Revision TKR No patience

I think we all can understand when your first getting out of bed. I call it: some parts wake up much quicker than others. I too have to sit on the bed prior to getting up.

What's important is you learn what works for you and do it.

Everyone, thank you for your replies. It was better today.
Today was a what will Angel do next day! This whole journey has been a challenge compared to the 2 previous TKRs. I was going down steps with my cane, when suddenly both feet slipped off the edge of the step. Both feet hit the step straight up at the same time. I did not fall but jarred my revision and made it sore and stiff. It’s a miracle I didn’t fall. I’m sure it will be a few days for the soreness to go away. As my surgeon tells me: s l o w down!

I’m so glad you didn’t fall! We have a saying in our house, “every day is a surprise!” which mostly refers to what hurts new, or what we’ve done physically that we wish we hadn’t. :heehee:

Hi @Jockette and everyone, my pain had improved but now I’m having problems again. My thigh, hip and behind my knee is painful impairing my ability to walk well. It feels like a nerve as it travels and is kind of a weird feeling. I *think* I started it trying to hang my new shower head. I couldn’t get the old one completely off and even tried a pipe wrench. No deal. I’ve called for someone to help. My leg started bothering me the next day.
I’m so tired of this revision. It’s definitely not like the replacement recovery.
Thanks for reading.

@Angel17701 Being alone makes everything harder in recovery! It's extremely interesting to see what the body comes up with to give us aches and pains... cheeks aren't off limits! My aOs said that using the knee properly after not being able to for so long makes us use muscles we haven't had before, it's like we're breaking our legs (and cheeks!) in correctly, so they are hurting for a while. My calf is sore, and feels tight, who knows WHY,but there you go.
You sound like you are making progress, and I know it's so hard to wait for time to pass, it sure is for me, but it will get better!!

Being alone with nobody to share with is hard.
This is what we are here for. Come and vent any time. Unfortunately, we can’t help you hang your new shower head, but we can offer hugs and understanding. :console2: You are braver than I, I wouldn’t have attempted to do that job myself!

I normally wouldn’t have either but it’s so hard to get help and it looked easy and the one I have is leaking.
I’m just discouraged my leg started paining again. I feel like I’m never going to be able to walk normally. I have noticed it’s when I push off with my toes is when it hurts the most.
My husband was always here for me. I have anxiety too which makes it worse.

I’m sorry this has triggered more pain. Our knee/leg is so sensitive, still, at 2-3 months post op. My knee was such an extreme Drama Queen that I renamed my thread after it!

I‘m sure this is extra stressful without your husband. I can’t even imagine having another replacement without mine, but that’s how it will be if I need another. Sending lots of hugs and prayers. :console2: :prayer:

It’s definitely not like the replacement recovery.
I just watched the revision surgery animation. I can see why the recovery would be tougher. Depending on one's age and how long the prosthetics last, I guess all TKR's may have a revision in their future. I hope you heal well.

Hi @Jockette and all,
As you know I’m recovering from a right knee replacement revision (9/24). When I gave up the walker a month ago shortly after that I got this sharp pain behind my knee radiating up my the front of my thigh. It has taken my breath away and caused my knee to give out. Some days there’s no pain at all and none when I’m sitting or sleeping. Only when I walk. If I do a lot or try to, it’s worse. Stretching seems to help at least temporarily.
I’m so discouraged. I see my surgeon next week. I don’t want to go before that as I get pushed off to the PA.
It’s so scary when my knee buckles. I’m trying to keep it together emotionally but it’s hard. I can’t live like this for the rest of my life.

I’m sorry your knee is buckling and I’m glad you’ll see your surgeon next week. Ask for X-rays if he doesn’t offer just to be sure all is well. (My surgeon did X-rays at every check up, and he required a lot of check ups.) In the mean time be sure to use a walking aid. :console2:

Higs and prayers that all is well and you just need more healing time.

@Angel17701 You had surgery about 4 days ahead of me and I understand regarding the nerve type pain and the weakness in the leg, the fear of it buckling. Some nerve pain is completely normal for everyone to get and subsides with time. I do think the new shower head might have been overdoing it a bit - depending on your height you might have overstretched yourself to get it up on the wall and doing so would also have put a lot of weight on your knee- not the best idea in the world but completely understandable. Are you pushing yourself too hard to recover and get things done around you? Don’t do anything that causes you pain and don’t let others cause you pain. If walking hurts reduce the length and intensity of your walk. Rest, ice, compress and elevate.
I am glad you are seeing your OS soon, make sure to tell them how you are progressing And that you would like X-rays done. Here in Ireland it’s standard practice for your OS to have X-rays taken to make sure everything is where it’s suppose to be and that it is healing. If he/she says your knee is fine ask them about nerve pain.
I was doing great for the first 4 weeks healing perfectly and then a sudden setback which involved the leg buckling and increasing pain levels. My OS said my knee was perfect and was confused by what was going on. By week 8 I went to my GP and he agreed to put me on nerve pain medication, Gabapentin, it was worth trying. This morning I had the best morning since the setback first started, I am in no way better but I am improved and that gives me hope.
Its the small improvements every day that give us hope:yes:

I just stretched out on the floor and did some stretching. I noticed the the puffiness behind my knee disappeared afterwards. It felt good to stretch behind my leg and my back.
Thank you @Eire1 as you have given me a glimmer of hope that things can get better. Feeling that pain and your knee giving out is darn scary.
@Jockette I always appreciate your replies too.

@Jockette I’ve done this before with previous knee surgeries. I lay on the floor at the top of the stairs. I use the top step and the rails to to get up. Pushing up with my quads assured me they aren’t weak. I have, felt twinges of the pain since but stopping and consciously stretching the leg helped.

Wow, at the top of the stairs! :yikes: You are braver than I am! I’m glad you have a way that works for you.

I have only been on the floor once since my surgery more than 4 years ago. And that was only because I fell off my husband‘s walker when I attempted to use it as a chair, on an uncarpeted floor, and it rolled away from me before I could sit on it and I landed on the floor! It was a struggle to get up, I was 3 years post op. I am now very careful with chairs that have wheels and are not on carpet. :doh:

@Angel17701 - keep that handyman’s number on hand- it’s worth it in the long run.
Fair play , as they say here, using the stairs the way you do is an excellent idea-( it’s a compliment!)

@Jockette They are carpeted too so I don’t worry about slipping. With two railings I feel secure getting up. I know the kind of walker you’re referring to as my mom had one. They really slide! I remember putting the brakes on for her to sit down. I’m thankful you got up unscathed.

@Eire1He’s a good man but is hard to get sometimes as he’s known for his honesty and good work. He worked here when my husband was alive.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom