TKR No surprises!!

Amen!! Thank you for the chuckle and the smile!! :loll:People around me during this journey give me these odd looks when i refer to my knees as the lads or "she" - Heaven knows where that came from that day, but it was worth the chuckle. Anyway, "up with the good and down with the bad" only works so well when the "kids" know who is good and who is bad - LOL - i just made a funny. I suspect you will be just fine given your fine sense of humor and humble, prayerful approach to all of this. When I was awakened after the first knee replacement, I was teary and thankful, not only to be alive, but most importantly, because He allowed me the opportunity to replace a joint that was really, really, really not working anymore. I knew I needed to replace that right knee - it was the worst of the pair - and, I was just overwhelmed with thanks upon realization that it was ok to replace His work with some stuff from down here. It scared some around me when I told them that I was not frightened by the surgery and the rare, potential complications - If He wants me home, then I guess my work on Earth is done. LOL - it is ok that He's got more in store for me - i just have to pay attention to the signs. You will be just fine, I trust and pray - along with more of those private conversations with "your gals" - lefty and righty!! Cute, very cute. All the Best ~ Pat

Thanks Pat, I always figured when my time is up, I really won't have a choice in the matter. I don't have the time to worry about that! Keep climbing the mountains.... :hiking:

Ski season - December 2017!!!:yes!:

we don't have skier emoji , so i selected my "yes" lad above!! be well ~ Pat

Hi Everyone..........
  • PT today - left knee - passive extension only 14 degrees from straight; active extension - they got me to 7 degrees (very comfortable pressure, not excessive, etc)
I am 10 weeks post op left knee; 20 weeks post op right knee. We had right knee at 5 degrees back at its 10 week spot - this darned left knee just does not want to keep up with his big brother. For those of you who have had bilateral replacements, is this ok or normal or manageable? Apologies for dumb, rambling question.....I had higher expectations for the left lad and he seems to have amind of his own.

Next......energy drain and spasms in left knee are my newest best (ok, not so much) friends. Been eating bananas, drinking plenty of water, and today, PT suggested round of stretching before retiring for teh night.

Normal right? or am i losing my bonnet i.e. off me bloody rocker! Thank you for your input everyone. so many of you have been down this road before and I am still just a puppy - but, motivated and I guess, perhaps, a wee bit on the impatient side......thanks again ~ Pat

We all go through that impatience problem! This is such a long, recovery. We want it right now!

Have you tried resting your leg on an ottoman to let gravity help with that extension? I laid on my tummy with my thighs on the edge of the bed and let my legs hang over. I would stay that way as long as possible. But, what I think helped me the most was taking really log strides when I walked and concentrating on toe to heel foot placement.

Good Morning: Your response is comforting - "yes, on all counts!!" Perhaps, I "am" headed in the correct direction. At-home PT introduced me to resting leg/foot on something and allowing gravity to help. Have been doing that since March surgery. Later, they introduced me to the prone position and suspend leg over edge of bed or PT table. Finally, we've been working on the gait/stride/walk. Thanks for your input - I need to find that patience potion! ~ Pat

I had bilateral replacements, and my left knee lagged quite a bit behind my right. Not sure why except Lefty was the worse knee going into surgery. Righty got 0 extension early; Lefty was at 3-4 and very slowly, and just recently, got to 0. But he did get there! I did what you've already been told will help--the ottoman stretch, quad squeezes to press the knee flat on my bed or ottoman, and lots of walking. In fact, the walking probably did the trick. It's a natural and low stress way to rehab the knees.

Never had spasms, so don't know much about those, but others have suffered them and say they eventually stop. But no, you're not losing your bonnet. :) :-) (: You're experiencing the very normal difference between your two knees. My OS told me that in bilateral replacements almost always one knee will lag the other. Over the course of your recovery, they'll catch up. My knees still aren't equal. The left is more temperamental, likes to complain if not positioned just-so at night, and is a tad stiffer when I wake up or stand from sitting for a while. But Lefty is catching up and I expect my knees will soon both be perfectly fine.

Your knees will end up in a good place. Patience is difficult, but we don't have a lot of choice, do we? We're in for the whole journey. :flwrysmile:

Congratulations to you!! All that progress since May of this year!! Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.:)

I would sometimes get leg cramps overnight too. My PT recommended a couple of stretches before bed and they did help.

Thank you. Yesterday, PT made the same suggestion to me. Tried them last night after a hot bath and I think it did help. another helpful tool for use along this memorable journey..............

These journeys are certainly memorable for all of us. Nothing else is like a TKR recovery. If you haven't had one, then you can't relate. That's why this site is so helpful. Everyone of us have been through it!

While we continue to send our prayers and best wishes to Texas, we are bidding adieu to summer this chilly and forecast to be wet New England Labor Day weekend. Stretches and hot bath before bed have helped quiet the left knee down during overnight. Left knee does have a mind of its own though. 12.5 weeks post op and it still does not want to play nice with his big brother who is 22.5 weeks post op. Descending stairs in a normal fashion - just walk down - continues to be a goal. With support, I have begun to slowly walk down the stairs - still feel that ache or whatever behind the kneecaps. Ascending stairs is coming along quite nicely. The best news this week was at PT. Passive extension - me doing all the work - was our best at the beginning of the week and measured 8 degrees from straight; right knee measured 3 degrees from straight. That was very good news; first time right knee has been better than -5. I am thankful to be able to continue PT (2x/week) for four more weeks and suspect there may be a transition toward discharge when I meet the surgeon for followup in early October.

I am not ready to be skiing, yet. Moving in the correct direction for first turns in early December!! Two new knees and having eliminated a host of pounds (weight), I ought to be skiing and teaching like a rock star?!!? Well, maybe not so much. Let's see how the lads feel about playing in the snow, first. (I have no desire to be a revision candidate due to my recklessness.) Be well, everyone. Just sharing newest news - mostly positive and reflective of more light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm glad you've made gains in extension, it's often last to come to the party. But if someone else is "doing the work" that may be part of the problem. Walking is great for extension as it stretches out as you take longer strides.

Thanks, KarriB. Agreed on the walking. Have been doing a lot of "purposeful" steps with an emphasis on the stride and the extension. Have also been hanging the legs over the edge of the bed while prone and letting the knees sag while foot on a chair or otterman. Am fortunate to be with good PT and PTA's. We have fun.

I find that I get more purposeful stride length too outside when I'm using my trekking poles. Sounds like the extension is coming. I was a 5 for months. I've just started seeing improvements this last month or so.

Good Morning, All:

Apologies for not posting anything in one year. For those who have supported me and helped me during journey, an update is in order. For those who I have not met, an update nonetheless. I am just about 18 months out from right TKR and just about 15 months on the left TKR. 2017-2018 ski season was very good!! I managed 40 days on snow last season; knees performed well, once I got my 'head' out of the game. That is, when I stopped worrying. Met with surgeon in June 2018 for first year follow-up. My activity level remains high; I sleep without knee pain interruption for multiple hours versus the 1-2 hours pre-op; and we discussed some do's and don'ts for me. Flexion is at 128-130 degrees and Extension is 0-2 degrees. I am not at my final weight goal, yet, but have not gained any of the weight I lost in 2017 and am very thankful for that. My surgeon had a quizzical look on his face in June 2018 as I reviewed things that I was doing and checking on things I was contemplating doing. Without making this post overly long, we discussed that I am young (61), lead an active lifestyle, and revisions never come out as well as the original TKR. He described one patient who did not heed post-op activities advice who required a revision. After providing specific suggestions/responses to my questions, he summed up his review and advice for me in two words, "be sensible." Words that really ring truer and truer each time I am out walking, hiking, swimming, and, soon - skiing. As summer leaves us in New England and preparation begins for 2018-2019 ski season - "be sensible" - will be the theme as I work toward a return to 50+ days on snow! Old Farmers Almanac and Farmers Almanac are "forecasting" seasonable conditions?!?! Go figure, huh?:snow plough::)

Reactions: DLR
Great to hear you’re doing so well!

Thanks, Karri! I will continue to hear the surgeon's words.............."be sensible." Neither one of us wants to have to discuss a revision. I am very blessed; very fortunate. Healing was sooo good and return to normalcy was so seamless that I did not have the ability to make or find the time to be a more timely reporter to BoneSmart.
I am very appreciative of the help so many people offered me. Perhaps, my journey will calm/inspire someone along the road....just like you and so many like you on BoneSmart do....... Leaves are beginning to change colors in NH - lol - we will have teasing summer weather for a couple of days, then, chills.........until Indian Summer arrives later this month. Long way before we will start making snow in New England!! Take care. :) :-) (:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back