THR Ocean’s second hip recovery

Ocean

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I’m starting the thread ready for later. I’m at the hospital in my room waiting, done all the paperwork.

I think I’m second on the list but that could change. See you all later.

Happy dance:dancy:.

I went down to theatre at 10 a.m., in recovery at 11.15 and back in my room at twelve. It’s 4.30. p.m. now and I’ve had soup and a sandwich.
I’m booked in for two nights, don’t get out of bed until tomorrow like last time. I’m glad it’s done and that I’m on the recovery side.

@Ocean! WOOHOO! It’s over! Well, the road to recovery, rehab, and a pain-free hip begins next with such promise! So good to hear you’ve eaten a bite, getting good pain meds and will regain some confidence tomorrow when you try out that new hip!
Good job! Blessed rest tonight and moving forward and remember to be kind to yourself!
:angel:

@Ocean Welcome to the other side again. You are now a member of the double hippie club! :yes!:. You know the drill!

I'll leave your guidelines here in case you need a refresher.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats! It's good to see you're on the healing side again, Ocean.
I hope your pain is well managed and you're sleeping soundly right now as its the middle of the night across the pond as I type. May your recovery be uneventful and easy.
Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
@Ocean

@Ocean :wave: its good to see you back here on the healing side! Hope everything has been going well today and that you're currently resting peacefully and relatively pain free.

Thank you all for your good wishes.
Yesterday morning was a whirl of blood tests, an X-ray and physio. By midday I was sat in the chair with pillows and snoozed all day apart from eating and bathroom visits. I slept all night too.

The pain is ok now and it mainly hurts when I move and seems more severe than the first but I know it will get better. Stair assessment later, then home. Yay!

The Consultant visited a couple of times. He said that this one wasn’t as bad as the first but definitely needed doing. I asked him about driving and he said when I feel safe, I asked whether it would do damage if I drove too quickly and he said ‘no, I bashed it in really hard with the hammer’, he’s so funny

I also asked him about the click in my left one and he said it’s hard scar tissue rubbing against the implant and that it will soften out.

Glad you are all done and dusted.
It'll be nice for you to get home so you can truly get comfy:ice:

Driving after a right THR usually takes longer than with a left since you need to move the foot quickly to the brakes if needed.
Many of us have had clicking and it usually disappears over time.

@Eman85, I drive a manual transmission car and the clutch on the left leg is requires a bit of effort. I drove after four weeks with the left but I’m prepared for it to be longer if necessary.

It’s been a week today since my second surgery and it’s been very different to the first. It was a lot more painful for the first few days and couldn’t move my leg at all myself. Also very swollen from my waist to my ankle.

Since Saturday things have become a bit easier so hopefully things will improve every day.

I have an appointment at the hospital this afternoon to remove the dressing and check the incision. I think I have dissolvable stitches again but this time the area is very sore and uncomfortable.

The hip feels strong though.

Sorry you had the major "log leg " trauma:sad: makes things difficult, for sure ....but I'm glad you feel are turning a corner.
All Temporary and Last one, friend.
Hope your appointment goes well and stay chilled when you get home:ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie