THR Not sure if this is normal fatigue

Hi @KathyD
I haven't named mine, but you're not the first I've read that has named their prosthetic.
Interesting choices you made. I hope Helen and Troy bring you many years of happiness without
ever misbehaving. I see Helen just had her second birthday...so a Belated Happy Birthday to her.
Hope your week is sunny and bright! :SUNsmile:

Well I survived the Bomb Cyclone here in Colorado. Yesterday I drove my 70 minute commute down to town only to have my office close at 11 am. So I headed home in the worst of it. It took me 3 hours to get home. Fortunately, I have a big 4 wheel drive SUV and have been driving in snowstorms for many years but boy, is it tiring. I am still tired today. But no hip pain from the drive, although I think the big drop in pressure may have made me a little sore.

Oh, Kathy---that is terrible that you were out in the "cyclone", battling the weather only to have to turn around and go home again. I know you are an experienced commuter, but it must have been hard dealing with the wind and roads. Even when I sit in my recliner too long, my back hurts---can't imagine wrestling that SUV up and down the mountain! :groan:No wonder you are tired. I think I would have gotten home and climbed into a hot bubble bath with a glass or two of wine to recover.:heehee:

I was reading that the drop of around 30 millibars in barometric pressure over 24 hours was a record---similar to a category 2 hurricane. Crazy. Here in Loveland we didn't get slammed like a bit further north, or further south. And now today, it's a whole different world---Colorado weather. I also was a bit achy, but nothing like I expected. I am finding that the further out I go, the less I seem to be having the pain that I did the first couple of drops back at 2-3 months out of surgery.

Hope you get rested up this weekend!

The weather has been beautiful lately - spring weather is very changeable in Colorado. Yesterday I walked both dogs to the dog park, about 1/2 mile away, stayed there for about 10 minutes and then walked home. I managed to not get the leashes tangled and the roads were muddy, not icy, so I did pretty good. A little bit sore today, only with movement, so I am encouraged. I am considering a 5k walk for charity the middle of May.

That kind of pressure drop can definitely make you sore. I was actually just reading about that. They said it’s because of bone remodeling being sensitive to the change, like a fracture is. Supposed to go away in the first couple of years.

Thanks, Tollertwins, that is good news. I see that you just had your second hip replacement. I hope you are past that first week from "heck".

:wave:Hi @KathyD
Good for you walking the dogs. And with minimal soreness afterward that I would imagine must be gone by now.
It must be difficult to keep their leashes untangled. I hope you've had a good week since you last posted.
Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile: Hope it's a sunny one in your neck of the woods.

Thanks Layla, My week went well. On Tuesday I walked 1.5 miles with only one dog on a flat surface. Today I drove a stick shift all day down in Denver for the first time since surgery - not too bad! I can feel it now, though when I move my leg. Fortunately this is not my regular car. My son drives it most of the time and he doesn't keep it very clean, so I had it washed and now it is snowing - Murphy's law! I had to take a nap when I got home though. I drove a stick shift all through Italy in October, using the clutch with my bad hip. But I was taking the maximum dose of Ibuprofen interspersed with Tylenol and I did OK. (I had a lot of fun, too)

Glad your week went well. Consider icing tonight while you're resting. I think it may help. Ice where you're feeling the strain / discomfort.
I hope you're feeling great tomorrow and your weekend is a good one!
Thanks for updating. :)
@KathyD

I am using this thread as kind of a diary, so replies are not always necessary unless anyone feels inspired. I had a very nice "girls weekend" and did a lot of walking - home show, shopping, IKEA. And I feel pretty darn good!
I do feel a little stiff, so I am going to do my exercises in a bit. I have not had to take anything for pain for weeks, and sometimes I wonder when the other shoe is going to drop, or if it will.
I am getting a little antsy. I want to start walking here where I live rather than down in town but it keeps snowing! Typical March in the mountains.

:friends: you sound to be doing very well!
Will be so nice to go into summer with two good hips!
Keep posting...you know how helpful it is to pre-op and new recovering hippys to see those improvements!
Hope this week is a good week!:SUNsmile:

Last edited:
Hi :wave:
You're doing well. Getting out, staying busy, living life.
Great to hear, after all that's the goal. And no pain!
May it only get better and better.
Enjoy the week!
@KathyD

Wow! Hope I’m getting around as well as you are in another 2 weeks! I’m just at the end of week 2, week 1 being not a whole lotta fun!

Yes, week one was definitely not a lot of fun. I am actually at 2.5 months out. By 4 weeks I no longer needed my cane, but could not stand or walk that far. I had gone back to work but was extremely tired. (Thus the name of my thread) I had great plans today of going to the gym and working out and maybe trying the treadmill, but went home instead and took a nap. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

I had a lovely long weekend in southeastern Utah and got to do some walking between snowstorms. My feet hurt more than my hips afterwards. Since I've met my deductible, maybe I'll go get them looked at next!

12 weeks today! I spent all day doing errands and now I am wiped out. At least I didn't have to drive the stick shift car.

:unsure:It was quite a while before my stamina returned.
So nice not to have that horrid bone crunching pain but getting back to life can wear you out!
You've done very well...lots of improvement to come.
Hope today is an easy day!:tada:

Thanks Mojo,
It's sometimes hard to know how much is too much until it's too late. I am really debating going back to my house in Utah this weekend. I want to dig up part of the front yard while the ground is wet to get rid of the weeds. If I wait, the clay soil will turn to cement while the weeds will get knee high. On the other hand, if I do this I know I'll pay for it. Probably the weeds will win this time. I wish the gophers and deer would eat the weeds rather than the stuff I plant!

Not quite 3 months from having your prosthetic hip implanted.
Seems like a long time in recovery, but it isn't.
Glad you are rethinking the yard work.
We can only do so much.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet.
:flwrysmile:

Thanks Mojo.

I am going to stay home this weekend. You are right, it is too soon to do heavy work. I'll take my dog to the dog park and do a little walking instead. I'll just call the weeds "native plants" and not worry about it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads