TKR Now I have a matching pair of titanium knees

I am jealous!!! But do schedule regular and long--1-2 hours rests during the day.

So nice to hear how well you are progressing! sounds like you have a full agenda with lots of travel....good for you! just take time to rest and ice. Happy Travels :loveshwr:

Your trips sound fabulous! Have a great time.
We had some wonderful ribs in Memphis at Charlie Vergos Rendezvous.

You're doing very well. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Enjoy your travels, @Mazza . That's what knee replacements are all about - giving you back the life you want to lead. I'm so pleased your knees are doing well. :yes!: :dancy: :friends:

In joy Marilyn I return to work tomorrow, will be thinking of you. Xx

LTKR 11 May 2016

Here I am with the "6 month" update

I noticed in reading back, that it's a while since I posted and a lot has happened since then!
Two days before setting off for the cruise of The Douro, Portugal, I managed to kick the base of our very solid bookcase and it didn't take a lot of guesswork to figure out that I had broken my little toe on the right foot. This meant that I was now "nursing" the LTKR leg as well as hobbling on the right leg!! :scare:

The cruise was wonderful, but needless to say, getting around was painful and there were few shoes I could wear. All those plans of wearing snazzy shoes were entirely ruled out. :heehee:

Within a few days of our return from Portugal, I was packed and setting off for my trip to the US. This included flying to Chicago, Amtrak overnight to Memphis, Amtrak to New Orleans then a trip around the Caribbean. With two days in each of the first cities, you can imagine that I was not going to sit around in a hotel room. So hobble I did, for miles it seemed. Some of the trips were done by bus to other areas, but walking was never avoidable!

To bring me back to the present, the toe is still "sore" but I am able to wear most of my winter boots and shoes without too much of a reminder. I never thought such a small fracture could take so long to heal, but then it never stood a chance :hairpulling:

Back to the LTKR - I was hoping to say that everything was great by now, but I still have a really stiff and sore area along the outside of the knee (tight elastic band) and the bend feels just like two overtightened screws exist each side of the knee :flabber:. However, I'm not worrying about it as there are still nearly 6 months to go before I hit the one year marker. I will admit that I haven't used the recumbent bike despite all best intentions, so I guess that has to be my New Year resolution :loll:as well as the usual weight loss!

That's enough of a ramble from me.
Happy New Year to ALL Bonesmarties xx

One question - Has anybody out there ever developed a "cyst" like object on the front of their TKR? I discovered this little movable item a few weeks ago and it's never changed. Small, knobbly and perfectly formed; no pain, just feels and looks silly to me. It's on the front, immediately below the TKR
Should I get it checked out? :scratch:

Hi Mazza , good to read your story this morning - very encouraging and uplifting!

Regarding your question re the 'cyst' , l haven't any experience of such nor have heard any stories of the same but my mantra is always if in doubt, check it out. If it's something, it can be dealt with, if it's nothing, you are reassured.

May l ask a question of you please? You said in an earlier post that you experienced calf pain and that this was an issue when standing from sitting. How long did this last for? Did the stretches/massages help significantly in reducing the pain? Sorry, that turned out to be more than one question!

Mazza,
Post a photo, @Josephine may have an answer.
Great to hear how well you are doing, even with the broken toe.

Great to hear from you, Marilyn!
It sounds as if those knees of yours stood up to a lot of travelling and walking, with only a small amount of grumbling.

I'm glad you managed to do all those interesting things.

As Chris (Pumpkln) says, post a photo of the "cyst", so Josephine can have a look.

Has anybody out there ever developed a "cyst" like object on the front of their TKR? I discovered this little movable item a few weeks ago and it's never changed.
It will be an infra patellar bursa (sometimes also called a pre-patellar bursa)

baker-cyst.jpg

It's a normal part of your knee anatomy and perfectly harmless so there is absolutely no need to have anything done unless it gets painful or becomes a nuisance.

Sometimes doing a lot of kneeling can cause it to become inflamed and painful when it is then called a housemaid's knee! Back in the days of Downton Abbey when housemaids spent an awful lot of time on their hands and knees scrubbing floors, it was a very common malady!

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member