Lounge Doctor

TKR Nov 3, 2021

CyclistTampa

Country
United States United States
25 days post op TKR right knee. I Expected WAY more out of myself…
Start OP PT tomorrow 3x a week, neuromuscular massage 1 day a week and trying to figure out how to get in the pool to start walking without this walker!
Any ideas?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@CyclistTampa Welcome to BoneSmart!
I Expected WAY more out of myself…
Why? This is very major surgery. At only 25 days out you are in the very early stages of a process that can take one year or more.

Please go easy on all that PT. Three days a weeks sounds just brutal! You are not in training - you are healing.

I would wait to get into a pool until you have more mobility and you don't need any walking aid. Focus on transitioning from the walker to a crutch or cane. It is very easy to over do in the water. You are weightless and may tend to push too hard.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Take it easy! Don't try and push recovery, it's counterproductive. If you have a static bike -
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

OP
OP
CyclistTampa

CyclistTampa

Country
Day 27: Not ready for my bikes yet… did pedal somewhat on the recombinant in PT yesterday and managed 6x 360 backwards !
Also had a safety belt and used a cane for about 100 feet. Loved the temporary independence from my walker! Baby steps

Jockette

Country
@CyclistTampa Congratulations on your new friend! :banana-santa:

I moved your post out of the November Nimbles thread as we reserve that thread for seeing who else has surgery that month. We prefer no other discussion than surgery dates.

Best wishes as you continue to recover!

OP
OP
CyclistTampa

CyclistTampa

Country
At day 33 post RTKR… our patient PT 3x week, 3 day at home , with a walk…7 th day stretch n rest.
Just switched to a cane from the walker… keeping walker on reserve for longer endurance walks up to 1000 steps! Noticed a “shin splint” feeling post walk that goes away. NOT taking my dog…he would pull me over fir sure…no grocery store or Walgreens… although I’m anxious to get on my bike… I don’t. Did manage a full 15 min on the recombinant at PT with 360 forward rotation .
Moving forward at a glacial pace. Hoping to return back to work around week 10 or 11.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosamund Doudna
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom