THR Not sure where to start..

Run and Jump

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, can hardly believe this is happening but here I am

Im booked for surgery on Sec 5th and mildly terrified.
Im not sure what to write I have so many questions and so many fears

I’ve always had a passion for being active and outdoors. Always been strong and healthy - never even childhood illnesses. Im a personal trainer and passionate about health and movement. Surfing, running, snowboarding, cycling, skating, sea swimming, training, jumping, handstanding, hopping and skipping
My passion has been surfing

Devastatingly about 4/5 years ago my hip started hurting.. gradually it has stopped me doing more and more. Now I find myself in such pain and hardly able to do anything and now hobbling more than limping
So deeply upset and grieving my loss of me, feeling used up washed out and ready to give up

I’ve slowly started to accept and try and take some action to try and help myself (funny how it’s easier to help others but not yourself?)

So I’ve found a surgeon - Sarah Muirhead-Allwood. Who I liked instantly
Has anyone had surgery with her?
And am booked for the 5th

Potentially for thr but there is also the slight possibility of resurfacing with the new H1 trial ... ( 11th hour I know to be uncertain of which)

A long story there and it’s late now .. does anybody have any info or experience on the H1 trials taking place at Imperial College London with prof Justin cobb?

Welcome! :flwrysmile:
I am glad you are here. It’s a great place to learn, ask questions, and get support.
One thing that may help you is reading some of the pre-op threads and post op threads of folks who have had recent surgeries. There is also a library of information.
I had not heard of the H1 ceramic on ceramic trials, but my google search found a study that started in 2017 and it is designed as a ten year study about how this design will hold up in a patient population of about 250 people, so I did not see any published results.

Hello @Run and Jump - and :welome:

Please will you confirm the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Did you meant to write December 5, 2019? I think you did, but you wrote "Sec 5th". Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Run and Jump Welcome to BoneSmart. You have one of the top hip surgeons in the country so are in very good hands. I assume you discussed your very active lifestyle with your surgeon? Will they decide THR or resurfacing once they access the joint? How does your x-ray look?

So I’ve found a surgeon - Sarah Muirhead-Allwood. Who I liked instantly
Has anyone had surgery with her?
And am booked for the 5th
Our forum nurse, Josephine, has always spoken very highly of this surgeon, so I think you'll be in good hands.

Welcome.

Since you felt like you connected with your surgeon, I imagine you're having the discussion about the choice between the thr or the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing with her. Sounds like you have quite the prominent surgeon.

I'll share a piece of background information (from someone who thought seriously about resurfacing-though not the H1 device). THR surgeons these days are much more comfortable with high activity after surgery than they used to be. Many patients these days have few or no restrictions on activity after thr. I had no restrictions.

For the longest time leading up to my surgery, I had been under the impression that only resurfacing surgeons were comfortable with patients running and doing very aggressive activity after surgery. So, I was quite surprised to learn that many thr surgeons are now fine with dancing, jumping, skiing, running, whatever.

Not making any recommendation one way or the other on the thr vs the H1--just thought this bit of background might be helpful. Good luck.

Thankyou
Tomorrow is hospital admission day and I’m having thr
Sarah thought my size too small for H1 and that she would have to take away too much bone to fit the cup
From what I’ve heard she is the person to listen to so I’m putting myself in her hands
Though disappointed of course for the h1

:hi: @Run and Jump
It's amazing how total hip replacement has me back to life and doing all I need and want to do.
My bionic hips feel like my old hips used to, and ridding myself of chronic pain so I could enjoy life and Sleep, priceless.
Scary, I know and this leap of faith isn't without trepidation.
Sending all the best mojo your way.:tada:

Lots of great support here to get you through the anxious bits.

Last edited:
@Run and Jump Best wishes for a successful start to your journey back to an active and pain free life. Many of us were bone on bone and hobbling wondering if we really would ever be us again. You have the surgeon you have confidence in. Now this is the hard part: surrendering to the OS and the team that will take care of you...and they will. Armed with their knowledge and skill, the info and people on this forum, and trust in your body to heal, you will get there. In your hip’s own time and it WILL be so worth it. See you on the other side! Blessings. :angel:

Wishing you all the best today.
With the time difference, hopefully surgery is behind you, you're resting comfortably and the pain is well managed. Will look forward to hearing from you on the Recovery side soon.
Take care!
@Run and Jump

Hope you are home and healing...:ice:
First days can be tough but All Temporary!
Continued healing vibes coming your way...

Wow Thankyou for the love and support
It really makes a difference
I’ve not quite worked out how to use the site properly yet so I just want to say Thsnkyou to those that have messaged and supported me
It really helped me
I was so scared and depressed about it all
Think it all wNt well
Sarah is amazing and lovely
The staffs here at king Edward 7th are amazing, kind professional and seem to have all the time they need to help
I’ve felt quite safe here
Will update soon xxx

Run and Jump,
Glad to hear your THR is done and you are doing well.
Please start your recovery thread in the Hip Recovery Forum, where we can continue to follow your recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom