TKR Numbness knee replacement

The best place to read about this recovery is right here on Bonesmart. Read other members threads and check out some of the articles in the Bonesmart Library:

Here’s a link to the whole list of articles in the Bonesmart Library. Lots of topics there!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good book that helps you with the TKR journey once you have reached the 8 week mark?

Hi @Joshkylie , if you haven't already done so, search YouTube for TKR rehab - there are tons of them out there. That said, there are a lot of lousy clips, and a lot of good ones --- lousy/good being totally subjective, i.e., if the advice is pertinent to your condition, it might be worthwhile.

My morning routine, as I'm having my first cup of coffee, is to scour the joint replacement forums for stories, advice, etc. I find this a great way to shed my out-of-bed tight-as-hell knee funk and get on with the day.

@glidefloss omg, I was embarrassed to say how hard it was to get out of bed haha!
I knew this was the place to go for simple questions but wow you had me to a point!
I feel like I annoy my bf to no degree with the pain I feel especially at night and the morning.

@Joshkylie Take your boyfriend out to the shed & saw & drill on his knee & then ask him how he feels & how annoyed he is then. Do no harm, but take no :censored:. He needs to be supportive & compassionate about your pain & recovery. Please take care of yourself and don’t stay quiet because you don’t want to bother someone else.:console2:

I'd definitely look up some knee replacement exercises on YouTube! At 12 weeks I think you're save to add some gentle exercises straightening your hips and quads. But only if they don't cause you pain!! Mini squats. Wall squats. Lunges. Also add resistance bands to hip extensions. Bridges.

I can relate to having troubles getting out from bed and pain... My husband was an angel during my most recent recovery. For the first week I was unable to stand up on my own so he was helping up from the couch/bed/toilet all the time lol.

For the first week I was unable to stand up on my own so he was helping up from the couch/bed/toilet all the time lol.
I was like this, too, and my husband was such a big help to me, too.

Mini squats. Wall squats. Lunges. Also add resistance bands to hip extensions. Bridges.
These can be done way later, if like you said, they don’t cause pain, but I think 12 weeks is too early for them in the recovery of a knee replacement.

Hi @Joshkylie :wave:

I just wanted to chime in as another "younger" TKR person. I had my first TKR when I was 42, almost 43. I was lucky my surgeon would do it and he never said I was too young. He wanted me to get back into living my life without pain and I did for many years until my left knee finally gave out and I had to have it done this last year. Remember, this recovery is not linear, it's almost always like a roller coaster of ups and downs. You will have setbacks and will probably end up in the ODIC (Over-Did It Club) just like the rest of us. Don't worry, you have just done more than your baby knee is capable of doing and it's telling you so. Your knee (or as @hawk2go and I like to call it, The Knee) is the boss right now and you have to listen and obey. Good luck on your continued recovery!

On the scar itself do the same circular motion up and down, first with clockwise circular motion and then anti-clockwise circular motion.
Any info on why the direction of the circular massage is clockwise first?
I feel like I annoy my bf to no degree with the pain I feel especially at night and the morning.
For this reason, I have been in my Knee Cave. I occasionally sleep in our bed now but still grunt and groan when I shift in the middle of the night, so have found myself back in the Bat, I mean Knee Cave. It's getting better and easier each week.

As for getting out of bed, I do the 5s from another Bonesmartie. Before I get out of bed, I do 5 ankle pumps, 5 quad sets, 5 heel slides, 5 leg lifts and 5 glute sets. This helps wake the leg up from being stuck in position overnight and also allows me to check the knee-o-meter to see I can load the day with activities or if it will be a day of rest. These days there are way more of the former.

@hawk2go I like your suggested activities before getting out of the bed. I have started doing some similar ones since I'm preparing also for the LTKR on 2/2 it seems to help in the morning to not be so stiff.

Hey everyone, long time!
It’s been exactly a years since I had my knee replacement and for the last few days my foot has went numb and unable to feel it.
I ran in a spot for literally an hour until I started getting sensation again.
Anyone had this issue?

You should ask your doctor about it. I wouldn’t think your knee replacement would suddenly cause this, a year later, so it’s definitely worth asking about. Let us know what you find out.

Has everything else with your knee been going well?

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

I had numbness right away from my last knee surgery then maybe a year later had numbness in my foot. But this ended up being a pinched nerve in my back. Still trying to get this fixed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back