Finger/Thumb Now for the right CMC

celynda

senior
Country
United States United States
In April of 2016, I had a arthroplasty/carpo-meta-carpal joint: left thumb carpo-meta-carpal arthroplasty, left index trigger finger release. On March 29 of this year, I will have the same thing on the right hand.

The weird thing is the left index finger is bothering me again. It's painful and part of the finger feels odd. Feels numb but there's no loss of sensation. The right index finger is the same way from the first knuckle to the tip (2/3s of the finger)

@Josephine, any ideas on what's causing this numbness? There's no tingling, just a really odd feeling in both fingers.

left index trigger finger release: The weird thing is the left index finger is bothering me again
It is entirely possible for the trigger nodules to reoccur. I imagine this is what has happened to you.

The other thing is, it could happen again in a different place to the original.

trigger finger.JPG

Thanks. I’ll see if the hand surgeon will do another trigger release while he’s working on the other hand.

Don't think he'll go for that! It's not usual to disable both hands at the same time.

You are probably right. I’ll ask him to do a steroid shot instead and that should keep me happy for a couple of months.

Had the pre-op for thumb surgery today. All systems go for The 29th. I asked the surgeon about the left index finger.

It’s not another trigger. It’s something called Swan Neck deformity. D2EF9C36-59E7-49C7-A1FD-B91F9315A5EF.jpeg The only thing to do is get a ring type splint.

Or, stop knitting which isn’t an option.

@Josephine, have you ever heard of swan neck deformity? What I thought might be a trigger finger is actually swan neck deformity and I have it in at least three fingers. I don’t have rheumatoid arthritis so it’s probably a result of the cerebral palsy I have.

When I go back to have the stitches removed for the CMC arthroplasty, they’ll give me a splint for swan neck deformity fingers.

have you ever heard of swan neck deformity?
Of course I have!

It's a deformed position of the finger, in which the joint closest to the fingertip is permanently bent toward the palm while the nearest joint to the palm is bent away from it (DIP flexion with PIP hyperextension) also known as a Boutonniere deformity - Boutonniere being the name of the French surgeon who first described it

upload_2019-4-3_18-10-21.jpeg

Treatments include:
  1. Physical therapy and occupational therapy. If SND is mild, your doctor may recommend PT or OT as your first line of treatment
  2. Splinting. Your doctor may advise a splint to try to correct and stabilize the SND
  3. Soft tissue repair
  4. PIP joint arthroplasty - much the same as for arthritis
  5. Finger joint fusion
2. Boutonniere splint

upload_2019-4-3_18-15-35.jpeg

3. soft tissue is just realigning or adjusting the the length and tensions of the tendons

4. PIP joint fusion or Proximal interphalangeal joint fusion.

dip joint fusions 2.JPG

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member