THR Not going as planned

@upser ... I've sent you a second Personal Message (PM) regarding your accounts being merged. Please read it and respond so that I know you understand the action I've taken. If you don't know how to access your personal messages, post a request here on your thread and I'll assist you.

Well, I just got to say, I think you are doing very well! Bfam85 gave you some really good advice.. it doesn't happen overnight, to be sure. The part I noticed is that you have days where there is no pain and what you are getting are more like little reminders to take it a little easier. We all face this multiple times throughout our recovery, which can be over a year long.
Straight leg lifts? I scrolled up and read Josephine's advice to you and I want to remind you of what she said.. some of those exercises are more harmful than good for you.
You are doing very well and am not sure why you would assume your hip is failing and to answer your question, if it was, I doubt it would be so subtle.

Try to relax and appreciate your new hip and remember all of the dramatic tissue upset that occurred in having it replaced.. you are doing really well!:flwrysmile:
I guess the reason I feel it’s failing is because 1. Over 12 weeks now and still having pains. 2. The pain is on the outside of my leg about 1/2 to 2/3 down the leg and in the groin. Those are two places I’ve read can be a sign of a failing hip. There’s also tightness on top of the leg right at the crease where the leg meets the body. Honestly, if I had a job that didn’t have me on my feet so much, climbing, and carrying things, I’d be working right now.

@upser please don't be concerned at all....I will be 12 weeks PO on Monday...and I have never done any straight leg raises...they hurt too much. Besides, when you think about it, when do we ever functionally need to do that move?! If I were to guess why some of your aches and pains are still coming and going, I would bet that to be the one main reason. We are sold a bill of goods that we will have "forgotten" hips by this time...nonsense! It will take a full year and more to feel completely healed and the implant "implanted"...The word you used is "Progressively" gotten better. That's the way this is. You are doing great....enjoy your new life.
“We are sold a bill of goods.” You got that right. The way the doctor talks, you’d think you’ll be feeling like a brand new person by this time.

Hi @upser
Have you ever stopped ALL of the exercises, Josephine, crossed off in Post # 55
If so, did you notice improvement?
If you stopped them, have you recently started them again?

Thanks for the responses everybody.
Hi @upser
Have you ever stopped ALL of the exercises, Josephine, crossed off in Post # 55
If so, did you notice improvement?
If you stopped them, have you recently started them again?
I quit doing them at home. I do some light stretches for my back(pelvic tilts), calf stretches, and light hamstring stretches. I did go to PT last week, but I’m seriously considering stopping. It does SEEM like I feel less pain the longer it’s been since I’ve been. I really like my PT. He’s actually who told me my low back problems were probably caused by my hip. He doesn’t push me if something hurts, but I understand why I may need to quit. I’m just scared to. Honestly, if I had a desk job or just about any job besides the one I have, I’d be working right now and not worried about it. I’m probably just stressing about nothing, but this far out? I thought I’d be like new. Honestly, the hip is better. It moves better. My back is better. I can put my socks on again. There’s just tightness in the hip, pains that come and go and I thought it would all be gone by now.

It does SEEM like I feel less pain the longer it’s been since I’ve been.

If that's the case, then please consider stepping away from the PT and exercises for now. Don't be afraid, you can always return at a later date. Why don't you try to stay away for one month and see how you feel. See if you find yourself progressively feeling better. What do you have to lose? What you're doing now isn't working for you, so consider giving your body another month to heal without pushing it. What if it's the answer....what if it works?
If you don't give it a dedicated try, you'll never know...

I’m probably just stressing about nothing, but this far out? I thought I’d be like new.

I'm not sure where you got this idea but it's unrealistic. You experienced major surgery. Watch the video within this article -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-approaches-or-incisions.5428/

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We care. :wave:

Last edited:
If that's the case, then please consider stepping away from the PT and exercises for now. Don't be afraid, you can always return at a later date. Why don't you try to stay away for one month and see how you feel. See if you find yourself progressively feeling better. What do you have to lose? What you're doing now isn't working for you, so consider giving your body another month to heal without pushing it. What if it's the answer....what if it works?
If you don't give it a dedicated try, you'll never know...

I'm not sure where you got this idea but it's unrealistic. You experienced major surgery. Watch the video within this article -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-approaches-or-incisions.5428/

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We care. :wave:
Thanks Layla. I’ll definitely keep updates. I didnt watch the video. I’d probably get sick. But I am realizing it’s harder on the body than I realized. I think the 3 month return to work schedule that the surgeon gave was overly optimistic and then when I wasn’t ready I started thinking something is wrong with me.i did read on this site that it takes 3-6 months, sometimes longer, to go back to work for physically demanding jobs and I’m just now at 3. I think I’ll lay off PT and see what happens. I can’t wait to post with, “I made it through my first day of work.” Thanks a lot for calming me down.

Evening @upser. I've watched the video, I found it informing with what can be done to help us stay out of the wheelchair longer, fascinating. I'm not quite to two weeks now on my second hip. I found this site a month I believe before my right hip replacement. Learning from others the do's and do not's helped me prepare for the surgery and recovery. When we want to be successful in an area we must seek out the ones that have succeeded in that area and learn from them how to get where we want to go safely. This site is full of successful people in this journey. Relax in where you are at and build on it slowly giving your body time to let you know when it is ready for the next step ahead. Take care, be easy on your body. Kinda like fishing, you can't get the fish to hurry up to the hook. You gotta wait for them to come.

Okay everybody. I’ve got a question. I was massaging my surgical scar a few weeks ago. I got on it pretty hard for a few minutes. When I got done, there’s actually an indention in my leg where the scar is. No pain or anything, it’s just sunk in slightly. Now, about 3 weeks later, it’s still there. What’s up with that?
Also, my groin pain seems to be going away.....I think. It hasn’t been bothering me nearly as much as it was so....fingers crossed. But the pain on outside thigh is still there when I first get up. Goes away after I walk for a little bit, so hopefully that will disappear soon.

HI @upser :flwrysmile: I actually have that indentation, too, on my THR- Anterior- from 4 years ago. I tried several massage techniques to ease up that indentation but nothing helped. I'm guessing its just the nature of the beast around a strong muscle and fascia. At least that is how I view it, maybe others will have a better philosophy about it?
Lets see what others say on here..

Hi @upser
I believe what you describe as an indentation can be quite normal. Many complain of bumps along side, or pits at the top or bottom of their incision scar. My understanding is it happens when fat or muscle are lost as part of the underlying structure of the skin.

I'd advise massaging gently, as opposed to aggressively and use a lotion or cream so your fingers glide easily. Some suggestions would be Bio Oil, E45 Cream, Coconut Oil or Palmer's Cocoa Butter Cream with Vitamin E which I used myself and liked. I'm happy to hear your groin pain is going away. Hopefully the thigh pain will ease also. Are you staying away from the exercises...if you don't mind me asking? Hopefully you are, and that's what's doing the trick.
Have a great day!

Hi @upser
I believe what you describe as an indentation can be quite normal. Many complain of bumps along side, or pits at the top or bottom of their incision scar. My understanding is it happens when fat or muscle are lost as part of the underlying structure of the skin.

I'd advise massaging gently, as opposed to aggressively and use a lotion or cream so your fingers glide easily. Some suggestions would be Bio Oil, E45 Cream, Coconut Oil or Palmer's Cocoa Butter Cream with Vitamin E which I used myself and liked. I'm happy to hear your groin pain is going away. Hopefully the thigh pain will ease also. Are you staying away from the exercises...if you don't mind me asking? Hopefully you are, and that's what's doing the trick.
Have a great day!
I still have a small bit of swelling directly on the side of my hip. I can feel it if I rub both hips and I can feel the difference. I’ve read the swelling could take up to 6 months for it all to go away.
I’m not doing any exercises. I’ve just started walking instead. I thought I’d walk 3 times a day, 1/2 a mile each time, with a hill half way through the route. I know it’s only been 2 days but I’m already Wondering why it’s still hurting when I first get up. I know....patience. I’m also really aggravated at the stiffness in the hip. I’m SO hoping this will go away. I keep telling myself I’m 12.5 weeks PO and I could work a less strenuous job, but every time I read somebody’s story and they’re 3 to 6 weeks PO and walking 2 miles or biking and hiking it makes me wonder what’s wrong with mine. I guess all I can do is give it a couple weeks and see if it’s better. I’ll update later.

HI @upser :flwrysmile: I actually have that indentation, too, on my THR- Anterior- from 4 years ago. I tried several massage techniques to ease up that indentation but nothing helped. I'm guessing its just the nature of the beast around a strong muscle and fascia. At least that is how I view it, maybe others will have a better philosophy about it?
Lets see what others say on here..
It was just weird the way it appeared. It was like I had mashed the swelling out or something. But since it didn’t hurt, I just kinda forgot about it.

I've got a "dent" that never filled in. It's not like I'm ever going to be an underwear model so I really don't care. You'll be wondering why it still hurts a little at 6 mo, nobody tells you about this stuff usually. I was lucky as I had people I knew that had been through it and laid more of a realistic timeline down. As far as I'm concerned my hip soon to be hips will never really be mine other than that I own them.

I understand it's tempting to compare our recovery with that of others. You'll always find some are ahead, some are behind. Your body is healing and will continue to heal for many months to come. You're only three months post op. Looking at your signature I see it's your anniversary tomorrow so....Happy Three Month Anniversary!

Swelling can last even longer than six months from what I've heard and read and many find they need to take a few steps upon rising before all settles. I like your new walking program. I hope you do too.
Give it a good shot and try not to worry about anything for a few weeks and see if gradually eases. It can take several weeks to recover from overdoing it.
I hope you have a great end to the week!
@upser

Well, it’s been a couple weeks since I posted. So here’s an update. I’m 3.5 months PO. Things continue to improve slowly. Had appointment with surgeon on August 9th. I thought they were going to X-ray, but he didn’t. He just talked about recovery. I guess since I’m continuing to improve, slowly, then he thinks nothing’s is wrong. Wants to see me again at 6 months PO. Yesterday I decided to go for a walk to see what I could do. I walked 2 miles of a very hilly route, averaging 2.5 mph. At the end my thighs were definitely feeling like they’d been worked, but I wasn’t hurting. I sure got out of breath easier than I used to though. Best walk yet. I try to run, just to see how it feels, for a very short distance. It doesn’t really hurt, but it feels like it’s too weak to take the pounding. I don’t have plans to ever run again but I’d like to be able to if I need to. So hopefully, in another 6 weeks, I’ll be back to work. I’ll update again after I “test” myself again.

Sounds about right, the quick recovery is pretty rare in reality. A friend just went back to work 3 mos after THR. He's still limping and I haven't spoken to him yet but others say he might be sorry he went back already. It's been 1 1/2 years for me and it's still improving.

Hi @upser
Thanks for the update. There are a few members who've returned to running with the knowledge that it's high impact and most often not recommended, as it can speed up the wear of the prosthetic joint. I'm sure if you had to run away from danger, or do quick jog to catch up to someone / something, you could. I don't know that it's necessary to test yourself at this point.

Consider swimming as exercise in an effort to slowly build up your muscles while preventing an injury to your new hip. My guess is you're short of breath because you're overdoing it. Ease into your walks if you haven't been walking, slowly increasing your distance. It would be wise to ice and elevate also after walking to reduce the risk of inflammation.

Wishing you the best as your body continues healing. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Glad you are now seeing progress. For me the progress was noticeable between 3-6 months from the op but I still get stiff first thing in the morning. Don’t compare recoveries as it really is different for everyone. The walking obviously suits you and icing afterwards will really help.

Sounds about right, the quick recovery is pretty rare in reality. A friend just went back to work 3 mos after THR. He's still limping and I haven't spoken to him yet but others say he might be sorry he went back already. It's been 1 1/2 years for me and it's still improving.
Yeah the quick recovery seems pretty rare but every time I see “i’m 5 weeks PO and I hiked 3 miles today”(or something to that effect), it kinda sucks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks