.
Be strong....you'll triumph. It's still extremely early days.

Hugs :console2:
@mikeycat

I found one thing that helped is headphones, and listening to music, music that makes me happy. Podcasts are excellent, they take you away for awhile. I know how hard it is not to feel depressed and alone. Sometimes a ride and get an ice cream cone will work wonders

Hi @mikeycat , I totally get where your coming from and @Layla and others have pointed out it’s early days and I think you are doing so well wow standing with out using the arms of the shake and starting to walk the cane too amazing.
I am kinda a hybrid as I had two separate surgeries to replace my hips one week apart so I guess I’m a delayed bilateral. I too thought wow I’m axing this walking outside tick shower tick could get myself in and out of bed tick . Them bam outta no where kinda feel low bummed out and a bit uncertain of what’s right or wrong to do next .
So I started reading some threads and realised that most people somewhere along the line hit this wall seems mental and physical. It is temporary we gotta hold on wait keep doing what we can with the energy we have that day and it will pass .
I still am a little blue haven’t walk as much over the last couple of days as my sleep has been well non existent so have been micro napping in the day . My right leg will not behave at night and my back pain comes and goes but boy when we think what we have achieved and what our bodies have gone through it’s miraculous.
Hold on my friend we will be laughing this time next year and before that too . Thinking of you .

Well everyone I have read and taken heart of all that you have said. Today I am walking with a cane. I really have no pain but as said stiffness. It is no longer in the hip area but the groin. I never liked tylenol (just imagine you have to take tylenol to build up its effect but advil not and since my BP has always been low ibuprofen elevates it slightly so I don't want to faint (in the summer when I sweat like a pallbearer). Advil is instantaneous and an inflammatory which tylenol isn't. I have also read what is said here but I was given advil and tylenol to take with simultaneously for pain. The advil is finished. I too have seen someone on dialysis due to tylenol. I will see my OS July 16 and will make sure to see if it is contraindicated.If it helps you @Cecropia I am glad for you. I think we must follow our bodies and do what is best for ourselves.I hope your pain leaves your body and you are left with smooth walking and doing all that you want to do and you feel like a butterfly. I wish I could have that strawberry pie. My mom was a baker. I love gathering recipes.
Many meds do not work on me. They had a devil of a time at the hospital and had to bring in a new anesthesiologist the following day after surgery.@mainegirl1 it was my bloomin OS (probably a great salesman--aren't they all) who said I would be driving in 10 days and running in 6 weeks. Oh yup I will be running to the appointment to flog him with a wet noodle.
I really have been without pain (except nagging back ache pre surgery) for a couple of weeks. My right leg feels almost normal the left well is the slower sister.
It was sunny today and we ate lunch in the garden outside of the heat (30). Tomorrow is the day. The PT is the one the government provides and gawd only knows whom I will have at re-hab but I have my own. @winemama 2-3 errands holy batmobile you are moving. I can only wish. Good for you. Like to hear about others' progress.
@cornishgal--OMG 2 within a week that appears to be worse than bilateral. I am in awe. Get the sleep you need forget the walking and other stuff. I am here to tell you it goes up and down up and down. Be blue all you want after what you have been through--eh gads.I'm with you --yup and this time next year we will be doing a jig--well first I have to learn.Thinking of you too.

Er scrap the sunny day I hear thunder and see lightening -getting real dark and we are about to have a real downpour.

@mikeycat Like you, I found that Tylenol, even at the recommended 4000mg per day, was having no effect on my pain. My OS said try the combination with Advil but that didn’t help either. So now I’m on just Advil, with his blessing and that is helping.

You’re doing so well with a bilateral. Ups and downs of course, but seriously impressive.

We just had a severe thunderstorm go through and the temperature went from 33° down to 20° in about 15 minutes! And my hip was not happy.

Wow, your temp is 30 degrees..... It was 87 here in mid Michigan. Happy for you using a cane some. I just noticed today I have a callous on my palm from my cane. I still use it in the morning and during the night, I stiffen up during the night and don't feel comfortable enough in the dark yet.

um the 30 was celsius @ Cecropia. Not the 30 associated with winter!:snow plough: 30 C is 86..:SUNsmile: At anyrate both are HOT.
During chemo I had bone pain and was told to alternate ibuprofen and acetominaphen.. It kind of took the edge off. But whatever.What works for me may not for you. It is a treasure hunt of sorts.. one we would rather not play
@mikeycat good luck and prayers for a gentle understanding PT.. remember you are boss.! I bet it will be nice to get out of the house!

Me too I have callouses on both my hands from clinging to that walker for dear life. Today I used only the cane around the house going up and down the stairs. I too get stiff and keep that trusty walker near my bedside.The PT from the health community center would be frowning at me. Too bad she is off my case now and has had me transferred to re-hab hospital protocol for BTHR.
It is so humid here the large bucket attached to the ac is filled in no time. But something very very strange is happening to me. I am the one who sweats like no tomorrow at just a slight change in temp. My clothes get soaked and my hair soaking wet--have always been like this. But now no sweat at all even need a blanket at night and it was 23 during the night outside and probably 26 inside. Think it is the ASA thinning my blood. I take one in am and one in pm. Only 9 more days then no meds whatsoever yippee.

@mainegirl1 I remember one day several years ago I was working at my store and it was August and so hot the ac barely worked. I was in a pool of sweat. I looked out the window because there was a huge outdoor thermostat and it read 41.Closed the store and headed for Maine and the ocean.
Today my husband says he sees the real me--oh goodie--I sure hope I have more hair soon too. I am still not on the list at re-hab because I did not take the appointment on Thursday. I think I am gonna get it. But I called a private PT who will be coming to my house on Wednesday.

@Layla You are right I can't go back and I have to move forward. I generally pace myself and finally accept my fate. Today went out for a drive and had lunch but in the car. Didn't go to the country as there were thunderstorms and pouring rain. But it abated in the afternoon. Tomorrow is a national holiday here so everyone has it off. I really had hoped to be in the country but there you are. I am sore today after having used a cane all day though 2 hours were in the car-think it tuckered me out.

Good to see you out...I hope you get out again soon, it really is a good feeling. ❤

Happy Canada Day! Is it commonplace to wish people a Happy Canada Day? :shrug:
I do know I love your national anthem, Oh Canada, it's beautiful.

Glad to hear you enjoyed a meal out with hubs, even if it was in the car. With any luck a night of sleep helped ease your discomfort. Happy Monday....I hope it's a good one!
@mikeycat

@Layla thank you. We sort of like it too and it is sung in English and French and now a native language honoring some of the peoples who founded the country, the indigenous first nations of course owning the land before us.
Well some semblance of a night's sleep and breakfast in the garden. Stiff very stiff. Will take it easy.
@Cecropia I really saw what I missed this past month and it brought tears to my eyes.

Happy Canada Day @mikeycat ! How are you celebrating? We are going to Grand Manan Island next week.. oops I have to check we have Canadian cash.. There is nary a bank out there.

@mikeycat My first meal out was in the car too!! lol. Then another day we ventured to a restaurant and sat inside. I was a nervous wreck, but it went well. And yes, my first ride other than to my OS appointment I was in wonder at how everything had greened up and a neighbor painted their house a different color in the past 5 weeks. Everything I took for granted seems refreshing and new to my eyes.

@mikeycat so glad you got out for a while and a meal, even if it was in the car. Like date night back in the day! :heehee:

Yea @Elf1 date night. Went to a restaurant and had a hot dog and french fries and I said I was a cheap date to which my husband responded 'not cheap enough, ha'. It's kind of a thing when I am feeling a certain way. It is right by the mighty St. Lawrence River which was gushing and had heavy current, white caps.It was raining slightly. Lots of birds.
@mainegirl1 Grand Manan huh been awhile for me. Well you'll certainly get a bang for your buck exchange at 24%. I had a big nap and I got up easily and am walking with a cane. I want to attempt the stairs down to the basement=10. Hubby wants me to do it only when he is there.Yea,yea.

@mikeycat I hope being by the water was soothing.

We’ve been going to Canada on vacation for decades and have had the exchange rate go both ways. We usually end up in Montreal which is my favorite city in North America. But we’ve been all over in all of the providences east of Minnesota. We used to do a lot of two week canoe camping in Algonquin Provincial Park.

This fall as a reward to both me and my husband in getting through my two hip replacements and his super intense tax season in the fall are going to Manoir Hovey in Quebec Province and then over to Montreal. The exchange rate is a bonus but if it changes our plans won’t.

I don’t know where you are in Quebec but everywhere I’ve been it’s beautiful.

Our vacations are usually in Canada and have been since 1963! @ceezee another canoeist! We started canoeing in Algonquin in 1965 and have spent usually 10 days there each year. We have canoed in many other places in Canada including 500 miles of the Yukon River, the Snake and Peel Rivers and the Missinaibi River and Quetico and Wabakimi and Woodland Caribou and all the Ontario coast of Lake Superior.. We have been cross Canada now some 16 times.. I have seen more of Canada than the USA( we have only not gotten to Nunavut). My favorite town is Keno Yukon Territory.

This really hip is not helping those endeavors and I can't wait for it to be removed.. Portaging is out right now and we have a garage full of portage packs. You will love Manoir Hovey.. we pass by it often to go through Montreal ( La Belle Ville de Construction perpetuelle) and up to Mattawa or La Verendrye or further west and north.

@mikeycat Not worried about exchange rate. There isn't anything we need to buy.. Sounds ridiculous but I love Sobeys and you can't imagine how excited I am about a supermarket!

And yes I can still canoe and kayak.. We will be taking boats!

I keep thinking you might live near Boulevard St Laurent..and Schwarz''s Deli.. My mouth is running again.

So happy you had a nap and a easy rise from the said nap! I understand from my TKR that the hardest thing for me to restore was my confidence!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back