Now it's luvsibes' shoulders

luvsibes

senior
Country
United States United States
I was just signing back on to Bonesmart after 3 years post left THR as I am being challenged with shoulder and low back pain. The shoulder issue began before the hip replacement and I assumed it was because I was sleeping on the awkward side to keep pressure off my hip. Years pass and both shoulders and arms still ache and can keep me awake. Not sure what's going on. I use wrist braces and arm/shoulder exercises but my hands are asleep and the arm/shoulder can ache all day. So, I'm ready to explore what's going on. You asked the question I came on for! I do walk a husky and periodically am jerked although I use a waist belt. The avatar pic is my first solo walk after THR recovery! I will follow @Freedom's thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
@luvsibes
I use wrist braces and arm/shoulder exercises but my hands are asleep and the arm/shoulder can ache all day
It is time for you to see and orthopedist who specializes in shoulders, sounds like you have multiple issues with your arms. There are several areas of your shoulders and arms that can cause the arms to ache and fall asleep.
I am in non surgical recovery from Carpal Tunnel, there were multiple areas involved, my wrist, the pronator teres just below my elbow, the pec minor, the scalene muscles in my neck, and the cervical spine.

A conservative approach may be able to help you, but first get your shoulder and arms checked out.

AAOS shoulder information

Your post has been moved to a new thread of you own, Freedom has been tagged so she will see your thread and be able to respond.
Good Luck in your search for answers.
Chris

Your post has been moved to a new thread of you own, Freedom has been tagged so she will see your thread and be able to respond.
Good Luck in your search for answers.
Chris
Oh Chris, you had me going! I received an email message of luvsibes' post. Clicked through to MY thread and . . . nothing. What? Back to my Inbox, click again and . . . nothing. What the heck?! I had to click on luvsibes' profile, then found what you did. Ha haaaa. Too much for a SUNDAY morning! Nah, it's all good. Thank you for tagging me.

Just wanted to say Hi :wave: @luvsibes
I‘m sorry you’re dealing with shoulder issues. I hope you find the cause soon, followed by relief. Wishing you lots of comfort as you’re seeking answers. :console2:

Hello Layla. I remember you from my hip journey! I have had my MRI now on both shoulders, am doing P/T and have my ortho appointment with Dr. Klapper (ESPN Weekend Warrior host) at Cedar Sinai in mid-March. Dx from MRI: glenohumeral join space narrowing with osteophytes, rotator cuff impingement, acromioclavicular degeneration, tendonosis, extensive grade 4 chondromalacia, tear in supraspinatus and infarspinatus tendons! Basically no cartilage and exposed bone. P/T is helping with pain along with low dose tramadol and CBN sleep gummies!

Ugh! That MRI report doesn't sound like fun. Do you know the grade of the supra and infra tears (these are 2 of the rotator cuff tendons)? At our age, some degradation of the joints and tears in the tendon are "normal" but the loss of cartilage sounds significant.

I'm not sure if we communicated during our hip days but I remember your screen name. I had both hips replaced and then repair of a major rotator cuff tear (with a bunch of other work thrown in) in 2020. I was lucky that I didn't have the arthritis/loss of cartilage in my shoulder.

The ortho might not recommend a replacement but I'd encourage you to look through some of the threads on shoulder replacement so that you're able to think of questions for the ortho just in case. In particular, look at differences between a standard replacement and a reverse replacement. The choice between the 2 sometimes comes down to the state of the rotator cuff. The rehab and restrictions after the 2 can differ and that may be an area to discuss with the ortho if a replacement is recommended.

Take care and I hope the pain abates!

Hi @luvsibes
Its great to hear from you, I only wish it wasn’t due to you dealing with the pain of another arthritic joint. Thankfully you are finding some relief currently. I remember that you loved your surgeon and you’re seeing the same one, so that’s a good thing! It’s nice to have someone you trust and have confidence in. Stay in touch and let us know how your appointment goes. I wish you comfort as you’re waiting.

Update: I have completed PT of 2x/week for 12 weeks with an excellent therapist. My ortho doc believed PT would help and I wasn't ready for surgery. He was right. I'm now doing a bridge program with our senior gym at the university and working with a personal trainer who consults with my PT. I have ROM back, minimal pain, and increased strength. PT works if you really do it on your own as well! I appreciate the support at BoneSmart and just referred a friend with recent hip surgery.

Happy New Year to all of you at BoneSmart!

@luvsibes Happy New Year! What a great update! So glad the PT worked for you. I hope you continue to see progress.

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
Hope 2023 is Amazing!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie