Bilateral THR Oh 'dreams' exactly as visioned

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
So I am back as of June 3. This is my saga.I was very grateful to have all of you as one cannot really discuss this with anyone. Superb docs, equal length legs, nurses to die for, skilled, compassionate and at your beck and call (not that I used it) but not the hospital to stay in unless you want a zoo atmosphere.Great care at home-nurse came by everyday today including today to change my dressings. They were oozing. Also PT every other day --oh boy. Have exercises 3x a day. But hey folks I am with all of you less is so much better.Near tears the first time because I did not use any narcotic. Was told to use. I have not gone up steps as I came in medi-van and I wanted to go.I have larger than normal stairs lucky me-cement. They thought I was advanced- no it was adrenaline and I was motivated to get out.Have few drugs Xarelto til Friday and then baby aspirin for 30 days.Sent me home with prescriptions for tylenol, ibuprufen and oxycodone. Had a devil of a time getting my BP up and they would not do physio until at least until systolic (upper) was 100. I was nauseous frequently but under control there. They have special beds that inhibit bed sores. They do not catheterize and rarely give transfusions.Lots of handwashing charts. They take infection very seriously.They constantly take your oxygen level. I was teary often--new thing for me and felt very vulnerable--still do. My husband has been instrumental in my exiting early. He helped me at the hospital like no other. I am fortunate. He fixed all here so I am motivated to 'get there'. It is he IOf course I was nauseous at home and sorry, had diarrhea. I have eaten hardly anything in the last week.

I want to reiterate what everyone of you who sent me a message has meant. It is truly a blessing. And to all who had surgery may you have such a speedy recovery that everything is a distant memory. How brave all were. And a special hello to Crecopia. Hope you are doing wonderfully.

WELCOME! :welome: It's wonderful to see you on the Recovery side and read your update.
It sounds like a bit of a rough start but as a courageous bi-lateral you seem to be doing well.
Following you'll find the Recovery Guidelines. Please pay special attention to the Big Tip, especially in these early weeks -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

You know we're here for you. Sending healings hugs your way and best wishes for your comfort. :friends:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I am definitely doing exercises only once daily.i believe whole heartedly what you are saying Layla. The PT is sent by the hospital and government. I should have taken the student and could have maneuvered better. I will feign things and I know I have to fit in some statistic but I will get my way. Usually I let things drop. I will show this to my husband who is always of the same mind as me. But he knows the system too. Thanks for all the info.I read much before but with so much to do and read my mind is apparently a sieve.

Welcome to recovery. :wave:

May it be all you want and need it to be. Glad you have your husband to help you. As easy as mine was, I would not have made it before or after without him. Take it easy on the therapy. A little goes a long way.

Hope you have a peaceful night and lots of rest. :flwrysmile:

So happy to see you on the recovery side @mikeycat! It is a blessing when we get released and can do our recovery at home. And even better when you have a caring companion to help! Get plenty of rest and I hope your using ice when following Layla's above post on Control Discomfort, it really helps. Keep us posted when you're able, you already know that we're always here for you! Wishing you a peaceful night at home! :angel:

@mikeycat Good to see those Canadian geese flying on the postOP side. I'm glad you are coming along, it's new pain, but this kind will heal. I also was on xarelto for 5 days and then switched to aspirin, but 325mg a day. I wore the compression stockings for a week and took a couple days off. Those things hurt my legs... I am having trouble eating, because I tend to lose my appetite when stressed, but hanging in there. I just kept thinking about you doing both legs and like oh brother I hope shes okay.
Sounds like a very caring staff of nurses and doctors took care of you. Well, it will take time to heal, but
YOU DID IT! Yeah!!!!!:yes!:

@mikeycat Oh I had diarrhea a couple days ago too, but my one brother sent something called edibles, like arrangements of fruit dipped in chocolate. I ate way too much of it too fast because it was fruit and it tasted so good, the chocolate was so good... I had a good clean out....:heehee: Well it temporarily took care of the constipation...

Happy One Week Anniversary!
You made it a week already :yay: pretty soon the weeks will feel like they're clicking by.
I hope you had a good night with some decent sleep.
Wishing you a relaxing Friday and a peaceful weekend. :friends:
@mikeycat

Hi everyone. Well I rarely if ever get constipation no matter what and I didn't .Had the reverse. My wounds have been leaking and a nurse has been here daily to change the dressings. She said I would have to return to the hospital because they were to remove the staples on Monday-10th day. But I know they can wait until the 14th. But with gov. cut backs etc. I dont think they want to. But over my dead body I am not going back.And I think one nurse ripped the skin. The best nurse was the retired orthopedic one. All have experience though in orthopedics.Just my luck with the last one. I think it is PT as I did not leak or at least only 1 side very minimally at the hospital--just til I came home with the PT at bay awaiting me.I have never been so busy here.I now have to get compression stockings and I have a prescription- so free- but I have to go to the place for the measurements. I have them mind you but the rules for prescription and payment are such. I cannot go up and down the stairs. Funny though I can clean myself up and dress and other things but there you are. I think they want me going up and down stairs--they rarely let you leave but because I was able to do so many things and they knew I would have transport I was allowed to leave.But the oozing, the inability to go up and down the stairs, the prescription stocking thing oh and pain--had a lot from yesterday, the fact I am awaiting another dressing change is getting to me.Trying to do minimal getting around for the oozing part.Thanks Cecropia we appear to have similar stories. I just started eating last night-ordered out. Can't stand the sight of anything I made.

:flwrysmile:@mikeycat Good to hear from you my hippie friend. You have a lot of things going on. I had something called a pic that was a drainage tube that came home with me, somehow attached to the stitches and came off after a week. They will get that figured out for you and things will get better. Don't let the PT do things you don't want or need. The nursing is the most important right now.

Make sure they measure those stockings really well, even test drive them if you can before you go home with them. Mine were SO LONG, I had to roll them down at the top, it was miserable. They sent them home with me so I did not know they were so far off.

You are doing great for 1 week. Sending lots of hugs. Glad you are eating, even if take out, that's good. I have not cooked anything, my husband has been doing that and he never cooked before. lol. I drink a carnation breakfast drink in the morning. For lunch, a homemade yogurt smoothie with a banana and blueberries or strawberries, and plain yogurt with a little splenda to sweeten it. For supper whatever my husband fixes, nothing fancy.

Will be sending lots of good karma your way. Just hang in there, bilateral queen....:friends:

Hi @mikeycat it's nice to see you taking the time to update. I hope you're doing well and having a peaceful weekend and any pain is well controlled.
I don't understand why they're waiting so long to get you into the compression socks?
It doesn't make much sense as I'd assume after 8 days you're moving around a fair amount during the day and at that point it seems the TEDS would be less necessary. But it is best to follow your OS's instruction.

I'd check with the OS also to see if he's okay with you waiting the extra 4 days for the staple removal. It can't hurt to have them check your incisions on the 10th if they're still leaking. That's if the nurse will no longer be making daily visits.

Good to read you have an appetite and you're eating. Try to take in some protein, it's very important for healing. It helps repair muscle damage while regenerating tissue and speeding up wound healing.
Hope you have a relaxing evening.

Hi fellow double hippie
It gets easier I promise! I said no to the PT until 10 days and have healed enough now to do most of the exercises without more than muscular pain which must be the intent. PT shouldn’t be causing pain or leakage.
The stockings can actually be comfortable if you’re legs are swollen and I also sleep with my knees and calves on a pillow to reduce swelling which helps. Just get them measured properly.
Glad you’re eating. As @Layla said eat protein as you need it for healing. Plus iron. I use supplement drinks as it’s sometimes easier when you have no appetite.
Get as much rest as you can as that will help you cope
Remember it’s temporary and in a few months you’ll love your new pain free hips.

Hi @mikeycat :wave:
Just catching up and so happy to see you are already home.:happydance:
These first weeks are definitely jarring but all the above advice is on point...and things will level off.:yes:
Glad you are all done with those bad hips!
Have a restful Sunday,:ice: healing hugs...

Well, I have had half the staples removed and someone has come in to put on the compression stockings up to the thigh. They come in every day to put on and to remove. They are comfortable and it was measured beforehand as they do. The rest of the staples will be removed on Thursday. I have been speaking with the nurse and different hospitals have different methods also using different products.I have gone up and down the stairs with ease-easier than I thought. The PThad me walking a few steps with a cane only but I will wait longer for that.I haven't been moving around so much because of the leakage-my choice. The PT and nurse are in communication with the OS and everything is ordered as needed. It is very efficient.They listen very well to requests, complaints, concerns etc. I am so grateful to all who are caring for me and to all of you well-wishers I could seriously not have done it without all the people here.
I will go to re-hab for 2 weeks-3x a week on an outpatient basis.I think I should like the company of others as I shall be alone hopefully with much more autonomy.
I made a lot of food prior but I want other stuff. I like my eggs and clementines in the am. Strangely I have reverted back to tea. I like mango and berries and fish and yogurt.There was also a whole diet sent back with me from the hospital prior to surgery.i also counselled in nutrition so I know what to eat but I somehow want something someone else has made. I live near all kinds of restaurants of every ethnic variety so that helps with the nausea. It has since abated as I take baby aspirin and tylenol now.I use gingerale for nausea and it works.Thanks to all. Pain is so minimal more muscles like steel and stiffness.i am doing far far better.How are you doing Cecropia?

You definitely sound like you're moving along nicely! So happy to hear this!

I come here when I can.Sometimes I feel like I am climbing Everest as everyone here must have felt. I feel like no progression and sometimes I question what I did. Apparently when I came back from recovery I had general(my choice) my first exclamation was 'what have I done?'To Elfi1 I can now think of someone else. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Is this your first? Thank you Mojo333. I thought of you obviously because you had a bilateral and I said even if older I can do it too.Thanks for the tips yogigirl--how ya doing? Had yours a few days before mine like Cecropia. Thanks SarahBee I know how invaluable my husband was words cannot repay. I have so many thank you cards to send-to the hospital and home workers and here.Thanks for all the info Layla. Right now I have to try to ease my hind quarters out of this chair --tight fit-oh boy. Wish I could compress my whole body.i wish I could sleep. It does not come easy. Think it is all the adrenaline--same thing that kept the pain meds from getting to me I think. I was in a pool of sweat at the hospital.They thought I had fever but no 36.5 and it was 9 C outside and I had the windows open. Same thing happened here when the nurse removed the staples. In a pool of sweat.That adrenaline works overtime with me.

Oh @mikeycat
So happy to hear from you.:happydance:
I know how tough these first weeks are...but you are making it...step by step...day by day.:yes:

I think you are doing beautifully, and Yes Ma'am, you can do this and will be so happy you did!:ok:
Lots of grand healing mojo coming your way, my superwoman double hippy pal!
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
m3yj1ao2do
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom