THR October 4 RTHR Recovery

CoastNC

Country
United States United States
I'm on Day 2, came home yesterday around 1pm. Had some groin joint pain that was nagging me - I don't remember that from the other surgery. This time I decided not to be so brave and just take the dang Oxy, constipation be damned. I've eaten very little since Sunday, so I decided to rush down some cereal and milk. Mistake! I threw it all up. Last night I decided to stop the Oxy at 2am, and I woke up feeling pretty good. Did some of the easy excercises which actually helped the groin pain. It's 5:30 now and the groin pain is mostly gone. HOWEVER, my therapist warned me about DAY 3 and the NERVE BLOCK ending. What do ya'll say to this?

I was also warned the nerve block would end and be followed by big pain... didn't happen for me. Took pain med on schedule so that it didn't have a chance to get ahead and I never had that big spike. I know others do... but it isn't a given...

That Oxy is nasty, isn’t it? I grew quite nauseated on it as well. Between that and the antibiotic, which will thankfully end tomorrow, I haven’t got much of an appetite either. I’m a week out now and am pretty much off of the oxy except for 5 mg at night if I need it.

You musta had some nerve block!! I swear, mine was gone by the time I left the hospital. Days 1 through 3 aren’t fun but you are expected only to take to your nest with ice and be waited on hand and foot, if possible.

Miralax will help without turning your guts inside out.

I'm not really that worried because I have a very high tolerance to pain. But very very low tolerance to constipation.

My surgeon used Exparel, which (I think) is an injection on or into the surgical site. It should last 72 hours, so I have until noon today so we will see.

Congratulations @CoastNC , you did it!

I was like you and had the groin pain with my second hip.. but like we always say here, no 2 hips are the same.

We need to get you to the recovery side but for now I'd love to leave our recovery guidelines for you to read over. You may be surprised with what you may have forgotten about the recovery. The Nerve block wearing off isn't too bad, IMO. I did need to kick up the pain meds and stay on a schedule, though. But nothing horrible.

I drank a little can of prune juice every morning, plus I ate around 3-4 prunes daily along with the stool softeners.
Nary an issue while doing that, except for maybe it worked too well.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@CoastNC, I started a recovery thread for you and moved the comments on your recovery to it. If you would like to change your title, please let us know.

Hi all!

Only day 4! This procedure is a miracle. As some of you here know, I had hardware failure on my first THR, and I had to get a revision 13 days later. I thought the 2nd surgery was SO much easier than the first, but looking back, I see that my recovery was actually very very slow.
When the Exparel wore off at 72 hours, I noticed some additional pain in my thigh, but nothing big.
I am simply amazed at how good I feel. At this rate my problem is going to be boredom and doing too much too fast. If I had my wishes I would be reading my books by the ocean right now.
I'm doing physical therapy, but I'm going to be careful this time with my knees, which were arthritic 2 years ago, but I had no idea they were. I'm looking forward to walking, and I can't wait to get the OneStep App to work on my gait.

Wow!! You sound great. And you are wise to understand the need to not take it too fast. That seems to be where we get ourselves into trouble. Celebrate great days like this!!

At this rate my problem is going to be boredom and doing too much too fast
I hope you're able to refrain from this. It sounds like you're doing well only days out of this major surgery.
In regard to physical therapy, please keep this in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
A great week to you! :wave:

My RTHR was also October 4 -- hello, hipmate! Congratulations on your new hip and smooth recovery. It really is a fantastic procedure.

I was also warned the nerve block would end and be followed by big pain... didn't happen for me. Took pain med on schedule so that it didn't have a chance to get ahead and I never had that big spike. I know others do... but it isn't a given...
I wish my surgeon had warned me. I woke up in the middle of the night in extreme pain. Unfortunately, at that point I was behind the pain. It took awhile to get it all under control.

Day 9.

Progress on this side is so very fast. My first 2 surgeries took 5 times as long to get to this point.

Walking with a cane in the house. Probably will get the go ahead to walk outside with a cane next PT visit (Monday). I saw my surgeon this past Monday, and he took the bandage off (ouch!), approved me for showers, and said that when I was out & about with a cane I can drive. I wasn't prepared for this; I thought I would be housebound for a month.

Yesterday my husband left the house in a hurry and forgot to put my stockings on, so I thought I would give it a go solo. I did it!!! I used the sock helper to get my foot in, then used the grabber to go over the heel. I stood up and bent my leg backwards on the bed and by reaching behind I was able to shimmy that thing up over my knee. Then I was able to get it up to my thigh. It didn't even take that long! I can take care of all my needs - the only thing I still can't do is clean the cat litter boxes. Although I have a plan for that too . . . .

Before the surgery I was bartending (I'm too old for this ****) at night 4 times a week, and putting in about 12,000 steps every shift. It was absolutely miserable and every SINGLE step was torture. The plan is to study for my Property & Casualty insurance license so I can kiss food & beverage goodbye.

Now I just have to be VERY careful and not get careless.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How have you been doing the past couple of weeks? Hopefully well and enjoying steady progress.
Hope to hear from you soon. Until then, all the best to you!
@CoastNC

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks