Revision TKR No patience

@Jockette @Pumpkin
Thanks to whoever put all of my posts together.
Do you think the course of antibiotics is correct? I wondered why 5 days and not 7. I guess it depends on if there is an infection or if it’s being used as a prophylaxis. Thanks.

I merged your threads, you’re welcome!

I can’t answer your question about the antibiotic, but I did report it to the rest of the staff for their input.

I've not heard of this before, but I suspect the nurse and GP you talked with are just exercising a lot of caution. Keflex is a broad spectrum antibiotic, so it would take care of any bacteria that may have entered your blood stream when you clipped the skin. I am a bit confused about the 5-day period for the prescription, though, as it is recommended to take it for at least 7 days. If that concerns you, call your GP or pharmacist and ask them about it. I'd be interested to hear what they say, as I can't recall any of our members being on antibiotics for something like this.

@Jamie Thank you for your reply. The Dr, according to the nurse I spoke to, felt that because it is the toe on my surgical leg it would be wise to take the Cephalexin. As for the duration, the only reason I can come up with for the 5 days versus the 7, is that it’s being used prophylactically instead of treating an active infection. I’m going to speak with my surgeon and my PCP tomorrow. Thanks again.
As for other members not being treated for something like this, they’re likely smart enough not to rip into the skin when cutting their toenails. It wasn’t my most brilliant moment.

We all have those moments. I'm glad you're going to ask and I'll be interested in the response. That does make sense because it's on your surgical leg and you're so new out of the procedure. It sounds like you have a very conscientious doctor.

I just read your thread and I'm so sorry for all the struggles you've had, especially losing your husband. Trimming toenails is definitely a struggle; I'm still struggling trimming my toenails 11 months after broken femur. Can you get anyone in to do it for you? When my father-in-law was living with us, we arranged for a service to send someone in every so often to do his toenails. Good luck and take care, especially with winter around the corner.

Can you get anyone in to do it for you? When my father-in-law was living with us, we arranged for a service to send someone in every so often to do his toenails.
My husband went to a podiatrist regularly to have his toenails cut, since he couldn’t do it himself. Medicare covered most of the cost.

Hello, I had my revision on my left knee on 9/24. It was a complicated revision that took about 5 hours. I’m home and have been doing well. To back up a bit: my MCL was torn away from the bone and my OS had a lot of reconstruction work to do.
I’ve been to PT, which went well.
Today I did a stupid thing; my dog was racing to get out the door (she wasn’t supposed to be out) and I’m standing in the doorway with my walker and I put my surgical leg out to stop her. She pushed my leg sideways and it felt like a stitch tore. I’m wearing an immobilizer too but my leg is achy tonight. I still have a bandage on which comes off Thursday.
Anyone else ever do something dumb? Ugh! I’m praying I didn’t undo anything. I’m moving around without problems and there’s no black and blue marks.
Thanks.
Angel17701, I had a similar situation. i have a large dog who sleeps with me/us when hes hime from OTR, and she plopped down one night on my knee. It hurt, was worried she messed it up, but it was fine. scared the :censored: out of me.

@Jamie and everyone…you’re all so kind! My surgeon was not concerned!! He said I didn’t need antibiotics unless it gets infected. Hmmm, isn’t it better to prevent a problem than deal with something like an infection after the fact. That said, my family doctor is always on top of things and believes her colleague who took care of me after hours absolutely did the right thing. She is extremely conscientious and I have complete trust in her. She told me to continue the Cephalexin and if it causes stomach upset to cut back to 2 capsules a day until gone. She said the 20 capsules should be fine and that she would have prescribed the Cephalexin.
I’m resting today as I went out yesterday for the first time with my car and went to the market and drugstore.
I had to stop physical therapy (OS approved) as the last time I was there, the PTA put weights on my ankles and it was pulling too hard on my revision putting a strain on the repaired MCL avulsion fracture. I remembered the Bonesmart mantra regarding aggressive PT and I definitely don’t want my repaired ligament ripped. Why didn’t she put the weight on my thigh and taken the stress off my knee? My ROM is good as is balance.

@benne68 YES! I regret going that last day as my OS had given me permission to stop. My leg felt injured and stretched to the point of loose after weights.I canceled my remaining appointments.
She was supposedly strengthening my quads. She also had a band on the surgical leg and was pulling my leg out and told me to pull it back against her pull. That hurt too.

Smart move to stop with that therapist. As you figured out, those exercises weren't doing you any good and could have set your recovery back (or worse). I'm so glad you've learned these things from BoneSmart. We LOVE hearing that our members get smarter and take an active role in their recovery.

Hi everyone, I don’t know how to add this new topic to my previous thread. I’m sorry.
My knee has been giving me fits (9weeks). Today my thigh ached when walking, my knee is stiff. Yesterday and the day before I had a hard time walking as it felt like a nerve was being irritated when I took a step. Okay I’m not patient. I know that. I’m not using my cane like I should. I’ve done step overs on the stairs too much. I did 2 loads of laundry and brought linens upstairs and changed my bed. I think I’m doing too much. I’ve also been out to the store. The last 2 knee surgeries my husband was here to help and wait on me. He was wonderful. Now that he passed I’m trying to do it all and it’s too soon. My knee is sore and stiff. I iced tonight for the first time in weeks.
Thanks for reading. I’m sorry this isn’t attached to my original thread.

@Angel17701 It is easy to overdo, and then of course everything feels all achy and sore. I don't really know what a revision consists of, or why one needs to go through this. I see you have had both knees replaced within the past three ish years. I'm so sorry your husband has passed away, I'm sure all this has made you remember how he cared for you during your previous surgeries.
I'm sure you remember how much time it took to recover from your TKRs and the patience involved. Nerve pain is the worst, isn't it? I hope you rest from all your hard work around the house. On the positive side, those clean sheets on your bed will feel so good. :sleeep:

Hello Angel17701, I am so sorry you are having such a bad time of it. It is very easy to push yourself too far and focus on getting stuff done in order to distract yourself from what you have gone through- I have done it myself. Is there any chance you could get some help from friends or family? Your husband sounds like he was your rock and I am so sorry for your loss.
Give yourself a chance to take a deep breath and ask yourself if you really need to do as much as you are doing? Your knee let you know this evening when you had to ice that it wasn’t happy- but tomorrow is another day and you know your knee will heal with enough time and by taking care of it.
Take care of yourself too:) :-) (:

I’m sorry this isn’t attached to my original thread.
I merged your thread with your original recovery thread. This thread might help you: How can I find my threads and posts?

You are indeed doing too much. Please slow down and let that knee settle. Trying to push through all this is only creating new problems.

@Reader525 @Jockette @Jaycey
Thank you so much. Not having my beloved husband, my “rock” to support me has left me broken and very alone. He was always there for me. I’m going to try to slow down.
When I first get out of bed in the morning I have a weird pain behind my knee (feels like tendons or ligaments or a nerve) and it causes my knee to give out a bit. After I’m on it and moving it stops and I move around well. I do squats and stretching and usually stairs once a day. Anyone else have problems when arising from a night’s sleep? I sleep fine and get up for the bathroom with no problem, it’s only when I get up for the day.
Yes, I’ve had 2 replacement surgeries but this revision is totally different. Definitely a longer recovery and different pains and sensations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those first few morning steps are the worst! I hobble around bent over until The Knee seems to "wake up" and the pain dissipates. I walk it off and am fine for the rest of the day.

@Angel17701 @hawk2go is right! Those first steps are the hardest. But after that, things always get better. I think I know what the pain behind your knee feels like, I had that for a while too but it eventually went away. Hang in there!

I get that knee pain too- I learned not to leap out of bed immediately but to just stop and sit at the edge and do gentle ankle rotations and stretches for a minute to “wake up” the knee. Taking that minute seems to help with the pain level and potential unsteadiness in the knee. I used to be the “get up and at them“ type of person but now rather than be the ”yell out in pain and wobble “ type of person I take a minute for me and my knee!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom