Now or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conquerit!

Country
United States United States
Hi all. I know this question is asked a lot, but just joining the forum and would like lots of opinions. I'm a 44 guy who, up to about 8 months ago, was very active until I thought I pulled my hip flexor in a 12k (common story I've read). I'm going to need THR soon with about 20% joint left due to OA. It's crazy how quickly things seem to be getting worse, and after a shot about a month ago that didn't work, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get it done now. My Ortho says let's prolong as long as possible, but to what end? How much do I let my health, weight, fitness, activity level suffer and why? I have an awesome 5 year old boy and have always seen myself as "that dad" that'll be riding dirt bikes and running marathons with him when I'm in my 50s!? Thoughts?

I was told to wait as well, the reason I was given, is I would have to have them done again at some point. but my thought now, is I'm not guaranteed tomorrow let alone another 20 yrs. my quality of life sucks due to extremely limited mobility I have, not to mention the constant pain. I see my surgeon tuesday. my suggestion is don't wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Honestly the opinions you'll get from people on this forum won't vary too much on this matter. Most people will say to just get it done now so you can get your life back. If your mobility and ability to do things you love are significantly impacted by your hip, you should get the surgery now. My surgeon told me to wait as long as possible too. After a few months I went back and told him that I wasn't able to live my life as I wanted to and was in a lot of pain. He agreed to move forward with the surgery. I'm younger than you.

It is a very individually specific question. One of the Ortho's that I saw said when you have the opportunity to improve your quality of life with the surgery that is the time to get it done. Different Drs will offer different advice so it is good to see multiple Drs. The time from when surgery was first recommended to me until the date of my surgery will end up at about 18 months. Part of that was that I just wasn't ready to take on the surgery challenge nor understood well enough what direction I wanted to go (with respect to Surgery). I needed more time to process and investigate. There may be some things that you can do that will extend your decision - I recommend Yoga also foam rolling has helped me quite a bit.

As others have said, if there's no good reason to wait, why do it? My OA progressed *very* quickly -- like you, I went from very active (I played roller derby until ~18 months ago) to basically bedridden in less than a year -- and if I'd known then how bad it would be today, I would've done everything in my power to have THR sooner.

Also, welcome to BoneSmart. I'm new-ish here myself but have found this a very friendly, helpful, supportive community!

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get it done now. My Ortho says let's prolong as long as possible, but to what end?
General consensus agreed! There are some surgeons who still think in old money - and still tell patients they will need a new hip every 10-15 years! When I was a girl, we never ever did a hip replacement on anybody a day under 70. If you were 69 but had a birthday next month - fine, come back then! Yes, some surgeons just haven't moved on from that. And not just old surgeons!

But nowadays it's different. I have some reading for you
Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years
67½ year old - the THRs, not the patient!

It's all in there - I need say no more! Other than this: if this surgeon is a bit of a dinosaur, search around until you find one who's actually in the 21st century!

@conquerit! I am 7 weeks post-op for hip #1. My pain changed dramatically over 6 months. It was from bilateral dysplasia, so it had been problematic through ought my 30's. . It is a hard decision, but I had trouble completing a shopping trip....it was my time.

Because of my pain relief from #1, I am accelerating my schedule for #2. (Summer). I am not waiting for it to reach that acutely painful point.....my kids were ok. They are now my reason to do it, and not my excuse to wait. (42 yrs old with a 2&4 yr old kids) I want to get to the point that I am growing stronger and doing more each week.

PS - If you aren't icing yet, start before surgery. It is another layer of relief from inflammation.

@conquerit! - I kept a pain diary. It's enormously revealing about just how quickly things progress. We 'almost' come to live with pain being part of our everyday life and forget what 'normal' felt like. Our fitness, weight and mobility all suffer as a result - and it gets worse. It just isn't worth putting it off. OK so we'll have a bit of inconvenience for a patch while we get up to speed again, but balance that with being free of pain and regaining the sweet smell of freedom again!

It seems to me that you are having exactly the same thoughts as I am. After reading many of the threads on this site, I wonder if my hip is really that bad that and if this is the time to go through this operation. Well, thankfully, I am still quite mobile but my hip is restricting my day-to-day life seriously. My OS said that if the question is when and not if, then why not do the surgery when you are still young and will be able to enjoy the quality of life it will give you.

@conquerit! I waited years for my LTHR - and the joint finally collapsed. Believe me, you don't want to go there! The longer you wait the more complex the recovery. Recovery from my LTHR took months (12+). Had my RTHR as soon as I started to see symptoms. I was back to work from home at 4 weeks out and full time work at 6 weeks.

Go for it! Life is too short to live in pain.

I was told by more than one person that you know when it's time once the pain is unbearable and yes the hip may have to be re-done at some point but with new technology and depending upon what materials your orthopedic surgeon uses, it could last a very long time. I had my right hip replaced on October 27, 2014 and was recently in to see my orthopedic surgeon because it's time for my left hip to be done. The x-ray showed that my right hip looked very good at over a year, even the surgeon commented that the new hip showed no wear and I am a heavy man I weigh over 300 lbs. So I say to you do the surgery, research the materials used and which ones last longer and are better. My hip consists of the shaft which is titanium, the ball ceramic, the pelvic insert is tantalum and the insert is some type of polyurethane or plastic (g7 biomet) if that helps. Both of my hips are bad but once I had the right one done, that side has been great, it was like I never had the pain before so you will notice immediately what a difference it makes in your life. I say do it and enjoy your son because I'm only 53 and not being able to be active has cost me the chance to loose the weight I put on due to quitting smoking and do the things I enjoy.

I echo the general consensus of members... why wait? OA is not something that will correct itself, it will just get worse. I'm a 40 year old active person with two kids who are rapidly getting to the age where they will 1) Not want to hang out with Dad anymore, and 2) be leaving the house for college/work/life... I don't intend to miss out on the time I have left with them because my hip hurts too much to play basketball, or go skating, or for a bike ride with them.

I put off doing anything for too long and I definitely regret it everyday. Finally realized I was missing out on my girls growing up. My doctor said something that clicked..."You have to decide what is acceptable for you to live your life." What I had done for years was no longer acceptable to me.

For various reasons I had to wait 9 months for surgery. My hip got rapidly worse during that time, can't sleep in a bed, can't walk more than 100 ft at a time, can't play with the kids. Don't wait until you get to that point. 3 weeks until surgery and I can't wait.

PS - If you aren't icing yet, start before surgery. It is another layer of relief from inflammation.

Interesting, I had not heard that before ... and I am scheduled for Surgery this Friday ...
I am hearing different view points on Bilateral vs Unilateral ... IMHO, I want to go thru 1 recovery and 1 major life disruption, vs twice, So I have elected to deal with a harder 1st 2 weeks of recovery due to Bi-lateral vs Unilateral THR.

Back to the icing, so what should I be doing leading up to my Surgery this Friday in terms of icing, and recommended time frames, etc ?

Icing pre-op may or may not help. Unfortunately there are no meds that address pre-op bone on bone pain. Try icing as you will be doing post op and see if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker