THR Oct 13 RTHR for accidents & wear & tear

lynly

Country
United States United States
It's taken 10 years to get here because the hip issue was hiding behind a back issue. As soon as the back was repaired Mar 11, 2020, and I was sufficiently recovered I went back to Pilates. On Aug 1 the hip began to give out such at by the end of Aug I had to use a cane, by mid-Sep I was on a walker, and by my Orthopod appt Sep 21, I was in a wheel chair. I did not know the cartilage in a hip could deteriorate so fast. I've got surgery Oct 13 and now off oxy and using onlyy Tylenol. Constant pain, sometimes very severe, disturbs all movement and especially sleep. I'm wondering if other pre-surgicals are having same problems and might have suggestions regarding help for better sleep.

Hello @lynly - and :welome:

Hang in there- you haven't long to go before your surgery.

Unfortunately, there really aren't any medications that kill the pain before surgery, but resting and icing your hip often help a lot.
Ice to control pain and swelling

Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can. It's a good idea to take daytime naps to make up for sleep lost at night.

Here is some information to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hey, there. You’ve come to the right place. I’m sure a mod will be along soon to officially welcome you and give you the incredibly helpful articles that will guide you through the process. In the meantime, I will share that my sleep, too, was severely hampered by the bad hip pain. I had one of those pillow top mattresses which was really hard to roll over on. I ended up purchasing a firmer mattress, which helped a bit. I spent years sitting on a heating pad every evening. It didn’t really do much but it was comforting. What actually DID help was sleeping on my side, with pillows between my legs. I think some folks here have used those body pillows. I used anti-inflammatory as well. All in all, it was postponing the inevitable and Im hoping that the surgery will ensure better sleep down the road. I look forward to following your journey.

And because your surgery isn't far away, here's a sneak preview of our recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Love the amount of information in the provided links and will work through them between now and 13th. They will keep my mind off the discomfort.

Thanks to Woodstockhip for the great suggestions. I'm lucky enough to have a very firm mattress and an adjustable bed, so that's good. Icing hip is a great idea and i'll do that. I do try to get up and walk somewhere with my walker every hour or so to theoretically keep things like heart and lungs functioning reasonably well, not to mention blood flow throughout. Otherwise I'm counting days, hours, minutes.

On another issue entirely. Does anyone here do Pilates? Up until my hip gave was doing mat and reformer Pilates for 3 years. I think that puts me in a good place for surgery and recovery but I'd love to know if anyone has had THR and returned to Pilates and what has been your post op experience. What is the best way to resume Pilates exercises?

Nothing really worked for me before surgery. I did use a heating pad on the hip and all around the leg as the pain extended into my lower back and down the thigh. I found that a softer mattress was easier for me than the firmer one so went to the spare room with the softer bed. Also pillows for support of the knee/hip once I found a position I could tolerate (only 1 position sort of worked).

I do not do Pilates but there are many here who have gone back once recovered but slowly and some with modifications at first.

@lynly hi! I took up barre 2 years after hip #2. I enjoy it immensely, and most of my "options" in exercises have to do with accommodating my wrists' current inability to bear my weight AND allow me to carry on with my career. I think some barre moves are related to Pilates?
In my first hip cohort, someone returned to yoga, and @Schaargi who's a couple/few months out from a hip plans to return to yoga.
I do say though that these brave new hips would naturally work better in a 38-yr-old body than in mine :snork:

Hi @lynly! (Thanks for the tag, @zauberflöte),

I'm at 16 weeks and just started yoga with a certified yoga sports physical therapist. She helps modify poses for me to help build up to regular yoga. Full disclosure- I had a surgery complication so I have additional issues from a typical hippy.

I have experience with Pilates, too, but haven't tried it yet. I think it would depend on a couple if things. First, do you have restrictions? My surgeon told me that a turnout was a big no-no, as was any extension of the leg backwards, so almost all Pilates was prohibited for me. That part depends on your surgeon and restrictions. The restrictions are to prevent dislocation.

The other factor is just common sense-- be gentle and work up to it slowly. Start with little or no resistance, and be super cautious with any movement to the side.

Good luck!!! I am hoping to get back to Pilates as soon as I find a studio!

@lynly
Thinking of you and hope to see you on the Healing side soon.
Bye bye Hip Pain:yes!:

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny:SUNsmile: (recovery) side when you are up to posting.

Sending good vibes and hoping for a speedy recovery for you! I'm a week behind you....so we'll have to muddle through this together!

Lots of people return to Pilates ... talk to your surgeon about this ... surgeons have different philosophies of how long you should wait and what postures or exercises you want to delay after surgery.

You sorta just have to pay attention to your body as you recover as well as follow your surgeon's guidance.

@lynly

Yes, you should be able to do Pilates after your TKR. If you can, find an instructor who has extra certification or training in working with people with restrictions. I can tell you that I've gone back to mat work after both my TKRs and THR and I'm looking forward to starting back up after my SI Joint Fusion in six weeks. You'll be back doing it before I can but I'd love to stay in touch and share our experiences.

Best of luck tomorrow @lynly
We’ll be looking forward to your first post on the Hip Recovery Forum once you’re resting comfortably at home. Wishing you all the best tomorrow and lots of comfort as you wait.
See you on the healing side soon! :wave:

Blessings for an uneventful surgery with a good, pain controlled recovery. The terrible joint pain suffering is almost over. So with you on this, especially as the anxiety might start seeping in, as well. Time to get your life back. Prayers and hugs. ❤️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks