Now it's the Hip

MEPil

senior
Country
United States United States
Haven't been on here for awhile. Last September, I had a tkr and found so much help and great information from everyone, now I'm back with a new challenge. My right hip has gone bad. It started giving me terrible pain, so when I went for my knee check up they did full x Ray's of my hip as well, I was told it's bad. I decided on a shot at the Surgery Center and it helped for a few weeks, then Bursitis developed and I got a shot for that, which helped. I am now in Therapy and not getting very far. Guess it's time to set up surgery with my OS. I'm nervous, scared, and not looking forward to it. Sure could use some encouragement. Just want to start feeling good again. Thanks everyone, reading a lot of posts on here.

Hi, I am new to the forum as of a few weeks back. Its a 3 month lead time after any hip injections for THR to avoid post op infection risk... The therapy did me more harm than good. I believe in PT in the right circumstances. Dont allow yourself to be pushed as I was. You have to live in that body till surgery and beyond!

Here is what I know thats positive... most doctors think you are in the perfect age group for THR as you will likely not wear it out during your lifetime. Hopefully you will be able to have the anterior procedure which does not cut muscle and results in a easier return to life than the other procedure. As always find an experienced surgeon in the procedure. This forum is a fantastic place for information and support as you know. These surgeries are life altering in a positive fashion. The folks here are helping me to look forward to being free of all the pain and life limitations. Preparation and a positive informed outlook are key, as you have probably seen from your TKR. Hips are easier than knees...I can't wait to get back to everything I am missing including sleeping! Best wishes for you on your upcoming journey!

Hi, I have only been here a few weeks, too. Hips are easier than knees, as people who can be more articulate about why, will tell you. You are a very good age for a hip replacement, which is another positive thing. It looks like your knee replacement has served you well for 10 years. In the years since, the medical field has gotten better at pain management, and have found a variety of ways to approach hip replacement. It seems to me, with all the helpful hints on this forum, you should start to feel better prepared for this decision. It’s a decision we all try to make and prepare carefully for, because however limited we have become, it has brought us to this place.

Thank you both so much. After having both knees replaced, my left one ten years ago and my right one just last September 18, 2018, I was hoping my life was going to get more normal again. I will have a lot of questions for my surgeon. I am going to call him Monday. He is very experienced and did the surgery on my knee replacement last September. His assistant did tell me knee replacement is easier to go through than the knee surgery. I am going to read a lot of posts here.
I wish you both the best in your situations too.

I meant to say, my Doctor's assistant told the Hip replacement is easier to go through.

@MEPil Welcome back to BoneSmart! Having never had a knee replaced I can't say if that recovery is more difficult. But I can confirm THR is life changing surgery. I've had both hips done and my only lifelong restrictions are no bungee jumping or parachuting. Since I am terrified of heights - I have no restrictions! :heehee:

Stick with us here on the hip side. We are with you all the way!

I am afraid of height too and jumping was forgotten years ago so hopefully, my life will be better after this hip is taken care of. Thank you so much for the encouragement.
My first knee replacement was a breeze compared to this last one but with the hip involvement, it's probably had a lot to do with it.

I now have had several tell me the hip replacement is easier. That is very encouraging. This hip pain is driving me back to the surgery table. I am taking Naproxen 1 every 12 hours but helps only a little. Using my cane, still horrible limp. Sitting too long isn't good, makes me stiff and hard to take first few steps getting up. Going to bed at night it's hard to find a comfortable position for awhile.

I know how you feel. I had my knees done in 2013 and thought I was done and in good shape till I had to have my left hip replaced in 2017 and now the right will be replaced in Nov. I had great recoveries with my knees and hip. I did find the hip easier as you are not working on as much bend and motion. What I found that my hips are actually more painful pre surgery than my knees. The knees hurt with using them and my silly hips hurt more with use but also with sitting or laying down and affect my sleep or lack of sleep more.

I was very excited to have the pain stop after the first hip and got on with living and never even thought about my hip being replaced. Right now cannot wait to have the other done. The one suggestion I would make is to also take Tylenol regularly with the anti inflammatory. I take Tylenol arthritis 1300mg 3x/day as well as the Celebrex I am on for my thumbs. It does not get rid of the pain but does decrease it a tad (every little bit helps while waiting for surgery)

As you already know bonesmart is a great place for information and support. Check out the list of questions people have had for their OS prior to surgery and what approaches and limitations you will have during recovery. Each OS has a slightly different protocol at times just so you know how to prepare yourself and your house.

Yes, you are going through the phase where you cannot get comfortable no matter what position. I have referred pain in the knee and shin from this and am a pinwheel at night...Medications are a personal thing with you and your doc and your body. NSAID drugs run the risk of aggravating or causing digestive tract issues, so please take with food if you are not using omeprazole like so many do. I have tried some hot baths to soak the hip and some people are icing, some are doing a hot cold regimen ( everyone is different and requires experimentation to see what works) Maybe heating pads. Also I have been bulk buying Lidocaine patches and cutting them as suggested by another member here, along with wider surgical tape to keep them on..It is not a one size fits all in terms of coping, but there are a lot of suggestions made in my thread by others as well..You are not alone in this!

The referred pain is going into my knee and making it sore. I have used ice and have been using my heating pad. Not much at this point seems to help get rid of the pain, it's always there, at times worse than other times. Are you planning a replacement soon?

I am in the same situation, had a partial left knee replacement in 2017 and now find my left hip is bad. I am miserable, taking lots of ibuprofen and started on Celebrex after the cortisone shot gave me less than two weeks of relief, I have an appointment this Wednesday, I am not looking forward to another surgery but walking, sleeping and working are getting very difficult. Hang in there

I wish you the very best. Please let me know what you decide. The pain and disability is just too much to deal with, trying to work would be a nightmare. I did try Meloxicam but didn't help me at all so am just using over the counter Naproxen but it's not very good for very long. The shot I got in the groin lasted about four or five weeks. I also had to get a Bursitis shot in the outside of the hip for that. Just so much to deal with, I'm more ready to have the surgery and hopefully start having a more normal life.

Hi @MEPil and welcome to the hippie's side of Bonesmart! I'm not so sure you're happy to be here but I'm sure you know that it will be helpful and hopefully fun at times.
I noticed you wrote about the hip causing knee pain. I had quite a bit of that with my left hip, so much so that I was sure my knee was in worse shape than the hip, I think you will find a good bit of relief after you attend to that hip. Do you have any ideas of when you can schedule for the THR?
I'm sorry you need another replacement, I think that's all of our fears.. but at least we know there's improvement to be had and like you said, to start living a more normal life. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Yes, with the pain radiating to my knee, it has been causing concern my knee is having problems, it's not been a year yet since it was replaced but the bend and extension are very good and it has to be radiating pain from hip. I have three more sessions in PT and she says my knee is doing great. I plan to call my OS tomorrow to get an appointment to go see him. I'm ready to get this over with. It wears us down, as we all know. The therapy has helped gain some strength but that's about all it's done at this point. Will let everyone know what I find out. Hope I can get in to see him in the next few days.

:wave: and welcome to the hip side of Bonesmart :welome:

Bad Hips can make your Whole Body hurt:hairpulling:
Hope you get a date soon...
Amazing surgery with amazing results for me.:happydance:

Hi there!!!

I’m the opposite way round to you... I’ve had two THR’s & now booked in October for TKR.

I’m 5 months out from 2nd THR & can tell you it’s fabulous... from day one it’s felt like my own & little pain after the first post surgery weeks.

Unfortunately the hip pain is worse pre op... it’s there all the time... sitting.. standing.. trying to sleep... sitting down... nothing helps... except a THR..

Everybody says knees are worse than hips so you’ve had the worst!

Hoping it’s a breeze for you...
Meanwhile.. I’m dreading my TKR..[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you the very best with your upcoming tkr. This last one I had done in September 2018, was more of a challenge than my first tkr 10+ years ago, being younger and no hip problems sure made a difference. You should do great having your hip surgeries out of the way now. I know you will be happy to get it out of the way.
The knee replacement sections on here will help you so much. I wish I had found this sight before I had my last knee replacement, it would have helped a lot. I'm thankful for everyone here.

Hi MEPil,
A few things have helped me with referred knee pain from the hip, but check with your doctor to see if it okay with him/her.
1. Salonpas 4% lidocaine patch, cut into strips to cover the pain areas, secured with cloth medical tape, because over the 10-12 hours it does tend to start peeling.
2. Icy Hot spray, if it is just one little area on my knee that day.
3. Prescription diclofenac sodium topical gel, 1% IF I have not used an NSAID that day. You can’t do both.
4. Prescription 5% lidocaine patches, which are much cheaper than buying them over the counter, however Medicare does not cover it unless a pain doctor writes an appeal and you get approved. Regular private insurance may cover it without the need for an appeal.
Hope this may help you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member