• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Now considering LTKR

Randi

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks. I’m tentatively scheduled for March 2020 but not sure if I should go ahead given the complications with my right knee ...

OP
OP
Randi

Randi

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
You’re right of course. It’s just that I haven’t been able to exercise or even walk much and I would like to be on better shape before I start this again. I keep wondering if it makes a difference if you wait longer for the replacement or not. This knee has been bone on bone for about 8 years.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I keep wondering if it makes a difference if you wait longer for the replacement or not. This knee has been bone on bone for about 8 years.
I'd advise you to get it done as soon as possible. The longer you leave it, the more it could deteriorate. Muscles and tendons could shrink and you could lose some muscle strength. All of that could make for more complicated surgery and will make for a more difficult recovery.

I had to wait for 9 long, painful years before my first knee replacement. During that time, my pain increased and my mobility decreased, until I was almost housebound. My recovery was harder than either of my two later TKRs.

I had my second knee replaced as soon as my surgeon said it was ready. That recovery was easier than my two previous recoveries.

OP
OP
Randi

Randi

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Hmmm. Thanks for that advice. I will certainly take that into consideration

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Randi since you are considering having the left knee done don't you think it might be better to start a new thread for that pending surgery in the pre-op area. This thread is now 12 pages long. I am concerned you won't get our members input here.

OP
OP
Randi

Randi

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Sure. If that is what you think is best.

Helizabug

senior
Country
United States United States
My decision to have this first TKR was a no-brainer, and I almost never use that phrase, but it was the obvious choice.

And my memories of past surgeries has helped me understand this recovery better.

That said, I would have a harder time letting the surgeon do this to my other knee any time soon. This has been a traumatic recovery, and mine hasn’t been as bad as many folks’.

I say this for an important reason, with my post-TKR-stress-syndrome I might not be the best judge of whether I should have another one. I would need to turn to some other, wise folks for help, I would need some help visualizing my end game, and I would need some external reassurance that I’ll have the help I need during the recovery.

Some of that help can be found right here on BoneSmart, from a post like the one above by @Celle. Some from your health care team and your family and friends. Some is your own work.

That’s a lot of first person narrative for someone else’s thread, but I hope it helps you find a path to a whole knee soon.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It’s just that I haven’t been able to exercise or even walk much and I would like to be on better shape before I start this again.
If your knee has already affected your mobility as much as this, things will probably continue to get worse, not better. Get that knee fixed as soon as you can - and then start regaining mobility.

This may help you to assess how bad your knee is and how much it is affecting your quality of life:
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
PepperPott
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom