BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Gratitude.<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by funkymuse, Oct 22, 2017.

1. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

United States United States
    Hello everyone!

I'm 5 days out and have been reading and gaining much info in regards to my recovery from your forums! So grateful.

The main thing I'm grateful about is that although my PT's told me I have to push to unbearable pain limits, the info on these threads indicates otherwise.

I came home on Thursday, and on Friday I pushed myself to the max and ended up in so much swelling and pain that Friday was a bit of a wash. I felt like I lost ground.

Plus I'm only 5 days out so icing, elevating and just gentle walking and stretching is all that is needed for now.

I was also told that the dreaded scar tissue would build up if I didn't get ROM and straightening down by 2 weeks out. That scared me. But the patient stories I am reading here indicate a different scenario. Thank God!

One of the things I want to inquire about is how the heck to get out of bed after elevating and resting for an hour or so. I'm asking because as I swing my legs off the bed to stand, horrific pressure, burning and pain start up fast in my leg and the pain is unbearable. I'm not sure what to do to have that ease up before I get out of bed. Any suggestions on 'how to get up' to avoid this scenario would be much appreciated.

Most of the time when I'm getting up, I need to rush to the bathroom to pee... so taking a lot of time to prepare to get up is going to be troublesome but if it decreases the burning, pain and pressure I'm totally willing to do it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@funkymuse, please tell us the date of your surgery and what surgery you had done. That way we can add it to your signature for you and that information will be right there all the time.

I used my non-operated leg to lift and lower my tkr leg. I did it very slowly so the pain wouldn't be so bad. It's going to hurt, but not as bad if you go slowly. I will leave you our recovery articles to help you. If you follow these guidelines you'll have a much easier and quicker, less painful journey!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @funkymouse - and :welome:

To help your leg not to feel such pain when you get up, take your time, as sistersinhim recommended. It's a good idea to plan to go to the bathroom before you are desperate, so you can afford to take your time.
    Move your legs around in the bed a bit before swinging them off the bed, then sit up on the edge of the bed for a little while, to allow your leg to get used to the effect of gravity.
    That should help a bit.

4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes, do what the above advice says: use something —your other leg (if non-operated), a leg lifter, a belt, some people use the handle of their cane— to ease your operated leg off the bed. That pain after swinging your leg off will eventually go away. Give it another week or so. Until then, though, they’ll appreciate some help. The pain you describe is oh-so-wellknown to us!

Fear not the dreaded scar tissue! Sane gentle exercising will get your knee to where it needs to be.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I remember how this happens and how awful it is when you're desperate to get to the bathroom! So my advice is to either use an old towel to wap between your legs at the crucial moment or get some Attends pads to do like wise! At least then you don't end up leaking all over the place!

I was also grateful for the use of a leg lifter which was useful for all sorts of things like getting in and out of the bath. Wouldn't have been without mine.

leg lifter.jpg

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Thanks All! And Sistersinhim - I added my surgery date to my first post. Thank you!

Also after my first post, I adjusted my pain meds so that the pain upon getting up is about 25% less than what it was and I can deal with that! So onward I go! hope you all have a great day of healing!!!

So glad to be here!

• Like Like x 3
  7. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Ok.. here's something I have not read about here on the forums as yet.

I spoke about the issues of getting out of bed and the huge amount of pain & burning coming down like a free falling 1000lb weight and now that feeling is back. I tried for 15 mins to get out of bed... letting the leg down easy, lifting it back up... lifting it up to the side to lessen the effect of the gravity, sitting on the bed and stretching, etc., etc. and one thing I began to notice is that besides the pressure it feels downright frozen inside - like it's gone to sleep!

Do our knee areas go to sleep on us after resting for awhile? This feeling seems to make the pressure worse and it's an entire awful sprained like feeling with tingling and the whole bit.

I also noticed that today the scar seems to be waking up... tingling nerves, etc. Anyone have suggestions? My only thought was to take another pain pill, give it 30 and then try to get up again. I've got to get up and move but this 1000lbs of AWFUL of stopping me. Help!!!

8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, the log leg certainly is an issue for some but I can only suggest that you force yourself to stand up and bear that awful 'filling til it bursts' sensation until it settles down. It will go in for a couple of days but eventually it should normalise.

As for the tingling nerves thing, is this occurring on the outside of your knee? If so, it's a perfectly normal thing caused by the incision. Read this Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

9. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Well now I'm really frustrated. I just spent 15 mins writing what has happened to me in the last few days and I hit a key and it all disappeared. BIG SIGH.

So let me gather it all into a nutshell. The doc at a local hospital emergency room that I ended up going to on Monday night since the pain had gotten to the point that I could not even walk to the bathroom anymore, and my own doc's nurse, whom I saw the next day, both thought I had an infection in the knee that has been causing the SEARING pain and pressure when I stand up. So they put me on antibiotics.

Finally when I saw my OWN Doc yesterday Wed, he said 'you don't have an infection, you have a swollen hematoma on top of your knee. He then instructed me to ace bandage from toes to above my knee and ice and keep my leg up for as long as possible everyday to help drain the hematoma and also to use arnica cream. Also he told me I could not do PT until the swelling from this Hematoma had gone down.

My concern, which is a big one and is scaring me, is that my surgery was last Tues and it's over a week now and I have barely done any PT!!! I mean it's been that I haven't even been able to do the small amount of walking I need to do daily. I'm hoping that by tomorrow morning the massive swelling will be down and I can begin finally to do the PT exercises and start getting my walking going. Please let me know if I need to be fearful of the dreaded scar tissue building up since I'm starting this PT so late!
    :dubious:
    Thank you so much for your comments and feedback.

10. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Hello! I've heard of these circulating ice water machines! I want one and so looking on Amazon there are so many to choose from! Which ones are highly recommended? Sure appreciate feedback on this! :)

11. Nlh61

Nlh61 junior member

I got mine through my doctor. I ordered it before my surgery and it was in my room when I got ready to go home. Insurance paid for it. Mine plugs in. You don’t want the gravity one. I must say it is wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You’re not quite ten days out from your surgery, so take some deep breaths (good for people who aren’t up and walking) and rest assured your knee won’t develop dreaded scar tissue for lack of PT.

For one thing, Dread Scar Tissue is a myth used to scare people, like the Boogey Man under the bed. You will get scar tissue... where it’s needed, like closing your incision. You want that scar tissue! What you’re worried about is properly called “adhesions” inside the joint and those are a rare complication. Really rare. PT doesn’t prevent them, either, and may in some cases cause them to form. So if you can, unlink doing or not doing PT from that fear.

Many people never do any PT at all and they have excellent TKR recoveries. They do gentle exercises on their own and go about their daily lives, walking, sitting, doing things. That’s really all the exercise your new knee needs. Other people do go to PT and enjoy it or find it helpful; many people like the structure of having a therapist come in or of getting out of the house to PT. The social aspect was one I liked. But you don’t have to start PT right now for it to be effective. Your doctor knows this.

The most important part of your recovery right now is to do what your doctor said and rest your knee, and allow that hematoma to resolve. Did your doctor tell you when you could start doing gentle knee bends? Those will help your knee, as will walking, if permitted.

At least you now know why your knee was in such pain! :sad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. sistersinhim

The one thing I can suggest to stay away from is the one that has a timer on it. I mistakenly bought one and it's maximum running time is 30 minutes. That is a real hassle during the night when you're sleeping. It kept waking me up when it cut off! Oh yeah, I agree about the not getting the gravity fed one. I think they are all pretty much the same, except for the GameReady. You have to have a whole lot of extra money to afford that one!

14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @funkymuse
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
    Did you not see the notice at the end of the reading list that sistersinhim left for you?
    While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
    Don't worry that we won't see your question, because, between us the staff read all new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

15. hempsteadjb

hempsteadjb junior member

I had a borrowed ice machine and liked it so much that I started pricing them on Amazon. I then went o EBAY, and found one that had only been used once according to seller for $79. I think I got a great deal! Also, I used a suggestion I saw on this forum to freeze water bottles and use instead of ice, lasts longer.

16. sistersinhim

I used frozen blocks that I made with Cool Whip, etc. bowls. They lasted even longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. hempsteadjb

hempsteadjb junior member

I need to try that! Maybe solo cups!

18. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

No brand names anyone? I'd love to know a couple of the brand names so I can take a look.. there are so many to choose from and it's confusing! :)

Also I don't mind the thread merge.. I didn't understand because I saw that someone else had a Recovery Thread and another thread with another title. So I thought that's the way to do it when i'm asking a specific question about a specific thing. No big deal.

But I would like my original title: Recovery Thread - Funkymuse

thanks much! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Tramadol! I was wondering if that will work as good as Oxycodone... as I'd like to slip away from Oxy but need something that will work. Any side effects with Tramadol? Or should I alternate or use them both at the same time as I'm weaning off the Oxy? Thanks much for your feedback on this! :)

20. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

So I grabbed this one: Ossur Cold Rush Device USA
    Looked as good as any and it's QUIET which is important for me and is continuous running. I splurged and got 1 day shipping!

• Like Like x 2