THR Non- surgical hip labral tear after March THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritabell

Country
United States United States
10 weeks out after anterior hip replacement and am worried that the nonsurgical hip is developing problems. Don't see surgeon for 2 weeks and will ask for an x ray of non surgical hip which didn't bother me until I started PT. After strenuous PT, both hips bother me especially the top of each leg to the point where I limp the next day from pain. IS it normal for both hips(and legs) to bother me? It does go away after a day or two of rest. I do feel some groin pain also in the nonsurgical leg but don't know if it's muscular. Initially when the surgeon looked at both hips 2 months ago, he said that one was much worse than the other and the nonsurgical hip didn't present with osteoarthritis. Could the non surgical hip deteriorate in 3 months?

Very upset because of these set-backs when last weekend I was walking well without a cane and now I'm limping. Afraid I will need THR on non-surgical hip so soon.

@ritabell Welcome to BoneSmart! The first thing I suggest is that you stop all that PT completely. Aggressive PT is not needed nor is it good for new hips. Obviously your non-op hip is objecting as well. Here's our recommendation that has been tried and tested by our members:

BIG TIP:
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Are you icing and elevating your op side. This can ease any swelling that may be causing discomfort.

Here are some recovery guidelines that might help you get back on track with this recovery.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us here. :wave:

I'm sorry you're suffering pain and are concerned. I echo Jaycey's advice to stop all Physical Therapy, especially until you meet with your surgeon in two weeks. There is a possibility your other hip is arthritic and deteriorating and has been exacerbated by aggressive PT. I suggest you ice any and all areas of pain and discomfort. Take turns icing each side. The forum nurse recommends icing several times per day for no less than 40-60 minutes, each time you ice. Target 4x daily. Here is an article on Icing - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
You may also be favoring your op hip causing your non op hip to be more sensitive /achy.

If you're not taking any meds, I'd consider Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000mg, 4 x daily, to get you over the hump. Do not exceeed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period, calculating anything else containing Acetaminophen into that total (4000 mg).

Use a cane while you're limping and suffering pain also. If you do find you need surgery, you're not alone. Many members here experience hip replacements with both hips, some even undergoing surgery for both at once! Brave souls for sure. I'd try not to worry now as ice and rest may be all you need.

Please leave your exact surgery date below and which hip was replaced so the info can be applied as your signature. Thanks in advance.
Stop back often. We'll be here for support and encouragement as you continue on your healing journey :walking:
I hope you have a great day!
@ritabell

Right anterior THR on March 27. Home the next day.
I hate PT and feel that it only aggravates both legs. I have asked toes the surgeon sooner. Is it common for both hips to hurt after PT and walking?

Thanks for your quick response and encouragement. I am in a panic because I was in so much pre-surgical pain that the thought of going through that again is frightening. There is usually a 3 month waiting list around here which only added to my pain and stress.

Try not to worry. I understand it is easier said than done. Its a very good possibility that you're suffering from the aggressive PT and no more. I think if you refrain from the physical therapy, coupled with dedicated icing and OTC pain relievers this could ease and pass. Rest will help also. It could take longer than a few days also so try not to get discouraged. Check back with us whenever you'd like, we'll be here.
Remember to ice all areas that hurt for 40-60 mins each. Rotate, icing even the non op
hip/leg wherever it hurts. It will assist in easing pain and inflammation.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening. :console2:
@ritabell

PT or not, the non-op side has to work extra hard to compensate for the other. I have experienced this with my TKR (I am bilateral hips so can’t compare). I think it’s normal for your whole body to be impacted by surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

After strenuous PT, both hips bother me especially the top of each leg to the point where I limp the next day from pain.
The PT is likely your biggest problem. I stopped mine because I soon realized I was completely crippled for 2 or days following. Your good hip has been supporting your bad one and has now been thrown into a whole new adjustment. It didn't want to come to the party and is letting you know loud & clear. I suggest stopping all PT and only doing walking, maybe a bit of time in the pool walking when you've been cleared for public water.

You're lucky you got your surgery so fast!! I waited 12 months and that was bumped up 6 months when things got so much worse.

I found this site by accident and wish I found it earlier since my surgery was 2 months ago. I didn't know anyone personally who had a hip replacement and was very nervous about EVERYTHING including the pre-op testing and cardiac testing. I really needed encouragement from fellow hip sufferers but i have it now.

I feel better having read these posts especially regarding stopping PT which I was so afraid to do because of the MD and nurse strong recommendations but I should have listened to my body a few weeks ago and stopped then. I also think I was overdoing it around the house and will see if the nonsurgical hip calms down after a few days. I didn't expect the non surgical hip to flare up like this so it caught me by surprise. Will let you know what the surgeon says after he looks at the X-ray. I hope I don't need the other hip replaced but would rather get it done sooner than later since my daughter is having a baby in January and I want to be there to help because she's out of state.

Thanks again.

Good Morning :hi:
We're happy you found us (BoneSmart)....better late than never. You'll find support here whenever you need it so take comfort in that.

Aside from reading others members threads there is a lot of helpful information to be found here.
Check out the Library if interested - https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/library.31/
I hope you're icing and taking it easy. Happy Thursday!
@ritabell

Anterior THR on 3/27. All is going well with the recovering hip.

After 2 months the non-surgical hip is starting with groin pain which is how the other hip started and I'm afraid I am going to need another THR so soon after #1. I was hoping for some time between THR since the non-surgical hip was not giving me any problems.

I think it's the unintended consequence of limping around on the both hips for 3 months and the recovery. Any thoughts? Any similar experiences? Any close THR surgeries?

Going to the surgeon tomorrow to get the verdict. This is so unexpected. Was feeling so good about myself and now the thought of going through this again is an emotional challenge.

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
Congrats on your new hip. Im sorry your left Hip is now giving you trouble. Was your left hip x-rayed along with your right upon diagnosis? If so, wondering what condition it was in? Needing a second replacement is a very common scenario and plays out often here. If you randomly go through threads looking at signatures, you'll notice the high rate of double hippies on the forum. Some have surgery within years of their first, some within a few short months and one member currently on the forum had a hip replaced last week, with a second just this week (one week later). It also could be that you've been favoring your newly replaced hip. I'd ice any areas of pain or discomfort for 40-60 mins, several times daily and see if it improves. If it doesn't, I'd schedule a visit with the OS for an updated x-ray if it's been awhile. I'll leave our Recovery Guidelines for you to peruse since you're still pretty early into recovery.

Stop back often, we'd love to support you as you continue on your healing journey.
Enjoy the weekend!

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @ritabell

Both hips were xrayed at my initial OS visit back in Feb. The surgical hip was bone on bone and I was in horrible pain for months, basically home bound. The nonsurgical hip xray revealed signs of osteoarthritis but no bone on bone and never bothered me at all.

I have learned that I had to schedule a separate visit (tomorrow) for the "new hip" problem as it is not a surgical follow-up. This is some type of medicare rule I am sure.

The groin pain in one spot that radiates is what concerns me and I will find out tomorrow what he says. I thought I would be done thinking about my hip 24/7 and would rather get the other one done sooner so I am not totally consumed by my hips.

I found so difficult (pre and post-op) to NOT think about my hip all the time and then worry about it of course, regardless of how I tried to distract myself. I don't think MD's realize what an emotional and mental drain these surgeries are. Or maybe they just concentrate on the surgery.

I thought I would be done thinking about my hip 24/7 and would rather get the other one done sooner so I am not totally consumed by my hips

Totally understandable. I think we all feel for you. Please let us know what you learn tomorrow.
We're here for you! @ritabell

I don't think MD's realize what an emotional and mental drain these surgeries are. Or maybe they just concentrate on the surgery.
I think you'd be surprised to know that they do. But they cannot be sympathetic and empathic all the time, it wouldn't be humanly possible. And they must, of course, always remain objective otherwise they wouldn't be much of a doctor, would they?

It's entirely possible that your contra-lateral hip is simply complaining about the extra load it had to bear while your other hip was recovering. People frequently complain of pain in their non-operative hip.

However, if there was arthritic changes in your other hip, that could also be the cause. Hips don't have to be bone-on-bone before they become a problem.

In my time, I've see patients whose xrays were truly awful yet they walked around almost as if nothing was wrong with them. On the other hand, I've seen patients with very mild changes on the xray yet they were in really bad pain and some even had to use a wheelchair. There's no telling how this is going to affect any individual because we all are - individuals! Everyone reacts differently.

I found so difficult (pre and post-op) to NOT think about my hip all the time and then worry about it of course, regardless of how I tried to distract myself. I don't think MD's realize what an emotional and mental drain these surgeries are. Or maybe they just concentrate on the surgery.
OS might understand to a point, but they are under the gun to produce for the medical group they belong to. We rate them so high on how many surgeries they perform and they do so many they really don't have time to care about more than the implant. Then throw the insurance deal in and it's crazy.
I thought I'd be able to go quite a while without thinking about my hips but now my other side is telling me it's close. On the other hand I went to the eye Dr. today and they told me I have cataracts. I'd rather just have had the hips to think about.

Went to the surgeon and had an MRI today of the nonsurgical hip that started bothering me 2 months into my recovery after starting PT. I developed groin pain the day after PT on 2 occasions (stopped PT) and this week developed the same pain after taking a 1/2 mile walk. MRI revealed mild osteoarthritis and HIP LABRAL TEAR of the non surgical hip. I am so upset after feeling optimistic about the recovery from the THR on 3/27. I can't see the surgeon about the MRI until Tuesday AM and will worry in the meantime. Of course I researched hip labral tears but what does this mean for a 70 year old with mild osteoarthritis in the same hip? Would they do arthroscopic or would that be a waste of time on a deteriorating hip? I hate that I have the weekend with no answer.

Any thoughts?

Help with hip labral tear diagnosis/ see previous post

Oh my stars, @ritabell
I can imagine you are feeling anxious. :console2:
Let's tag @Josephine , our nurse director...see what she thinks.

I am sorry you are possibly looking at another procedure so soon after getting this one on the road to good.

Big sympathy hugs from me!:roseshwr:

I'm so sorry. I'm sure you're worried, frustrated and disappointed. Understandable!
We're here for you, no matter what. I will look forward to Jo's response.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort. :console2:
@ritabell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties