BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Non- surgical hip problem developing after THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ritabell, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ritabell

ritabell new member

United States United States
    Anterior THR on 3/27. All is going well with the recovering hip.

After 2 months the non-surgical hip is starting with groin pain which is how the other hip started and I'm afraid I am going to need another THR so soon after #1. I was hoping for some time between THR since the non-surgical hip was not giving me any problems.

I think it's the unintended consequence of limping around on the both hips for 3 months and the recovery. Any thoughts? Any similar experiences? Any close THR surgeries?

Going to the surgeon tomorrow to get the verdict. This is so unexpected. Was feeling so good about myself and now the thought of going through this again is an emotional challenge.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
    Congrats on your new hip. Im sorry your left Hip is now giving you trouble. Was your left hip x-rayed along with your right upon diagnosis? If so, wondering what condition it was in? Needing a second replacement is a very common scenario and plays out often here. If you randomly go through threads looking at signatures, you'll notice the high rate of double hippies on the forum. Some have surgery within years of their first, some within a few short months and one member currently on the forum had a hip replaced last week, with a second just this week (one week later). It also could be that you've been favoring your newly replaced hip. I'd ice any areas of pain or discomfort for 40-60 mins, several times daily and see if it improves. If it doesn't, I'd schedule a visit with the OS for an updated x-ray if it's been awhile. I'll leave our Recovery Guidelines for you to peruse since you're still pretty early into recovery.

Stop back often, we'd love to support you as you continue on your healing journey.
    Enjoy the weekend!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @ritabell

• Like Like x 1
  3. ritabell

ritabell new member

Both hips were xrayed at my initial OS visit back in Feb. The surgical hip was bone on bone and I was in horrible pain for months, basically home bound. The nonsurgical hip xray revealed signs of osteoarthritis but no bone on bone and never bothered me at all.

I have learned that I had to schedule a separate visit (tomorrow) for the "new hip" problem as it is not a surgical follow-up. This is some type of medicare rule I am sure.

The groin pain in one spot that radiates is what concerns me and I will find out tomorrow what he says. I thought I would be done thinking about my hip 24/7 and would rather get the other one done sooner so I am not totally consumed by my hips.

I found so difficult (pre and post-op) to NOT think about my hip all the time and then worry about it of course, regardless of how I tried to distract myself. I don't think MD's realize what an emotional and mental drain these surgeries are. Or maybe they just concentrate on the surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Layla

Totally understandable. I think we all feel for you. Please let us know what you learn tomorrow.
    We're here for you! @ritabell

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think you'd be surprised to know that they do. But they cannot be sympathetic and empathic all the time, it wouldn't be humanly possible. And they must, of course, always remain objective otherwise they wouldn't be much of a doctor, would they?

It's entirely possible that your contra-lateral hip is simply complaining about the extra load it had to bear while your other hip was recovering. People frequently complain of pain in their non-operative hip.

However, if there was arthritic changes in your other hip, that could also be the cause. Hips don't have to be bone-on-bone before they become a problem.

In my time, I've see patients whose xrays were truly awful yet they walked around almost as if nothing was wrong with them. On the other hand, I've seen patients with very mild changes on the xray yet they were in really bad pain and some even had to use a wheelchair. There's no telling how this is going to affect any individual because we all are - individuals! Everyone reacts differently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

OS might understand to a point, but they are under the gun to produce for the medical group they belong to. We rate them so high on how many surgeries they perform and they do so many they really don't have time to care about more than the implant. Then throw the insurance deal in and it's crazy.
    I thought I'd be able to go quite a while without thinking about my hips but now my other side is telling me it's close. On the other hand I went to the eye Dr. today and they told me I have cataracts. I'd rather just have had the hips to think about.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. ritabell

ritabell new member

Went to the surgeon and had an MRI today of the nonsurgical hip that started bothering me 2 months into my recovery after starting PT. I developed groin pain the day after PT on 2 occasions (stopped PT) and this week developed the same pain after taking a 1/2 mile walk. MRI revealed mild osteoarthritis and HIP LABRAL TEAR of the non surgical hip. I am so upset after feeling optimistic about the recovery from the THR on 3/27. I can't see the surgeon about the MRI until Tuesday AM and will worry in the meantime. Of course I researched hip labral tears but what does this mean for a 70 year old with mild osteoarthritis in the same hip? Would they do arthroscopic or would that be a waste of time on a deteriorating hip? I hate that I have the weekend with no answer.

Any thoughts?

8. ritabell

ritabell new member

Help with hip labral tear diagnosis/ see previous post

9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh my stars, @ritabell
    I can imagine you are feeling anxious. :console2:
    Let's tag @Josephine , our nurse director...see what she thinks.

I am sorry you are possibly looking at another procedure so soon after getting this one on the road to good.

Big sympathy hugs from me!:roseshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

I'm so sorry. I'm sure you're worried, frustrated and disappointed. Understandable!
    We're here for you, no matter what. I will look forward to Jo's response.
    Sending a hug and wishing you comfort. :console2:
    @ritabell

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ritabell

ritabell new member

I PM'd Jo. It seems from my research so far that I would not be a candidate for arthroscopic because of the arthritis and my age. I just wonder how much PT works and if, in the long run, I would need another hip replacement. PT seems so optimistic about being able to help but I am postponing the inevitable? My daughter is having a baby Jan 1 in another state and I want to be able to help and worry that my nonsurgical hip will deteriorate pretty quickly like my surgical one did. I know you don't know all these answer but that's what I'm worrying about. I hate the uncertainty.

12. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It would be a waste of time
    It doesn't work. And I think you will need a replacement in the short rum, not the long!

13. ritabell

ritabell new member

Thanks for the advice. I see my surgeon Tuesday and will let you know what he recommends and what I decide.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Layla

Best of luck to you on Tuesday.
    Please keep us posted. We're here for support.
    Have a great Sunday! :wave:
    @ritabell

• Agree Agree x 1