Now it's the Hip

Wow, if it's not one thing, it's another. My blood pressure has gone nuts and had to go to my GP today. Last month she changed my BP medicine because my sodium levels was lower, now it's ok but the my blood pressure, on the new medication, has gone high.:bawl:She put me back on the other one again. I have to watch my fluid intake and go see her again the first of October. She did say the Naproxin could cause it to elevate. It feels like a merry go round right now.

I know its easy for me to say, now that I'm on the other side....but I do hope stress about your surgery has not contributed to your BP.
I'm sorry that you've got this other issue to get under control, I'll be sending all the best your way for no delays!:console2:

I really wish my medication hadn't been changed to start with. The one she switched me to had no diuretic in it, I was on the one that does have it. My blood pressure was fine but because my sodium levels was lower, she changed the med. If she had told me to cut down on the coffee, tea, and water, I would have done that that. Taking so much Naproxen for this hip pain has played a big part as well. Not getting exercise and this stress with the hip, no wonder our BP goes up. Thank you @Mojo333, much appreciated.

Aww. sorry to read this @MEPil. They'll get it ironed out. I can see why you wish they'd just left well enough alone. Hang tough, friend!

Thank you @CricketHip, sure hope so. Don't want anything to delay this surgery. These hip situations are enough to deal with for all of us aside from adding other problems.

A belated happy One Year Anniversary on your knee @MEPil

It takes about three hours in the morning before I'm ready to get dressed for the day.

I'm so sorry. Just goes to show how painful and debilitating it can be in the weeks leading up to surgery.
I hope the next month flies for you. Sending a hug and wishing you comfort. :console2:

@MEPil if you read my thread I went through a scare from my bp at preop testing a week ago . They put me on a calcium channel blocker like Norvasec, light dose and I changed my eating and meds.I was on meloxicam and stopped it a week early and cut back on the amount of tylenol. Same moving potpourri of pain. Hang in there, your surgery is not too far off.The main thing is to focus on your personal wellness and get the bp under control before preop testing. Have you tried any pain patches?

@Steelmanpa I haven't tried the pain patch, but should. My OS called this morning and I go October 8 for pre surgery blood work and class. My next appointment is at my OS office for pre check with my OS so everything is moving now. I am keeping track of my BP at home. It has gone down some so praying it will get straighted out now. It's hard to deal with this pain and stiffness and sure doesn't help our BP. Did the pain patch affect your BP?

@Layla thank you. It is moving forward now, my OS called with my appointments this morning, praying my BP gets straightened out now before my first pre-op appointment.

:hi: @MEPil
Good to hear things are moving along. I'll send up a prayer with you that your BP stabilizes and your pain and stiffness is manageable.
Wishing you a peaceful Thursday!

@MEPil I personally dont seem to have any issues with the OTC pain patches aside from some irritation from long term use. I add some different types of medical tape to them as I use them when sleeping aside from the day for the knee. The research I have done indicates they are more likely to cause low blood pressure. Always good to check with whoever is prescribing your meds about these as there are some minor side effects listed online, and I am not qualified except to report on my experiences. Like everyone else in your thread, we all wish you well, stabilizing BP and not feeling as much pain...each day is one day closer to getting life back!

:praying: Im praying all is a go!
Bye Bye Hip Pain:yahoo:

@Steemanpa, thanks for the info, will check into this. I've been using Naproxen 1 every 12 hrs then if need be, a Tylenol about 6 hrs after the first Naproxen but it doesn't help get rid of pain totally. I dread that last week before surgery having to stop the Naproxen. From what I've read, Tylenol is ok but will ask when I see Dr Licini before surgery.
How are you feeling by now?

Would it be a benefit to get a wedge pillow for after surgery. I have been trying to get together everything I may need to help in after the surgery is over?

@MEPil I am having a lot of extra pain now going off the anti inflammatory meds. My bp is good, and my wife is doing a little more to help me as she sees me in greater pain. Tylenol does not seem to be a culprit with bp now, I cut back from 3000 mg per day to 1500 or 2000. I think the pillow is a good idea for between the knees, not qualified to comment on anywhere else. I use one to sleep now and certain it will get post op use

@Steelmanpa , sure hate your pain level is still high. I'm giving Tylenol a try without the Naproxen today, we'll see how it goes.
I guess I need to ask the OS what he wants for me. I sleep on my good side with a pillow between knees, only way for me right now.
I did order an Ortho pillow from Amazon for our chairs and got it yesterday. It's really nice, helps put knees below hips. I'm using it and helps get up from chair with less strain on hips.
Thank you for all your help, appreciate it so much. Sure hope your pain goes down, very stressful.

Would it be a benefit to get a wedge pillow for after surgery. I have been trying to get together everything I may need to help in after the surgery is over?

I picked up a wedge pillow from Costco online. I've tried to use it under my knees with the hope that it would help with hip pain while sleeping. In my case it doesn't help. I'll end up using it to prop myself up in bed after surgery.

I'm thinking about getting a recliner but having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money for something I'll only use for a few months.

Best wishes for your surgery!

@BruceH, I saw one on Amazon that had very good reviews and some reviews were for Hip Replacement Surgery, I am considering it.
We have recliners already so hoping it will be want I will need. I spend a lot of time in it now with the heating pad, helps a lot. Pain seems to be a constant companion with this hip.
Have you tried sleeping on you good side with a pillow between your knees? Only way I can sleep for now.
The very best for you.

I'm thinking about getting a recliner but having a hard time convincing myself to spend the money for something I'll only use for a few months.
@BruceH maybe you've seen me post this elsewhere but it bears repeating, I was able to rent a lift recliner from my local home medical supply store. It was totally worth it for that first month and then they came and carried it away.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft