Now it's the Hip

@Steelmanpa, I sure don't want to risk getting sick, not good for any of us before or after surgery. Been hearing some people I know have colds now:sick: it's bad enough if you don't have anyother problems.
It's pre op prep now for home and items to help myself be more independent. I don't want to wear my husband out, he's doing enough now.

Another step toward
my hip replacement completed. Just got home from getting the tooth extraction at the Oral Surgeon. He was so nice, very easy on my extraction. I'm still numb, so will see how I feel after it wears off.
Planning to rest most of day.
Hope everyone is having a good day.

Good news! One more thing out of the way to your THR. I'm curious. did your oral surgeon place you on antibiotics? I think that's what they do, it seems.
Have a great weekend @MEPil :flwrysmile:

Yes, I took 4 Clindamycin 150mg before my appointment on Tuesday for the teeth cleaning and 4 again before the extraction on Friday. My OS told me before any procedure I am to take an Antibiotic. My dentist called it in to the pharmacy. I take them one hour before the procedure.
Thank you, enjoy your weekend too.

I completely forgot about your other replacements, of course you did a pre med protocol. I was just curious whether you would be on antibiotics for a while just for the tooth. Not that I thought you needed to be, I was just curious.
Enjoy the weekend, I think you've earned it! :SUNsmile:

Thank you Carol, the gum has been sore for the past couple days but nothing major and I rinsing with warm salt water 4-5 times a day like the dentist said to do. Glad this is out of the way, it should be pretty well healed before the hip replacement.
Today has been a more painful day with the hip, walking, with my cane, hasn't been easy either. I've used the heating pad a lot.

Poor @MEPil
Hip pain is so exhausting.
I lived on a heating pad the last six months before surgery.
Hugs and sympathy...
Hang on friend...

@Mojo333 you are so right, this pain and the disability that goes with it all, is absolutely wearing me out. I am sitting here with the heating pad right now. Ice isn't helping, heating pad gives some relaxing comfort, seems to work at least for some relief. My husband wanted to take me to lunch so we went, hard to walk now even with the cane, couldn't sit comfortable at in the padded booth. Food was good but so glad to get home and get my heating pad on my hip and leg.
It must have been terrible for you.

Today September 18, is my 1 year anniversary from having my right tkr. I never dreamed that this year I would be looking forward to my right thr. Good thing I didn't know I guess.:cry:

Thank you @CricketHip, sure hope after the the, they will start working together. The hip is really making the knee sore even though the knee is working good.

Preop hip pain was terrible.
Time drags especially the nights when there is no way to get comfortable. Much sympathy from me!
You will be able to dress up like a hip replacement patient for Halloween.
Come on Oct 29...

:heehee: yes @Mojo333 , that would be a fun costume.
Nightime trying to get comfortable is extremely rough and when I get up the pain and stiffness is horrible. Pain just keeps moving around to different places.
It is so frustrating not to be able to do things that need to be done around the house too. I've been trying to comfort myself by telling myself next summer I will be able to do some yard work and some projects in the house. My sympathy goes out to all of us who have to go through this hip thing. Thank you all for helping me go through this.

I've told this story a few times on the forum but...one particularly long week with sleepless nights in the winter...I was wearing an adult version of a blanket sleeper pj...with the feet in them...and my husband awoke to me with a roll of velcro tape trying to figure out if i could stick myself to the wall so I might be able to sleep standing up.:dubious:
No joke!
I was going to velcro a travel pillow in the corner and put a stopper at my feet.
Now that IS desperate.
I also felt that after so much chronic pain, I had a body wide inflammation going on.
The great news...it can be fixed:yes!:
Hang in there and get out for distraction.
The more focus I put on my horrible hips the worse they felt.

Hugs xxx

Oh my goodness bless your heart,I have never thought of that but can see how desperate you were, I'm there. It is miserable. Thank you for sharing that.
Getting out some does help even if the moment I get home, it's the recliner and heating pad. It takes about three hours in the morning before I'm ready to get dressed for the day.
Did you do any kind of presurgery therapy? I've tried to still do some that I did in therapy but it's not helping at all.

My surgeon was fairly blunt about PT and pain meds not having much effect on my situation.
I didn't see the point of taking meds that weren't helping and couldn't even knock me out so I could sleep.
PT definitely wasn't helpful...it was really just doing the best I could with daily activity as it sounds like you have been doing.
I tried anti inflammatory diets, old wives tales treatments, homeopathic treatments, drugs, and meditations.
Wish I could say any of it helped much.
Made the prospect of getting both hips replaced simultaneously way easier to accept.
Now, I feel decades younger and healthier.

I have been taking Naproxen and Tylenol but not doing much for pain at this point. I tried to do some exercises this morning PT gave me to do, now back to my recliner and heat pad. It's really rough trying to put weight on the hip today and my knee hurts. It moves around from day to day but always there. I'm not sold on PT doing much to help when we get to this point just seems to aggravate it all.:sad:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88