• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Now I'm confused.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazyb

post-grad
Hi Kathy

:yay::yay::yay: I am so pleased for you!!!! I know you will be scared and so nervous but it is best to just get on with it. The waiting is bad enough - wise decision to bring it forward ... GOOD GIRL :happydance:You know we shall all be here for you to give you the support and advice you need - as you know us Bonesmarties love giving advice :wink:. I am so happy for you :happydance:.

skigirl

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Kathy, I also had lots of confusion and fear before my knee surgery, Also, I felt that I would be somehow LESS if I had a tka. I used to reply proudly NO, when someone asked me if I had had my knees "done".

The Thing that brought me to surgery was my fatigue and depression. I think that I had channelled my pain into fatigue. So, I would ski, go home and fall asleep in a chair. Sure, I had no pain---but I also had no life!!

Even with all the extra stuff I have dealt with, I still have so much more energy without the knee pain. So, don't let fear run your life--go out and live it. Kelly

OP
OP
KathyH

KathyH

Sr Bonesmartie
Thank you both for your encouraging words, Jo and Kelly.

Jo, you have been here for me from the start with encouragement and support. Also, you are one of my role models, as you have done so well :thankyou: and I pray that I can follow in your footsteps :angel:

Kelly, I know exactly what you mean about there being LESS after a TKR - after all, they are whipping away some of your bone, which cannot be replaced. That in itself is scary. Did you not have pain at all? See, this is where my doubt lies for me, as I have absolutely no pain at all. Everyone else on here seems to have pain sometimes or have to live with it 24/7. So I feel a 'fraud' in that respect. So I'll go from no pain pre-op to pain post-op?

Kathy
xx

davrunner

senior
Kathy,
Congratulations on scheduling your return to a new normal. In my previous surgeries i tried to convince myself I wasn't as bad as I thought when I okayed the operations, when I had my neck surgery I almost bolted out of preop until they gave me some relaxation meds. That was a good thing as the Anestesia Doc came in and told me they would put a mainline in my juglar vein down to my heart in case an air bubble entered the blood stream working on my vertabrae. I was too loopy to run but really wanted to. Everything worked out, as it will for you.
I will be following you by a couple of months getting a revision of a PKR to TKR on right knee. Revision is due to RA not failure of the knee. Stay strong, and scream when you need to.

speccybecky

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Kathy, I didn't have a lot of pain in knee although i was limping and was beginning to hurt my hip from that. I reasoned doc wouldn't want to do it if it wasn't necessary. I do think it made my recovery harder as I didn't immediately appreciate the loss of arthritic pain like some do. Just bite the bullet and get it over with and you'll be on the road to recovery.

Nyland

post-grad
I understand this thread very well. I don't have the fireworks of pain, like others have described. When I read their pain experience, I feel a tad embarrassed. My legs just plain, old hurt. Sometimes ache so much, and the swelling makes them feel heavy. It isn't a localized hurt, it is pretty much from my knees down to my heels. When my OS asked me if I had pain on the inside of my knee, I said that I did not. He touched the spot he was referencing (not hard) and I almost shot like a missile off of the table, accompanied by a very non-lady-like screech. I can't walk, though. I use a cane. I have a ramp at my front door because I can't lift my legs and have fallen too many times on the concrete or door jam. (ambulance...stitches....) So, the moral to my post is we all have our own pre-op stories and our dreams are all the same....relief. Kathy, we'll have a new set (left for you, right for me) before the end of July. Yay for us!

Knitter4444

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I was in so much pain pre-op and still questioned the surgeon after the surgery if it were warranted. I still remember the look on his face. Thank goodness he had a sense of humor.
I think we all need validation. And we are entitled to a quality of life. Please remind me what I just wrote when I have one of the spacers exchanged at the end of this month. Yikes!!

Nyland

post-grad
It is a deal, Merry! Best of luck with the spacer exchange.

OP
OP
KathyH

KathyH

Sr Bonesmartie
Davrunner, that was certainly an experience for you with the mainline being put into your jugular vein, crikey. But it all worked out for you. Sorry to hear you are having to have your PKR into a TKR, but these procedures seem to be successful, as I'm sure yours will. Not long for you now, the time will fly.

Nancy, exactly how I feel - not appreciating the non-arthritic pain after the TKR. Yes, I will bite the bullet, REALLY hard, I can assure you and probably the surgeon's hand :heehee:

Nyland, you may not have fireworks pain, but it sure sounds most uncomfortable for you and you are most deserving of this operation. You and I would do well in a three legged race :rofsign:

Merry, I can well understand you asking that question after your op and I would love to have seen your surgeon's face :heehee: And I think we'll all be reminding you of your own words at the end of July :thumb:

Thanks to all

Kathy
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MollyUK