ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

OATS nsirotta's Allograft Recovery

nsirotta

Country
United States United States
Hello, all. It's been a while since I've posted here, but wanted to update everyone on my progress.

I was able to finally connect with a surgeon here in Portland (Dr. Dennis Crawford) who specializes in osteocondral defects, and performs 50-75 allograft transfer surgeries per year. In fact, the donor bank sets 2 grafts aside for him every month since he performs so many of these procedures. He has published various reports and journals on the procedure, and is considered by many to be one of the top surgeons in the country for allograft transfer surgery.

He looked over all my imaging and history with failed knee scopes, and determined that I am the perfect candidate for allograft transfer surgery on both knees, given that the defects are isolated to the lateral femoral condyles and the rest of my knees are healthy.

I am now 1 week removed from the allograft transfer surgery on my left knee. Swelling and pain have diminished considerably, and I'm able to do at-home PT exercises (leg lifts, knee slides, etc) without a great deal of discomfort (each day gets easier). Dr. Crawford also advised me to be partial weight-bearing on the surgical knee to avoid atrophy and maintain strength, which was exciting to hear given all my research on OATS and similar procedures (6-8 weeks non-weight bearing). I go in for my post-op in 6 days, and am projected to be walking in a limited capacity at about 2-3 weeks out.

I will keep everyone updated on progress, but I am very optimistic about the results thus far.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello again @nsirotta - and :welome: tp recovery.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee surgery, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I've copied your post from the pre-op area, to start a recovery thread for you. Please continue to post updates on this thread from now on.

Although you haven't had a knee replacement, much of your recovery is going to be very similar, so I'll give you our recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@nsirotta well done on finding a surgeon to work with you. I don't think we have had any success stories from members who have had allograft transfer surgery. I look forward to your updates!

OP
OP
N

nsirotta

Country
Surgery date: 10/22/20

Last edited by a moderator:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thank you for your surgery date. I've completed your signature and added your name to the October Feisties surgery group.

OP
OP
N

nsirotta

Country
Recovery update:

I am now about 2.5 weeks post op, and had my first physical therapy session last Wednesday. The doc + PT advisors say I am healing well and am on track for a successful recovery. They are encouraging me to put weight on the knee as tolerated to help blood flow and promote integration of the donor cartilage. I've also been permitted to stop using the knee brace, and to go down to one crutch as long as pain/discomfort allows. I am on an at-home exercise regimen as well, which I've been doing 3 times per day, and icing 3-5 times per day with the leg elevated.

Each day gets a little bit easier and less painful to walk, and I'm able to sleep comfortably again (I'm a stomach/side sleeper). As soon as I'm able to walk without a limp, I'll be permitted to stop using the crutches altogether. I anticipate this will likely be in about another week-10 days, but we'll have to see once I get to that point. I have also been given the green light to drive, mostly because the surgery was done on my left knee.

So far the process has been positive and overall very promising. I feel that I am in good hands, and that things are progressing in a good direction. Will update again in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doddy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom