TKR Now I have a matching pair of titanium knees

Why the heck did I call her a poodle?!?!?
I think I know the answer to that one! We have a profanity filter on BoneSmart that automatically alters some words that can be used in an off-colour sense. I think you wrote the word for a female dog, which the auto-correct changed to "poodle".

It's funny sometimes, for example when someone writes "Life's a (word for female dog)" and the auto-correct makes it read "Life's a poodle."

@Mazza I have just orderd some cryoderm hope we get some relief keep me posted if yours cums before mine.

LTKR 11 May 2016

@Celle I quite agree about the furry babies; we almost started a kennel here, but funny!
I took it easy yesterday apart from one short outing. Not so much "blue" today but frustrated by the persistence of the pain in my calf that is preventing me from walking properly. I have to return for post op check on Tues 21st and dreading what they might say.
My swelling has reduced a lot but the calf pain and muscles at top of leg are very sore still.

@Dawni My CryoDerm arrived and I've used it four times a day. It gives temporary relief and at least provides another form of comfort for the sore spots. No product is going to work miracles - only time will do that, but anything is better than nothing and this is portable and not another medicine. I still only take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.

@Celle - I laughed out loud at the poodle explanation. Thank you for the explanation; for a while there I thought it was me hallucinating as I had a poodle years ago :rotfl:. No mor doggie talk on this thread :tada:

Don't be afraid of what they will say. You haven't done anything wrong and you need their help. It's their job to help you.

@LFitz thank you for the empathy and advice about the calf. I have been dubious about stretching it more but what you say makes sense as I know the worst steps are the first and then it eases. This pain is worse to deal with than my knee itself and a but scary too :badspidy::eeeuw:

@Mazza I look forwad to my CyroDerm arriving I ordered the roll on one, I have a very deep pain on the inside of my knee were the meniscus was and we're I had the most pain before. Lol I could talk about my dogs all day we do competition obedience with them, ok I won't talk about that lol but thanks for the advice about the CyroDerm x

LTKR 11 May 2016

The CyroDerm, does it come in drum size??? I feel like I need to marinade in it, lol

@Mazza great tip for the cryoderm, I ordered a roll on one as well. I've been using bio freeze on the pain spot I have on the inside of my knee but that has to be applied with your hand so the roller idea is great! Thanks [emoji2]. Clara too funny

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Drum wow that would be very expensive lol, it comes in a roll on, spray and gell,thought roll on would be easier I got mine from amazon £12 UK sorry don't know $ but can't wait till it comes to use it x

LTKR 11 May 2016

@Dawni @LFitz @uva55 What great thoughts about a marinating drum; perhaps we should hound the manufacturers to come up with a 3ft tube that we could just wrap around our legs? :rofsign:

I have found the Cryoderm to be soothing and no regrets about buying it. It's so transportable too for those times when you can't be lugging an ice machine along:heehee:

Keep on Cryo-rolling Bonesmarties :loll:

OK - So time I updated my Thread for the sake of continuity.

Day 17 dawned and was the dreaded return trip for the check up with the hospital physio. Actually, by then my head was full of our mantra and I felt chilled about the visit even when I entered the waiting room and joined the gathering of about 15 other worried/terrified TKR's! :sick::swoon:

I sat there feeling quite smug since I was in the minority as a second TKR recipient and knew what was coming at least. It was obvious that by the look on some faces, having been told to attend the gym clinic, they thought they might be asked to leap over wooden horses, climb bars, cycle and perform acrobatics :snork:

Seriously, I managed to put a couple of people out of their misery but they looked as if they hadn't slept all night!

The time came when the list of "victims" was read out and I led the way through followed by a line of hobbling war wounded patients. By then I was full of sympathy as it was obvious that most of my fellow ward occupants weren't nearly as competent as me in walking. I do believe it was for that reason that I was ushered straight to one of the examination tables and the others were asked to be seated at the far end of the gym room. I could hear their hearts and knees thumping from where I was!:bolt:

I was immediately complimented for my walking ability then had my ROM checked in all imaginary directions - all was great, "Just keep up with exercises" was the instruction then I was asked to "walk" a few paces. Was I proud to ignore my sticks and just walk as best I could? :yay::giggle::spin:

The others looked on with amazed expressions (little did they know that my smile hid the gritting of my teeth through the sore muscle and slightly mechanical feel of my knew knee kit). Applause from my audience and both of the physios who had last helped me on the ward. Then I was finished and told I could go. Needing to wait for my husband to return with the car, I took a chair with the others and listened to the encouraging talk they were given as a group. It was then that I realised none of them were doing as well as they anticipated due to different set backs or excuses even about "Can't do the exercises!" A couple had problems with healing and needed antibiotics, one was just terrified about everything, etc. :sick::eeeuw: My heart dropped from elation to deep sympathy for all of them and reminded me of how I felt nearly 3 years ago, before I found Bonesmarties :dead:.

I wished I'd had cards for Bonesmarties in my bag, but did just have time to tell one sufferer about it. Two of the men there seemed well advanced compared to my plight when we were in hospital; walking upright and without hesitation which I had put down to their having surgery a day prior to me and being stronger! Here they were with problems that could have been resolved (perhaps) if they'd had more knowledge of the expectations. The hospital team gave marvellous support, before, during and after discharge from surgery. The support lines are there even with follow up phone calls, but patients are sometimes reluctant to use that facility, perhaps not even admitting how they feel at home. If only Bonesmarties could be advertised in orthopaedic wards :wow:.

So onwards and upwards for me thank goodness and this Forum. Somehow we need to get the word out there, especially here in the UK. Long live Bonesmarties :angel:

I rarely use sticks around the house or garden here now. I do use them when I go out to steady my walk and also to use as a shield if people invade my personal space :yikes:. Otherwise I'm doing ok, continuing to RICE often, take the tablets and soak up every ounce of the care from my husband while it lasts :heehee:

Every day is a tiny advance along the recovery journey. I am fortunate not to have experienced set backs and remained emotionally stable along the way. Many thanks to those who have Followed me and I hope I can be of assistance to anybody else out there :elevate: :good-bad:

Will continue my Thread in a few days from now

You are doing amazing in your recovery...that's great to hear :yahoo:

Thank you @uva55 - It doesn't always feel that way, but I'm determined to keep upbeat. Today my knee feels just like a piece of machinery which isn't surprising. I'm guessing the internal bits and pieces are trying to work out where to go now! :flabber::dubious::bawl::cry:

I love reading your threads. You are so uplifting and the humor helps with these depressing times. It sounds like you're doing great! And now you have two new knees! Once this one is ready, I'll have to go through it again with the left one. Then I'll have two new knees! With all my new friends on BS, we all will make it through! This site is a gift to all who take the time to visit and read the threads.

I too enjoy your postings!! I felt like I was hobbling right along aside you at the gym clinic- haha! Hope you continue to get stronger (and posting) with each new day!!

My heart goes out to all those people you described because I was one of those people and really think the start of my journey would have been different had I found this site prior to my tkr. The information and support on here is unsurpassed. I've shared this site with so many people and have actually had people come back to me asking me for the information again because they now know someone about to have surgery. Let's all continue to spread the word :)

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I love reading your threads. You are so uplifting and the humor helps with these depressing times. It sounds like you're doing great! And now you have two new knees! Once this one is ready, I'll have to go through it again with the left one. Then I'll have two new knees! With all my new friends on BS, we all will make it through! This site is a gift to all who take the time to visit and read the threads.

Thank you @sistersinhim . I try to keep my Thread upbeat even when times seem bleak.
I suffered badly in the early days of my first TKR and Bonesmarties almost saved my life when I did feel so dreadful that I could happily have taken an overdose .
So many Members came forward with support as well as sharing similar experiences that I recognise I was normal and things WOULD get better. During this 2nd surgery and recovery days I constantly reminded myself of that positive memory.
Nobody who hasn't experienced TKR can start to comprehend the agony of coping with healing time and the disruption to life
I was blown away by Bonesmarties and will always be grateful to those who had the insight to start it up. Long may it live
Today I am still resting in bed but listening with a heavy heart to the EU referendum result!
Once my legs are fine we were planning a European tour in our motor home. That and other issues will now be severely affected

I'm glad BoneSmart was able to help you. That's what we try to do.

Best wishes for continued good progress with this new knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back