TKR Now I have a matching pair of titanium knees

Mazza

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had intended writing my Thread much earlier than this, but using my phone isn't as simple as the laptop at home.

I'm now day 4 post surgery and still in hospital because firstly my BP was very low and then my blood tests showed I am borderline anaemic and may need a transfusion entailing another overnight stay .

Never mind; the surgery all went to plan and I was again in the hands (literally) of a marvellous surgical and recovery team here at The Royal United Hospital in Bath, UK

Being my second TKR there were no surprises in store and for that reason I was mentally well prepared for the pain post op. Because of my low BP I wasn't able to have Oramorph but have survived with Ibuprofen and Paracetamol plus the luxury of ice packs that I am able to take home with me!

My leg is more swollen than RTKR and there is concern of a DVT developing but this is under observation. I doubt that it's anything more than swelling and bruising as a result of surgery .
So nothing much more to report but I am happy to be on this side of the Board!

Mazza 1.jpeg
Mazza 2.jpeg

Hope you get home soon problem free x

LTKR 11 May 2016

Good for you! Hope you're home soon and sleeping peacefully.

Welcome to the otherside, for a second time!!

Glad you are doing well.
Heres the post op reading, always good to review the articles.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I know you'll be glad to get out of there, but at least you're being waiting on hand and foot! Enjoy that part of it. I pray that everything will come out positive for you and this new knee of yours.

it sounds like the staff is being very careful, I am glad you are in good hands.

Welcome to 'Recovery'!

Unlike before, every day will find your knee getting better instead of worst! But of course.. you already know that! Looking forward to following your recovery as you feel like posting!

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 5.39.53 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. Wishing you low pain, :ice:,:sleep:

Can't believe that I spent an hour or more writing a one week in report on my recovery and my iPad ran out of juice causing me to lose the lot. That was 4 days ago so now I have found a slot in my lazy day schedule to write again.

Thank you for all the messages received. I am taking good care of the leg using as much of the RICE mantra as possible. A good friend has loaned me a really good ice machine and that is a bonus. When I was discharged from hospital it was with a wrap around pad that had compartments for holding frozen plastic inserts (rather like bubble wrap containing water?). This was better than nothing and a preference to bags of peas as my RTKR.

To be honest my recovery is going well and I was even able to attend a couple of family gatherings over he weekend (Days 8 & 9 post op). The knee wound isn't bothering me much at all, but I am still suffering pain in the back of my calf which is a real trial when walking. No amount of RICE has helped from Day 1 and knowing that it has to be post surgery trauma, can anybody advise me of having had a similar experience?

The "reveal" or removal of wound dressing will take place Wednesday and I am eager to see if it has healed as well as last time (RTKR)

My entire leg has turned various shades of black, purple and yellow, but is gradually returning to a normal colour as the old blood has dispersed. Sitting on a bruised upper leg hasn't been much fun, let alone trying to get this tree trunk of a leg in and out of bed. Came up with the grand idea of using a She Wee during the nights rather than hobbling through to the en suite and disturbing "he who sleeps" every time [emoji28][emoji6]
Why didn't we think of that last time?

I will write again and post my war wound photo after Wednesday.

Would much appreciate advice about the calf pain. Best wishes to everybody

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1465818856.063296.jpg
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1465818856.063296.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 167
Have you tried doing calf stretches by pulling your toes up with a strap or a standing calf stretch? Your PT can help with that. I also used ice on my calf too. I hope you're feeling better soon.

@newlybionic Thanks for the suggestion about stretching the calf muscle, but that's the very thing I can't manage as it already feels like a strained muscle or ligaments.
While in hospital I had an ultrasound to rule out any chance or it being a DVT.
I've reverted to heat pad today in an effort to soothe the area, in between icing the knee, which is giving me little discomfort in comparison to the pain in the back of my calf

I'm glad you had your calf checked for a DVT and it was negative.

I know that we usually advise no heat on your leg, but maybe a hot bag would help your calf pain? Just keep it well away from your knee.
When I had tendinitis after I sprained my ankle, my PT therapist advised alternating cold and hot packs and that did seem to help.

@Celle thank you as always for keeping any eye out for me amongst all the Bonesmarties you advise and support.

I used a heat pad yesterday for just 30 mins at a time and kept it away from the knee which I am continuing to ice. To be honest it did little or no good and I am resigned to the fact that as with any sprain or strain, it will take time to heal. Such a shame as I can cope with the knee wound very well!

The initial standing from sitting is the worst and I have to grit my teeth to get that lower leg moving. Once I've hobbled a few steps it eases, but I'm not going to do too much more than have a wobble around the garden each day apart from moving around as much as I have to in the house.

As last time, my husband has been a tower of strength for me. The only time we were tetchy with each other was during the first 48 hrs of my return home, because the life adjustment was (even with prior experience) difficult. He'd had a few days of tinkering with his own projects while I was in hospital and I'd been attended to by the hospital staff 24/7. Mentally we were on a high that I was home, which quickly diminished into the realisation that we both had to concentrate on the needs of the TKR and nothing much else. After a few rounds of tears and apologies, we made a pact not to panic and keep to as much of a routine as we can to accommodate this time of recuperating. We both knew it wasn't going to be the nicest interruption to our usual laid back days of enjoying retirement, especially travelling out an about in the car or our motor home, but the time will come when we can do plenty of that without me suffering as I was previously.

I am at a loss to know how Bonesmarties cope with either living alone or with partners who aren't tuned in to the recovery needs of a TKR patient; we all have coping strategies that differ enormously, but this Forum is a "bible" that helps everyone.

Wound dressing to be changed tomorrow. I can't wait to be rid of the messy looking one that is leaving me with an oblong of leg "where the sun can't shine LOL"

image.jpeg image.jpeg A couple of photos, one immediately pre op when my surgeon posed with my leg LOL, and my very smiley anaesthetist

image.jpeg image.jpg Day 12 and just about to go for the wound check. I've actually removed the dressing myself before going (don't remember being that brave last time) but I felt easier doing it myself. Everything dry and neat,me so no worries here
image.jpeg My dog Lyra watching over me. Of course I never let her on the bed!

Glad to hear you're doing so well and hope the calf pain straightens out soon. And, yes, we who have supportive partners are very fortunate. Your knee looks really good. Your dog is adorable Take care.

Dorothy

Love the dog pic is he a collie, I have 4 collies one German Shepherd and 1 Belgium shepherd they are the love of my life and have been constant companon though out my recovery

LTKR 11 May 2016

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks