THR Not sure if I overdid it

Hi @WashingtonHiker - I had my surgery the exact same date you had yours, and I still feel that I’m not recovered completely. I have some pain when I bend to grab things, lower back pain and a general feeling of inflammation around my hip and leg. It is probably because I tried to do too much too early.

I went back to work full time on September 13. My job consists pretty much of sitting in front of the computer for 8 hours. I try to get up and move around/stretch every 45 minutes or so. Sometimes when I get up I don’t feel any pain, and sometimes I do, especially at the end of my shift (my hip/leg area feels tight). I drive home from work, I talk to the wife, play with the kids, and get on the bed and elevate the leg. If the leg feels particularly swollen, I ice it down 45 minutes to an hour; that brings relief.

I notice some buttock/groin pain some days, and other days less so. I guess that’s the nature of my recovery, not a straight, and steady one, but with a series of ups and downs. Patience (which I’m starting to develop) is necessary at this juncture of recovery.

Good luck with your recovery!
@boricuaterp - Thanks, my job is also sitting in front of a computer all day. Thanks for the response.

I don't know what to think about my recovery. Now it hurts more to go from a sitting to a standing position. Trying to do a squat to get to full standing hurts and going up the stairs doesn't feel good yet. I can do about half a flight. I am also having sharp pain in the hip like something catches randomly. I am wondering if it is possible that there is something wrong with the joint replacement, or if it is just soft tissue stuff that I have to be patient about. I read something about iliopsoas impingement that made me wonder if it has something to do with the hip replacement cup.

Last edited:
I'm in no way able to give credible medical advice, just my experience. I doubt you've done any damage or have any problems with the implant. I know we're all saying it but it's very hard to believe but you're still early on in recovery. Recovery for many of us is 1 year or longer. Stiffness when raising was part of my recovery, had stutter steps when first walking after getting up with my left. A clicking or odd feeling like a rubber band moving over something when walking happened with my left, with my right it would click doing heel slides in bed. Weakness going up stairs was my right, left had no problems.
The one thing about overdoing, it can stick with you for a long time. It can cause nagging soreness in tendons and prolong the recovery. for some of us.

I had a fracture next to my femoral stem

Hi, I hope things get better for you!

Maybe I missed it, but what did your surgeon do about
the fracture next to your femoral stem?

Well, I have good news to report. I am finally feeling pretty well recovered. I can go up and down the stairs normally now without any pain or discomfort. I am walking about two miles with a tiny bit of elevation gain (100 feet up and down) without any pain. I have been noticing that I really feel close to normal now. Going to try a three mile flat walk today and see how it goes. The only thing that bothers me is if I sit for a long time it is a bit uncomfortable getting up. I finally feel like I am past most of the problems. I know I have to be cautious though, because I am a multiple overdid it club member. I will slowly add distance and a bit of elevation gain and see how it goes.

This is now about 3 1/2 or 4 months post surgery, so have faith folks, things will probably get better if you are struggling. Just takes time.

:wave:Hello @WashingtonHiker
You’re doing great! Thanks for taking the time to update and for sharing encouraging words for those following behind you. Looks like it will be three months since your surgery this coming Saturday. I hope it’s a good one and you’re able to do something special to celebrate. :happyfeet:
Wishing you an early Happy Three Month Anniversary while I’m here.
Best Wishes as you continue the journey! :)

Thanks. You've given me a bit of hope. I have such pain in first standing. I'm sure it's probably soft tissue/tendon stuff but it's so painful and hurts for ages after I start to walk.

:wave:
Happy to see things are getting better.
Lots of improvements to come!:egypdance:

Thanks. You've given me a bit of hope. I have such pain in first standing. I'm sure it's probably soft tissue/tendon stuff but it's so painful and hurts for ages after I start to walk.
@Spex10 - Hang in there.

@WashingtonHiker
You sound like you’re doing well. That’s great. Congratulations.
While my LTHR was more recent than yours (I was Sept 13, 4 weeks today) I have the same thing when getting up from a seated position or out of the car. I need to stand for a minute or two (or three…) to just get acclimated to being fully upright. And my first few steps are sloooow. But when the blood gets moving a bit, I find things loosen up and I’m a little more comfortable. I’ve been doing 3 walks a day for a total of 2-2.5 miles. Rest and ice in between. I don’t really use the cane anymore as I tripped on it once or twice. But I carry it when I’m out in public as sort of a warning sign. I’m intrigued by the hiking poles - I Know someone in my old neighborhood who used them and swore by them. I feel too hunched over w the cane and my wrist gets sore from some nerve damage in there.

It’s funny (not ha ha funny) that each of our recoveries can be so different yet at the same time so similar. I was getting discouraged but then had a big jump in progress during week 3 into 4. My pain is manageable w Tylenol & naproxen. Also using aspirin as a blood thinner for another few weeks. At the same time though, I can cycle up/down in terms of feeling good vs lousy and in pain in the course of the same day. Go figure. It’s really a 2 steps forward, one back kind of thing.
Plus - I still have my right hip to be done - hopefully in Jan-Feb so I can get the worst behind me and try to enjoy next Spring/Summer.

And still……I’d give my right arm for a decent nights sleep. Haven’t done more than 2 hrs at a time since I got home. The recliner helps but I can’t quite handle being in bed on either side yet. This flat on your back stuff is driving me nuts.

Good luck - hope your recovery continues along!

That sleep problem sounds awful @Magsmom . I've cut back the walking a bit. I was having such pain on standing up. Tendonitis? I don't know. I iced and elevated this pm and felt much better after it. The lesson for me is to avoid low seats and remember ice!

Well, I was able to walk/hike my usual hour long 3 mile hike with very very minimal pain in a reasonable amount of time. So happy. It's been a little over three months and I am only going to be able to improve my stamina and flexibility. I even was able to work out at the gym and do some very light weights with my legs.

It was really hard to struggle so much at first. I had thought recovery would be faster. But I am finding that I can now do things that three weeks ago caused significant pain. So for all of you out there feeling like you are not recovering as quickly, have faith. Everyone recovers differently.

So for all of you out there feeling like you are not recovering as quickly, have faith. Everyone recovers differently.

Thanks for encouraging those behind you. You seem to be doing well, but please don’t lose sight of the fact that there is still healing going on. Take things slow, as you are and listen to your body. It will give you cues when you’re doing too much. I hope you’re having a nice Autumn and I’m betting this holiday season you’ll be feeling a lot better than the last. Good things still to come! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom