THR Now hippy time

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
Having finally recovered from total knee replacement in both knees over a 3 year period I've now discovered my left hip will need replacing too.
The though fills me with dread, I hadn't envisaged that by the age of 62, I would be bionic, it was bad enough having surgery and recovery on my knees now to think it's gonna start all over again is not fun at all.
Has anyone else done both their knees first?
What was your experience please.
I'm starting some kind of deep bone magnetic stimulation, over a course of 5 weeks to see if I can relieve some of the pain, it's a 1 hour session once a week, if this fails they will then inject gel into the joint and then eventually a total replacement of the hip I assume.
Walking helps me and I'm doing an average of 10k steps a day, it sitting, resting or lying in bed that the pain is at its worst, sleeping a bit hit n miss, I've been prescribed Flexiban, but still have Tramadol left over from my knees if it all gets too painful.

@Sara61 So sorry you are facing more surgery! The good news is they say hips are an easier recovery than knees. I have no experience with this however!

Just wondering why your surgeon is delaying the inevitable? Nothing will slow down the damage from arthritis. In my experience the earlier the THR is done the easier the recovery. Less time for the damage to impact other areas.

In any case, you know we will be here for you! Welcome to the hippie side!

No experience with knees so far myself. I know with my hips the OS told me don't waste my time with any injections or other magic, nothing was going to fix it aside from replacement and he'd get me in quick. My hips biggest pain was when trying to sleep. The deep bone ache and no comfortable position was terrible.

@Jaycey, the waiting list unless an emergency is 2 years, I'm hoping when I see the head surgeon in October, he can pull a few strings. Here they make surgery last resort so they try other options first.

@Eman85 Yep nights are the worst, I've tried pillows at the side, in the middle to no avail. Hoping the muscle relaxer will give me some relief until eventually it gets replaced :praying:

Sorry to read that you are facing another surgery, @Sara61. I hope the other treatments give you pain relief while you wait.

My personal experience was that the recovery from my THR was much easier and less painful than the recovery from my TKR.

In my case the pain wasn't muscles, just pure inflammation of the joint. The only relief I could get in a drug was NSAIDs like Aleve. I'm sure I didn't do my kidneys and stomach any good but that's what I used. Towards the end with my right I had pillows propping me when I got any relief.

Oh my, I Sure hope you can get it done sooner than later, friend.
:console2:
I lived with a heating pad and the weirdest positions for trying to get rest... warmth did seem to soothe some.

@Sara61 Can you take NSAIDs? Not good long term but they did help ease some of the pre-op pain before both my THRs.

Sorry your wait is so long!

You know the age thing passes quickly. I had my first replacement on a hip a year ago and I also was shocked and not impressed that my body betrayed me this way. Focus on what will get you recovered more quickly and most efficiently. You've got this!

Oh Sara.. I can imagine how you feel about this! I hope you aren't facing a two year wait for your surgery.
I've only had my hips replaced but interestingly my sister, who's had both of her knees replaced is having her THR on the right side on May 30. She's not sleeping well either. Plus she already know s the other hip needs replaced too. She had to grieve for a couple months and now she's just looking forward to having it done and over with.

Hi sweet Sara,
I am sorry you're hurting and facing another joint replacement. I wish you didn't have to wait so long!
Like Mojo, heat helped me, especially in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I used to go to bed early just to give my aching hip and thigh a break, and I'd watch tv with the heating pad on my leg, moving it around. It did help some. I wish you lots of comfort, Sara. :console2:
@Sara61

Thank you all for your reassurances, Mojo & Layla, agree heat helps likewise most evenings I'm in bed early with a heat pad just to ease of some of the pain.
Is it normal for me to get severe pain on the outer side of my left knee, is this coming from the hip?
Taking Flexiban at night and the only pill that helps with the pain is Skudexa a mixture of Tramadol and Paracetamol (Tylenol)
For me to be put on the list for surgery, I have to firstly try out their alternative methods, it was the same protocol with my knees, this I don't mind if it just takes away the pain, Strangely I don't recall the pre-surgery knee pain as bad, but then ones memory forgets pain quickly.

Is it normal for me to get severe pain on the outer side of my left knee, is this coming from the hip?
Yes, you will get pain radiating from many areas. You are walking all wrong trying to stay off that sore hip. Many areas will complain.

Are you using a cane or crutch? Taking weight off that side may help ease this pain. So sorry you are dealing with this!

At the moment not using either, trying to avoid as long as possible, mostly out of vanity, but probably it would make sense.
Funnily mornings I'm fine, the pain seems to attack at about 4/5 pm as soon as I stop moving, movement helps, sitting and lying down I notice it more prominently once I'm asleep then I suppose my muscles relax, but getting to sleep is another whole ball game.

I was the same about using cane - vanity. But if you have that long wait anything you can do to ease the burden off that sore hip will help. Get yourself a fancy walking pole. People will think you are an avid hiker! :heehee:

On my right side I had terrible pain in the top of my foot. After my THR no pain in my foot. radiating pain is common with hips.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom