THR Ocean’s second hip recovery

@Eman85 I don’t purposely count steps but they’re on my phone so I like a quick look. I have to walk with my autistic son because it’s part of his routine, we taught him to like the simple things in life.
Luckily the physio has an autistic family member and understands that I must keep my son calm by sticking to his routines.

That's great, I just found that walking too much kept leading to bad walking habits. Everyone should walk and appreciate the simple things and the joy of life.

I’m walking up to 10,000 steps a day without any canes or anything, it’s possible that I still have a slight limp sometimes but I’m not worried because it’s getting better
Wow, I don't think I've walked anything like 10,000 steps for 20 years or more! Something to aspire to perhaps but sadly the knackered ankle would need something done first. Hips are getting there and knees seem ok.
Well done you, keep going but remember to rest and recover too!

I recall that I had more pain with my second HR than my first. One of the nicest things for me after my second HR was knowing that after my second hip healed, I would not need any more surgeries that I know of. Well, no joint replacement surgeries. I am having cataract surgery on 3/22 and 4/5. I expect that will seen minor after having three joint replacements in less than a year. :heehee:

I recall that there was pain for a while with both of my HRs, but it goes away and not having pain from a hip that needs to be replaced is wonderful. I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery. You'll be in good shape for summer activities.

Onward and upward!

Hi @wander03 Hope your lens replacement goes well. I had mine done shortly after my first hip replacement and the results were close to miraculous! Able to read labels in shower bottles etc which was never possible before!

Thanks, @Newhip_Pol. Your message is very encouraging. Fortunately, I can see to read just about everything except very small print (with glasses). I question whether I will be able to read labels on bottles in the shower after the surgeries since I don't wear my glasses when I'm taking a shower. Last evening, when I was trying to read a note that a person was holding on television, I was unable to read the note, even on a 55" screen.

The astigmatism in my left eye has become more pronounced in the last few weeks, so I'm glad I'm having the surgeries. Dr. Rodriguez said it would be optimum to have my corneas scraped before the cataract surgeries, but that just having the cataracts removed will be an improvement. He said that the astigmatism is caused by the scar tissue on the corneas, so it will have to be corrected with glasses. He said that the left cornea has more scarring than the right. He detailed the procedure used in scraping the corneas. He said he would do both at the same time and that my eyes would hurt for about three days. Then it takes around three months for the eyes to heal before the cataracts can be removed. I am not a fan of pain, so I decided I will wait and have that done later if necessary. Dr. Rodriguez said that I will always have to wear glasses if I don't have my corneas scraped before the cataracts are removed. Since I think I prefer my face with glasses on, I'm ok with that. :egypdance:

I've worn glasses since I was 3 years old so opted to continue wearing them all the time after lens replacement but with a much reduced prescription. I was originally long sighted but had been wearing variofocals for years.
Standard NHS replacement lenses correct for middle to distant vision. After replacement, I could cope with distance, including driving (and read labels unless very small) without glasses but decided I was so used to them I would continue to wear them all the time.
Corneal scraping does not sound like fun at all. Think you are wise to wait.

Hello again, today is the one year anniversary of my second hip replacement. I’m doing well and I’m so grateful to have had my operations.

I still go to the gym to do the strengthening exercises that the physio gave me, there’s a nice pool there and sometimes I join in the aqua exercise classes which are great fun and very social.

I still do a lot of walking but walking seems to make my lower back sore, I still think that my right leg is slightly shorter and maybe that’s why my back hurts. If I don’t walk much for a day my back is fine.

All in all, I’m happy. I read the posts on here from time to time and I think of you all with affection.

Happy hip-anniversary! As a newbie it is nice to hear the updates! Thanks for sharing your update with us!

Ocean,
Great to hear from you and Happy One Year anniversary on Number 2 hip!
I find if I stand too long in one place, (like cooking and prepping a meal with lots of ingredients), my back gets a little sore. I had it all checked out in May, (MRI) and I have spinal stenosis nothing that uncommon for someone my age with jobs I've had that kept me on my feet for many hours a day.
We just returned from almost 2 weeks in Texas dogsitting my son's two dogs while him and my DIL took my grand daughters to their respective colleges and they have lovely pool and I did a lot of pool walking, just awesome and at 108 degrees one day it was a nice cool down!
Stay well and check in once in awhile!

:wave: happy one year, my friend.
So glad you came back and gave us a shout, @Ocean
I saw alot of improvements well into my 2nd year, so I hope your back issues fade!
Hope today is SWEET:flwrysmile:

Happy One Year Anniversary, Ocean!
Thanks for stopping by to share the good news. Your post will be an encouragement to those following behind you. May it only get better!
@Ocean

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562