OATS -MACI OATS for a second time

Thank you for that information. I can see that Dr. Conte specializes in arthroscopic procedures and is not a hip or knee replacement surgeon. Before you commit to this second OATS procedure, I suggest you schedule a consultation with one of the surgeons at Rothman who does do joint replacements regularly. When I checked, there are doctors in New Jersey that seem to be relatively close to you. If you would like me to help you pick someone, let me know how far you are willing to drive. For example, a good choice for you might be Dr. Joseph Bogdan in Brick Township or Dr. Michael Harrer in Marlton, NJ. I didn't go through all the physicians at Rothman for other options, but will be happy to help you locate someone to talk with. You want to be sure you are making the correct decision in having this second OATS procedure and the only way to do that is to have all the information possible about your knee.

just a quick update.... I spoke with another Dr about having the oats again and they would agree with it as well.

I am down 30 pounds of fat and about 20-25 pounds overall. body is feeling good my knee has it moments some days I can move ok some days I can barley move enough to walk.....

I go for measurements to find the size donor that will be needed. they will use X-rays ( I have them this week) and my MRI from May..

I hope to only have to wait a 4-6 weeks this time as I waited just short of 3 months last time.

@fro60ol I really hate to see you going ahead with another OATS procedure that is almost doomed to fail.

As I said before, OATS procedures really only have a chance of success if your arthritis is in the very early stages. Yours is not. You said you have bone on bone and your mobility seems to be severely compromised. That indicates advanced osteoarthritis.

Please check with your insurance company. Never mind that other people have told you a knee replacement won't be covered. You need to know for sure, direct from your insurance. Explain that you've had one failed OATS procedure and one failed plug procedure already.

Before you commit to this planned surgery, please consult at least one surgeon (preferably two) who specializes in knee and hip replacements.34 isn't really too young for a knee replacement. It is too young to have a series of failed surgeries, though.
  • You are too young to be living your life in constant pain.
  • You are too young to have your mobility so badly compromised.
  • You are too young to be giving up the lifestyle you enjoy.
  • You are too young feel so old.
When you have a knee replacement should be decided only by the state of your knee, not by how old you are.

Thanks for the update. Congratulations on your weight loss. That's bound to help the functionality of your knee.

Best of luck to you as you go forward with a second OATS procedure. Each person must make their own decisions and I understand your desire to keep trying more conservative approaches to you arthritic knee.

Like Celle, I do hope you had a chance to at least talk with a replacement surgeon so you had as much information as possible before making your decision. Please continue to let us know how things are going for you.

i spoke to the Dr that did my first scope, the loose body removal. different group and he also said this would be the route to go....

thank you the weight loss has been tough as I am in pain most days but I figure I will be in pain anyway why not workout some and get the weight down...

will do I have my measurements today... hope we can find the right size donor quickly as I might have a career opportunity that I wouldn't want to pass up. i waited about 6/7 weeks last time so we will see.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to give this option a try, since you are considering a career change. As you know, the recovery from this procedure is not easy and takes the better part of a year. Please let us know how things go for you. We're here if you have questions or concerns.

spoke to my current Dr. wed afternoon, during the super high tech method of taking the measurements, they tape a penny to your leg, the x-rays showed that I had a handful of bone spurs on the other side of my left knee. he's very concerned about them as they were not there during my last x-ray ( April/May)

so I will be having a scope on sept 17 to clean up those spurs and to take video and pictures of the joint. with that added information we will make a decision on if we continue with the OATs again or not....

The bone spurs are a sign that your osteoarthritis is progressing. I hope your surgeons will reconsider doing the OATS and will refer you for a TKR.

Recovery from a TKR, although it's not easy, can be a little easier than from an OATS.

i had my scope on the the 17th so last week. he shaved down some spurs and trimmed a small tear in my meniscus. I spoke with him after the surgery and he said he was going to review the video and photos he took.... I know he said some other things but I was still a little loopy.... I see him on Tuesday 9/29/2020 to go over it all in detail.

will update after that appointment.

Glad you are making progress and your OS is doing a thorough evaluation. Good Luck next week.

a few days ago I started getting pain in my calf. I bumped into it and the pain really intensified. starting yesterday I started getting tingling into my foot.... I see the Dr today to go over the scope and to talk about the calf pain( I called yesterday and they didn't seem concerned about it)

How did your doctor visit go?

sorry for the delay

dr visit went well they took out my stitches and we went over the photos from the scope. they did think the pain in my calf was a blood clot so I went to the hospital right after meeting with them. after 5 hours in the ER it came back there was no clot so I was happy about that. the hospital thought it was just some post opp swelling that moved down from my knee to my calf.

I am going to go through and get the OATS re done..... I have a sent date of November 23 but that doesn't mean anything. I just puts me at the top of the donor list for the size I need so now its just a waiting game till I get the call the donor is available.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for the donor. As you know, the waiting is sometimes the most difficult part of the process to get a knee repaired. It was good news also that you didn't have a blood clot. Thanks for the update and good luck!

thank you the PA said is about a six week wait but that can be short or longer by 2 weeks either way... so now its just a waiting game and keeping my weight down. its harder to do that as I am in more pain now than what I was before the scope

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads