Now the lower back pain!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoggie

I had never thought of a connection until I heard another lady in PT say she was having this problem also.

I have had lumbar problems and had it pretty well controlled by injections, but since I had the spinal for my TKR, it has been giving me fits. Could the spinal have something to do with this constant pain I am having. I am 8 weeks out today and the knee is doing great.

Also, my PT said that after 4 weeks I no longer needed to come to "formal" PT with her....how long should I do my at home exercises? Back pain is preventing me from doing any walking, but try to do leg lifts, sheet slides, etc. at least once a day. My ROM was 118-120 at last measurement and hope I am not regressing any.

THANKS,

Phoggie, you shouldn't regress at all. You are doing the right thing by continuing what exercise you can. The ROM will still be there. Jo will have to tell you if there could be any connection between your new back pain and the spinal, though....I don't know.

Hi Phoggie:dogkiss:

Is your new back pain in the lower back, often in the muscle/tendons on one side at hip level?

It could be your sacro-illiacs complaining because they aren't used to your new walking gait. It's amazing how one change causes another reaction.

That's one possible complication of spinal anaesthesia. However, since you had back pain prior to the op, I'd rather think it has just flared up again. Could be connected with the knee op, maybe not. One does get other things happen that are nothing to do with the surgery you've had.
Perhaps you should see the doctor who treated you for the back pain. You could also consider seeing a chiropractor.

As for how long to do the PT on your own - as long as you want! There's no rules about it.

I have spinal stenosis, as well as buldging disks and a cyst....so I have had problems with my back before, but it seems odd that it would come back after surgery when I had been getting along so well.
Thanks
PS...Does anyone know if there is a "back" forum like this one for joints?

Well, it's not beyond reason that the process of having your knee done and the recovery has set it off again. Once you've got a back, you've always got a back. So as I said before, that's a distinct possibility.

You could try The Physio Forum which, though it's UK based is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom